Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

i have a 11s neon. wanna race? lol really though, i love all cars. i'm ... Networking with PinStackers forum

psi chick no está en línea Stack level 4

Re: Any Subaru Wrx Or WRX STI Owners??!!!

Advertisement

i have a 11s neon. wanna race? lol

really though, i love all cars. i'm in love with the new sti and am actually thinking about picking one up. i like the hatch and the adjustable diff is sweet. i'm not a big fan of awd honestly, but i can but 80% in the rear and i'm sure it will be tolerable.

congrats on the new car!

tj2311111 Guest

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

I actually hate the new STi design. They messed up the aggressive design of the car imo. A hatch is not something I want either. And the adjustable diff is in the previous versions. Btw Awd is better than FWD and RWD anyday. There's nothing like actually getting grip and putting all the power down to the ground efficiently. I can't see how anyone would not like it.

i'll take rwd over anything else any day of the week. awd is actually the worst design for a car from a design and modification standpoint. it takes a HUGE toll on the tranny/diff and can easily cause lots of damage (just look at the glass tranny's of evo's and sti's with only slight modifications for examples). it's much harder to launch a awd car and you'll get the same 60' times on a rwd car and for the average driver be much more consistant (not to mention not relaly have to worry about leaving pieces of your diff on the track). plus there's always the issue of close to 25% drivetrain loss which is just rediculous, and the fact that awd cars are dogs top end due to the parasitic loss. so how is it a good platform again? lol

rpol8052 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask me!

Quote Originally Posted by psi chick View Post
    i have a 11s neon. wanna race? lol

really though, i love all cars. i'm in love with the new sti and am actually thinking about picking one up. i like the hatch and the adjustable diff is sweet. i'm not a big fan of awd honestly, but i can but 80% in the rear and i'm sure it will be tolerable.

congrats on the new car!
    sure I'll race you!!!lol....I work for subaru and just to let you know on the 08 even on years before u cant put 20/80 split in on the DCCD(Driver's Control Center Differential) in AUTO mode the split is 41/59 when you set the diff to the most rear all it does is less lockup which means that it will let the tires slip a little more thats all, and when you have it in LOCK mode the diffs split is 50/50 good for snow or just really bad climate conditions....If anyone has owned an STI they know that if its in the LOCK Position and your are stopped and you make a REALLY SLOW left or right turn you can hear the diffs CLUNKING because they are not permitting the wheels to spin as freely as normal because when you make a left or right turn as you know one wheel spins faster than the others so the diff is stopping it from doing that thats why its called LOCK...hopefully this is a better understanding

so it goes from 41/59 to 50/50? that's retarded. a friend of mine had a 06 sti and it was way more adjustable than that, which to me was one of the major selling points of the car. if they changed it to only allow those two settings then forget it, i'll still with fwd (even though i hate it lol)

PIN/ID
    Ask me!

no they have not changed it...I own an 06 STI i said that when you do set it to the rear there is less lockup on the diffs so it feels like the rears have more power thats all im letting you know how it works...and its not retarded that it goes from 41/59 to 50/50 it all depends on the road conditions thats why they give you the DCCD

silviajdm no está en línea Stack level 3

too bad the WRX doesn't have that feature, I feel left out lol.

PIN/ID
    Ask me!

yea but your car still handles 90% better than most cars on the road!!!

tj2311111 Guest

All Im going to say is if you are buying a STi for it to be rear wheel drive bias all the time (like you said you want it to be 80% rear), your buying the wrong car. Its not a drag car its a street machine that rally based. AWD is the best part of the car, that where the grip and handling come from. It has its strengths and weaknesses but the strengths definetly out weigh the weaknesses.

And I dont know where you heard the STi and Evos tranny's are weak. The Evos had weak tranny's in the 03 version, as far as I know. I had basic mods (Stage 2) and had no problems with my tranny and I know guys with updated turbos that have no problems at all. The only thing you would need to change is the clutch with high modifications (a given) but the tranny's are pretty much bullet proof. Majority of the people that mess up there tranny's in a STi and Evo are either not good drivers or dont know what they hell there doing, they treat it as a RWD car. They dump the clutch constantly and that messes up the tranny.

Like I said if your getting a STi to use as a drag car, dont get it. Thats not what it is meant for, get a GTO or something RWD. STi's are road course and autox beasts.

BTW I never took my diff out of auto. Never saw a need to.
    Last edited by tj2311111; 12-12-2007 at 12:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by teamjordan23 View Post
    All Im going to say is if you are buying a STi for it to be rear wheel drive bias all the time (like you said you want it to be 80% rear), your buying the wrong car. Its not a drag car its a street machine that rally based. AWD is the best part of the car, that where the grip and handling come from. It has its strengths and weaknesses but the strengths definetly out weigh the weaknesses.

And I dont know where you heard the STi and Evos tranny's are weak. The Evos had weak tranny's in the 03 version, as far as I know. I had basic mods (Stage 2) and had no problems with my tranny and I know guys with updated turbos that have no problems at all. The only thing you would need to change is the clutch with high modifications (a given) but the tranny's are pretty much bullet proof. Majority of the people that mess up there tranny's in a STi and Evo are either not good drivers or dont know what they hell there doing, they treat it as a RWD car. They dump the clutch constantly and that messes up the tranny.

