Howdy, all, from a techno-challenged newbie. I ended up here while trying to solve a ... Networking with PinStackers forum

MidleAgesMan no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23E8F7D1

Hello from newbie

Advertisement

Howdy, all, from a techno-challenged newbie.

I ended up here while trying to solve a problem with my month-old Pearl. Email that had opened just fine at first suddenly stopped working. I believe a software glitch caused the device to exhibit all sorts of weird problems. The biggy was not being able to open email. Highlighting wouldn't mark individual emails--the whole list was highlighted as I scrolled through the list. When I clicked on any email a window popped up offering 5 choices, delete, mark as opened, marked as unopened, etc.

I emailed RIM support and was referred to Cingular support. They are closed and will be until Tuesday!

Somewhere along the line I found people had solved problems by removing the battery. I had turned the device off several times but removing the battery brought it back to full functionality. You'd think something that basic would be one of the first things the Cingular Non-support staff would suggest!

I've still got lots to learn about my Pearl (maps, for instance) but I'm loving it and am glad I found youse guys.

joebobmcslob no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23e22496

Re: Hello from newbie

I have had that happen to me before. What I did was get the latest updates from my provider. I have T-Mobile though... You should go to Cingular's site and search for the latest updates for your Pearl. That should fix the problem. I had the phone for about 2 weeks and it got all funky so I just updated it and now it's great. If you ever get the hourglass and white screen problem where it gets stuck and the LED is flashing red, just let it sit and leave it alone - trust me! It will take about 5 minutes but it will work fine after that. Later, happy new year and good luck with your phone-troubleshooting endeavors!
    "Mmm... Vodka and pie..."

MidleAgesMan no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23E8F7D1

Do I need to install the software on my PC to get updates from Cingular? I ask because I installed it but had to uninstall when it seemed to cause all sorts of problems with my 6 year old PC. I've got a new one coming and will install the BB Pearl software on it when it arrives.

The software glitch caused all sorts of weird stuff--last night I managed to open one email and selected reply but when I typed the reply everything was in uppercase. I couldn't figure out how to fix that so I shouted a brief reply. I'll have to apologize now!

Another problem was that on the rare occasion I managed to open an email (the problem was intermittent at first) scrolling through it caused everything to be highlighted.

Another problem was the Hide Application function quit working. The PTT icon which I had hidden earlier suddenly appeared and refused to disappear.

Anyway, I'm glad the battery-removal trick took care of these things.

phillyslix no está en línea Stack level 4

Welcome to the stacks!!!

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired

Hi MidleAgesMan,

Welcome to Pinstack we are here 24/7 and most often better than any help desk.

enjoy the new Pearl.

Dirty Cash no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    3G

Middle...

Welcome to the Stacks!

Ditto what SRL7741 stated...the Stack is true 24/7 Tech-like support for virtually all Blackberries!!!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b