i used jl cmder to wipe my phone after this became clearly necessary. i downloaded ... Networking with PinStackers forum

joenuff no está en línea Stack level 1

Question HELP reinstall OS on 8900

Advertisement

i used jl cmder to wipe my phone after this became clearly necessary. i downloaded BB desktop and device software for my service provider. when i fire up DM and go to Application Loader I go to options and from connections drop down i select USB-PIN: 0. I am given 2 options: add/remove software, update software. In either case it tells me there is no software for my device. I'm at wit's end here. any help?

update: starting from the Application Loader instead of DM i get the same thing - just doesn't "find" the OS. where should I be browsing for the file?it's on my desktop, but install seems to install DM not OS.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Joe,

First, was the OS you downloaded from your carrier or another carrier? If it's from another carrier, you need to delete the vendor.xml file from

c:\Program Files\Common Files\Research in Motion\AppLoader

It'll be on the bottom of the list there.

Second, you might want to circumvent Desktop Manager altogether by using the Loader executable found in that same folder (AppLoader) as above. Simply double click on that executable (has a little phone icon) and take it from there.

Keep us posted!

Quote Originally Posted by joenuff View Post
    update: starting from the Application Loader instead of DM i get the same thing - just doesn't "find" the OS. where should I be browsing for the file?it's on my desktop, but install seems to install DM not OS.
    Sounds like you haven't downloaded and installed the OS, Joe.

To make sure your OS is installed on the computer, go to Control Panel>Add or Remove Programs (on XP) or Programs and Features on Vista/Windows 7. Look for anything that says BlackBerry Device Software. If there's none, you don't have the OS installed. If there's more than one, you need to uninstall the one(s) you don't want to install.

thanks for replies, Roger. as I said, Vendor is gone, i am attempting now directly from Loader. I get the following message from Loader: "The Blackberry Desktop Software does not have Blackberry Device Software for the device that you have connected to your computer. Contact..." is there an OS that will install on any 8900?

Did you make sure the OS is indeed installed on your PC as in post #6? You also need to make sure that you downloaded an OS for your 8900 and not for another device.

Not sure it makes any difference, but from Loader, connection is USB-PIN: unknown

You might need to use this thread to get your OS reinstalled.

It seems to be missing despite several installs. I'm looking o at the icon on my desktop now...i've installed 3 times and it seems to just install the DM without the OS appearing anywhere. I'll give it another go. It's definitely the official OS for TMobile 8900 (T-Mobile_ BlackBerry_8900_ v4.6.1.231).

Again, I REALLY appreciate the help.

And you see it in the Control Panel as described above?

SeRViiCiiO no está en línea Stack level 5
    joe, after you install desktop manager and then install the os, restart your computer
    Phone: T-Mo S4- Stock-Rooted

[Former]
    Device: T-Mobile S3
    Device: HTC Amaze 4G
    Device: HTC Vision (T-Mobile G2)
    Device: BlackBerry (9700, 8900,8320,8120,8100)

Apparently it was the install on my PC that was at fault. uninstalled and reinstalled a new download and all was a success. Thanks again Roger for your patience with the noob.

What I figured, Joe. Glad you got it sorted out.