Is there a limit to the number of characters one can send or recieve in ... Networking with PinStackers forum

derelict727 no está en línea Stack level 2

Character limit on BB PIN messages?

Advertisement

Is there a limit to the number of characters one can send or recieve in a Blackberry PIN message? (SMS limits the number of characters to 160 on my carrier.) Just curious. Thanks.

SuzzyP no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask

Re: Character limit on BB PIN messages?

i have never maxed out PIN messaging...... I have created some pretty long paragraphs.. At least 800 characters
    SP[B]
    Sportin a kBerry Curve

mrnoname no está en línea Stacker

I like Suzzy, have made some really long messages. I've even sent an entire thread once on another forum.
    So I don't think there is a limit.

Also im with tmo. And I've sent some really large sms texts. I wonder what there limit is for me?

ljbyar no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Quote Originally Posted by johnj41
    I like Suzzy, have made some really long messages. I've even sent an entire thread once on another forum.
    So I don't think there is a limit.

Also im with tmo. And I've sent some really large sms texts. I wonder what there limit is for me?
    From the TMO Web Site:

Is there a limit to the length of the messages I can send and receive?

Yes. You can type 160 characters total. This includes the e-mail address, subject line, and the body of the message.

NOTE: The subject line has a 16-character limit, and the body of the message has a 140-character limit.

ljbyar no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Last post of mine was pertaining only to SMS on TMO.

Lewis no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    207BBC6D

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Many GSM providers have the ability to concatenate longer SMS messages into multi-page SMS.

Depending upon the receiving device, these may be delivered as several individual SMS messages, concatenated or truncated into one message.

Rogers allows for more than 160 characters in SMS, but charges accordingly as well. (200 characters in an SMS is counted as 2 sends; 160 + 40 = 2 sends.)

But all of this is first dependent upon the device, and secondly upon the carrier.

When I am composing an SMS, the very top of the display indicates "918/1", meaning, 918 characters remaining, 1 page used. As I reach each plateau of 160 characters, the page used increments by a step of 1. With 200 characters in a text, the display would read "718/2".

It takes longer to send multi-page texts, as they are broken down into 160 character packages. If the receiving phone doesn't support concatenation, then messages will be disjointed as they may not arrive in the correct order which they were sent.

As well, if the receiving carrier truncates SMS, part of the messages will be lost, and if received out of order, the beginning may be tossed while the end is received.

This can create great confusion for some people.

If I'm sending out of network SMS, I just make sure to keep it under 160.