Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

I think the buck has been passed to us all. Gas here in the tampa ... Networking with PinStackers forum

justajason no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    242C7F74

Advertisement

I think the buck has been passed to us all. Gas here in the tampa area is 4 a gallon In most places. It really sucks that all those SUV's had such big appetites. What happened to us? We've been screwed for al most a decade now. Isn't it enough? Not only are gas prices, and food prices going up, but the crime rŕte here just jumped sharply. Where I live, we just had our first shooting inside the mall. The cops say its gang related. Dosent anyone see a connection? Or are we truly daft?!?! ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

phatmanxxl no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    3M TA3
    Last edited by phatmanxxl; 06-19-2008 at 06:03 PM.

PIN/ID
    3M TA3

PIN/ID
    3M TA3

PIN/ID
    3M TA3
    I don't see how a gang related shoosting has to do with gas prices. But yes the cost of energy is the reason for the inflation. But like I said, until we provide our own don't expect anything to get significantly better.

Hack173 no está en línea banned
    PIN/ID
    249E4D70
    $4.30-$4.80 here in SD, CA

PIN/ID
    3M TA3
    Oops sorry about the triple post. I was getting a error message.

justajason no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    242C7F74
    Its easy to see correlation in these cases. Where I live the cost of living has been pretty cheap for a while. Until the housing bubble, and the influx of the riffraff is because its still cheaper here than say LA. the more people that congest into a city, the more the demand on energy increases, the prices rise and people get desperate.The higher theft and violent crime is a direct result. We didn't have these issues in the 90's as far as I remember. But we also didn't have an administration turned war machine either. Just a president's peter with a mind of its own. At this point, if getting the current prez a call girl, would make it easier to get to work, I'd gladly chip in! ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

gkast1 no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    244F596F
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsNowOrNever View Post
    Wow!!! I'll move where any of you are!!! We just topped 4.89 for the cheap stuff here in LA...

And it's not 0.77 a gallon---its per liter....and there are approx 4 liters per gallon!!! SO...1.95 a liter means nearly 8 a gallon!!!!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Suppose we walked out.

Suppose we left our cars home one nice day. Walk, take a bus, ride the Metro, ride your bike...call in sick, whatever. No cars!

OK, some have to be there, ambulances, police cruisers, firetrucks... But suppose 90% of us did it.

Can you imagine the shock and repercussions? The gasoline trucks coming into the city to restock gas stations unable to pump it anywhere? Where would the
    price go next day?!

Impossible to organize? I dunno... 95% of the people have cell phones...

wankim no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24A085F7
    Quote Originally Posted by gkast1 View Post
    Suppose we walked out.

Suppose we left our cars home one nice day. Walk, take a bus, ride the Metro, ride your bike...call in sick, whatever. No cars!

OK, some have to be there, ambulances, police cruisers, firetrucks... But suppose 90% of us did it.

Can you imagine the shock and repercussions? The gasoline trucks coming into the city to restock gas stations unable to pump it anywhere? Where would the
    price go next day?!

Impossible to organize? I dunno... 95% of the people have cell phones...
    All that would do is shift demand to a different day when you do go out again. The "brilliant" governor of Georgia here tried something stupid like that...cancelling school one day to save gas. And we wonder why GA is ranked at the bottom for education!

Instead of hurting business owners by not buying gas (...but moreso the stuff "inside" the store), why not use the better drilling technology available and tap the 20+ BILLION barrels of oil in our own country and stabilize our own supply...and hence prices. $1.00/gal gas days are gone...but avoiding $4.00 and $5.00 gas is still possible. Then, here's a thought... build more refineries to produce more gasoline. Every time there's a "fire" or some other issue in ONE plant, it disrupts the supply flow. More refineries producing more gas...more supply to meet demand will lower prices.

This country isn't designed for EVERYONE en mass to just "go for a walk" or ride the "metro". Mobility and cheap energy is what drives the economy. Alternative fuels/technologies are being developed....but it takes time...it doesn't just "turn on" overnight because the Chinese and Indians are driving up oil prices.

And if there is "value" in it...then it doesn't take government intervention (taxpayer money) to have to fund it. Private enteprise and money will find the most effective solutions and bring it to market.

gkast1 no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    244F596F
    Quote Originally Posted by wankim View Post
    All that would do is shift demand to a different day when you do go out again. The "brilliant" governor of Georgia here tried something stupid like that...cancelling school one day to save gas. And we wonder why GA is ranked at the bottom for education!

Instead of hurting business owners by not buying gas (...but moreso the stuff "inside" the store), why not use the better drilling technology available and tap the 20+ BILLION barrels of oil in our own country and stabilize our own supply...and hence prices. $1.00/gal gas days are gone...but avoiding $4.00 and $5.00 gas is still possible. Then, here's a thought... build more refineries to produce more gasoline. Every time there's a "fire" or some other issue in ONE plant, it disrupts the supply flow. More refineries producing more gas...more supply to meet demand will lower prices.

This country isn't designed for EVERYONE en mass to just "go for a walk" or ride the "metro". Mobility and cheap energy is what drives the economy. Alternative fuels/technologies are being developed....but it takes time...it doesn't just "turn on" overnight because the Chinese and Indians are driving up oil prices.

And if there is "value" in it...then it doesn't take government intervention (taxpayer money) to have to fund it. Private enteprise and money will find the most effective solutions and bring it to market.

I agree with you in a way... but:

>Instead of hurting business owners by not buying gas

If part of high prices is their doing they ought to be hurt; for the rest they in turn
    would put pressure on the oil companies. It's a free market (or ought to be )

> use the better drilling technology available and tap the 20+ BILLION barrels of oil in our own country

It's a matter of associated costs, and technology used is only part of the issue. Indeed, high prices give us a glimpse of the near future -- in not too long a time (some say less than 50 years) oil will be gone. That is, whatever is left will be
    prohibitively expensive to drill for.

>This country isn't designed for EVERYONE en mass to just "go for a walk" or ride the "metro". Mobility and cheap energy is what drives the economy.

Right!... so when energy ceases to be cheap, measures will need to be taken, because the design no longer describes reality.

>Private enteprise and money will find the most effective solutions and bring it to market.

I believe in that. Unfortunately though it seems Adam Smith's Invisible Hand has in this case invisible strings tied to it -- if we believe reports that more than half of the oil price increase is due to speculation.

Moreover, what moves private enterprise is informed consumers who react to what the market throws at them. Indeed, it is an illusion to think we can sit out and "let the market work". We are the market.

tgeekb no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    2102EF9F
    I agree that the market will be driven by us. By being smarter and not creating an effect of dependance on oil, things will change slowly.
    Never wanted to be a simple man...

focuztorch no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    just ask
    The price so cal brea anaheim is 4.60 and I'm a driver for my business and subcontract wifi scanner driver so feel my pain it's drive and make money or don't and starve the bigs guy upstairs must please send a gas blessing asap~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

jbreidel no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    241EDB49
    Its been bouncing anywhere from 3.89 yesterday to the highest ive seen 4.09 last weekend here in Minnesota...

Pretty sad that my little reliable Saturn used to cost me 13$ to fill when I bought it, now it costs me almost 40$

bbueding no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask
    Average in Philadelphia $4.25

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast