Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Found this bit of information on another site and thought I would share, since we ... Networking with PinStackers forum

brooke03 no está en línea Stack level 6

Blackberry Messenger FAQ

Advertisement

Found this bit of information on another site and thought I would share, since we seem to get a lot of these questions in the forums daily.

What is BlackBerry Messenger?
    BlackBerry Messenger is an instant messenger program for BlackBerry-to-BlackBerry communication utilizing your PIN number.

What is a PIN, and where do I find mine?
    A PIN is an eight digit alpha-numeric sequence that is assigned to every BlackBerry device. You can find your PIN code by going to Options>Status>PIN. You can also find your PIN number by typing "mypin" into an email (no quotes). The BlackBerry will automatically insert your PIN number.

Where do I get BlackBerry Messenger?
    BlackBerry Messenger is built into some of the newer devices. If your device does not come preloaded with BlackBerry Messenger, you can download it at http://www.blackberry.com/messenger through Internet Explorer or your BlackBerry Browser.

Do I need a data plan to use BlackBerry Messenger?
    Yes, BlackBerry Messenger sends pin messages through the BlackBerry servers. A BlackBerry internet plan is required to use this service.

Does BlackBerry Messenger cost money to use?
    No, BlackBerry Messenger is free to use. It simply uses data from your data plan. It does NOT use SMS.

How do I add a contact to BlackBerry Messenger?
    Follow the instructions as posted in my previous thread: [url="http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com/showthread.php?t=38609"]How to: Add a BB Messenger Contact Via Pin

Are PIN messages private?
    The answer to this question is, it depends. If you are on a BlackBerry Enterprise Server (BES), you should assume none of your data is private as it all goes through the BES. If you are on a BIS, conversations are not stored on the device, so they should be relatively private.
    /~*brooke

Lavagirl no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    AoleLava

Re: Blackberry Messenger FAQ

Nice concise explanation of BBM messaging Brooke. Nice job
    More comprehensive sticky can be found here by Hayden:
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com..._answered.html
    See the Official Latest OS threads updated regularly for All Devices.
    Forum Rules
    PinStack Trust Guide

brooke03 no está en línea Stack level 6

Thankies.. much of the same info, except for adding the bits about the data plan, are pins private, etc. Just because we answer many of these questions daily.
    /~*brooke

MotoUp no está en línea BES Pro

Great info Brooke, thanks! I'm sure many many people will find it useful.

City Girl no está en línea Stack level 1

Hello,

Stupid question maybe... But you'll have to forgive me... I a new BB user! On BB Messenger, does somebody know what are the different status shown, like if a contact, is yellow or blue or shown with a little clock icon, what does it mean?

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Yellow, means you have an unread message from them. Blue is Normal Status, Little clock means Unavailable or busy depending on the exact image. Go to Contact Info for that contact for details.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

Smile Re: Blackberry Messenger FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by Rcbjr View Post
    Yellow, means you have an unread message from them. Blue is Normal Status, Little clock means Unavailable or busy depending on the exact image. Go to Contact Info for that contact for details.

Rcbjr.
    Thanks Rcbjr!

OK, me again...

So, just to make sure I get this right, when the BB messenger smiley is blue, it means that the contact is active. If the BB phone of my contact is off, would it still be blue Now, when I send a message, over the check mark, does "R" means received and "D" delayed?

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Rcbjr View Post

Rcbjr.

VZDubtk no está en línea Stack level 5

r means read and d means delivered
    I Unlock All Mobile Devices, questions just ask

cliffr39 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    317ASKME

Quote Originally Posted by City Girl View Post
    OK, me again...

So, just to make sure I get this right, when the BB messenger smiley is blue, it means that the contact is active. If the BB phone of my contact is off, would it still be blue Now, when I send a message, over the check mark, does "R" means received and "D" delayed?

Thanks again!
    the R means read, and D means delivered to handset. When someone is unavailable (may have changed their Status to this) it will show a red X over the smiley's mouth. I believe the icon for when a user turns off the phone is the smiley face with lines going out from the mouth (like 3 partial circles). When there is a clock that means they are busy (in a phone call or something).
    Last edited by cliffr39; 11-19-2007 at 02:14 PM.
    ~A BlackBerry without a data plan is just a berry without the crack.~
    Links to common questions.

Quote Originally Posted by cliffr39 View Post
    the R means read, and D means delivered to handset. When someone is unavailable (may have changed their Status to this) it will show a red X over the smiley's mouth. I believe the icon for when a user turns off the phone is the smiley face with lines going out from the mouth (like 3 partial circles). When there is a clock that means they are busy (in a phone call or something).
    Thanks for the reply Cliffr39!

Well, got your message but do not have enough posts yet to send a PM! I am quite new here and still learning how this community works!

rlil no está en línea Stack level 1

great info

TWIELEN no está en línea Stack level 1

I have a messenger question... I have Verizon and have tried to add a few people on my phone who have T-Mobile... each time I have tried, it won't let me add them.. it just leaves them in the pending folder but never notifies them... I have also tried to pin message them but it will not send... it gives me a not sent big red X.... who can I fix this?

sako94 no está en línea Stack level 2
    omggg this is sooo gayy i want it buy lol no data plan. =[

riff_raff no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    26853B59
    Can you PIN without adding them as a contact first?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast