hey all- am going nuts right now b/c i can't get any data service on ... Networking with PinStackers forum

avrau no está en línea Stack level 1

cannot manually switch network while roaming abroad

Advertisement

hey all-

am going nuts right now b/c i can't get any data service on my Cingular Pearl while travelling in india for work... any thoughts much appreciated.

currently my device is locking onto a local carrier called Airtel that has some data service fault right now (past three days). i get a "Data service refused" message and this is not unique to me -- some colleagues on Tmobile and Cingular also get tht when on Airtel.

but the bizarre thing is that i can't manually switch the network. under settings-options-network, where most people have the option to change network, i don't. all i have is the option to turn on/off data services, and then it tells me the network, but no option to change networks or otherwise alter the preferred network list. also nothing under the menu.

when i pop someone elses cingular sim card (who also uses a pearl) into my phone, it works fine and i have the manual network selection option. but when i put mine in the other phone i again don't have that option.

any thoughts on how i could solve this and get the option to switch roaming networks -- i've spent 3 hrs on the phone with cingular from over here trying to figure it out. clearly is some problem with the sim card or service and not the phone. can't get a new sim card out here in time, nor is sucking it up and going without data one either...

would much appreciate any suggestions. (all standard ones like cold reset and warm reset, sending registration request from host routing table options menu, etc) have come up cold.

thanks

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Re: cannot manually switch network while roaming abroad

Did you activate International Data Roaming on your account before you left. Don't really know if this is the problem, but it just might be that it was not correctly activated.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

Welcome to pinstack. Let us know how it goes.

avrau no está en línea Stack level 1

for anyone interested, never did manage to fix this problem while abroad. cingular told me it was most likely a sim card issue and that they could fedex one out but that would still take 5 days in india. so i did suck it up and hit up the internet cafes....

lesson -- make sure you have the most uptodate sim card before leaving the country

likefre no está en línea Stack level 4

Welcome avrau!

ljbyar no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Thanks for the update avrau! Glad to have you on board!