Like I said if your getting a STi to use as a drag car, dont get it. Thats not what it is meant for, get a GTO or something. STi's are road course and autox beasts.

Yeah I agree, as for the WRX the tranny is great stock but when you bump it up to 250hp you need to rebuild it or get a new gearset or new tranny alltogether. I only heard of Evo VIII 03-04 having a weak tranny and the >92-2001 Subaru Impreza's having weak trannies.

They may not have good top end on the drag strip but catch us on a downhill/ uphill touge run or
    auto-x. Look at Time Attack events.....whose always in the top 5 finishes - Impreza's, EVO's, Skyline GT-R's, Audi's....all of them AWD.

My car before this one was a 1989 Nissan 240sx and I loved it (hence my name silviajdm) and my favorite car is a 1998 Nissan 180sx Type X (JDM) but I was always drawn to the AWD drivetrain, despite my drifting habit.
    Last edited by silviajdm; 12-12-2007 at 01:00 PM.

PIN/ID
    Ask me!

Good Job teamjordan23, apperently she does not know what she is talking about i have worked for subaru for 4yrs i yet have not seen a STI come in for a tranny....now the wrx? yes tons of times but thats a whole different tranny...the sti tranny was specifically built and engeneered for the car, my car is stage 3 now and cant seem to brake it!!!lol well I love my car and so far I havent seen any "MOPAR" or "SRT-4 NEON" come close to even think he got me...on a 30MPH roll on a full stop NOTHING so if you dont believe in the AWD than you are missing out cuz i have an all year round performance vehicle instead of just a SUMMER one.

PIN/ID
    Ask me!

Quote Originally Posted by silviajdm View Post
    Yeah I agree, as for the WRX the tranny is great stock but when you bump it up to 250hp you need to rebuild it or get a new gearset or new tranny alltogether. I only heard of Evo VIII 03-04 having a weak tranny and the >92-2001 Subaru Impreza's having weak trannies.

They may not have good top end on the drag strip but catch us on a downhill/ uphill touge run or
    auto-x. Look at Time Attack events.....whose always in the top 5 finishes - Impreza's, EVO's, Skyline GT-R's, Audi's....all of them AWD.

My car before this one was a 1989 Nissan 240sx and I loved it (hence my name silviajdm) and my favorite car is a 1998 Nissan 180sx Type X (JDM) but I was always drawn to the AWD drivetrain, despite my drifting habit.
    This is all true gotta love AWD...My brother has the EVO VIII an 03 and he has been at the track as much i have maybe i have more than him but he had to replace 2 trannys and diffs...not the cheapest rebuilt either each about $7,000....thats why i did not get the evo even though my brother wanted me too, turned out better because when we go somewhere together and we have our GFs its so much fun...oh and we seem to get to places a lot quicker!!!...lol
    Last edited by rpol8052; 12-12-2007 at 01:10 PM.

tj2311111 Guest

SilviaJDM,
    Yeah unfortunately the WRX's tranny is weaker compared to the STi. When modified that tranny doesn't hold up as well as the STi's. And yeah time attacks are dominated by AWD cars, they have some of the fastest times on the courses. Completely forgot about that since it so hard to get a "street" car in one of those events.

Thats what I'm saying rpol8052, I haven't seen a "mopar" that could keep up with me at the autox courses and etc. All they are, are heavy cars good for straight line nothing more. Like I said I could care less about drag racing, road courses are where it is at.

BTW Talking about problems, the SRT 4 is more inclined to give you problems than a STi anyday.
    Last edited by tj2311111; 12-12-2007 at 02:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by teamjordan23 View Post
    SilviaJDM,
    Yeah unfortunately the WRX's tranny is weaker compared to the STi. When modified that tranny doesn't hold up as well as the STi's. And yeah time attacks are dominated by AWD cars, they have some of the fastest times on the courses. Completely forgot about that since it so hard to get a "street" car in one of those events.

Thats what I'm saying rpol8052, I haven't seen a "mopar" that could keep up with me at the autox courses and etc. All they are, are heavy cars good for straight line nothing more. Like I said I could care less about drag racing, road courses are where it is at.

BTW Talking about problems, the SRT 4 is more inclined to give you problems than a STi anyday.
    That is why the drivetrain on this project is going to be my 2nd focus after suspension. I want to run either the STI JDM RA Gearset for WRX's or a "dogbox" tranny. Basically I'm gonna have to research about aftermarket gearsets or trannies that will help the WRX get over 350awhp without tranny failure. I know it's going to cost me but in the end I will enjoy the endeavors.

Everyone always tells me just get a USDM STI tranny......if that were the case I would have just bought an STI in the begining. There is too much drivetain parts to transfer over and way more money spent to put it in as well. My awhp goal is 400awhp (high to mid 11's on the drag <---just for kicks and giggles) and a very good track time at the local auto x & time attack events)

PIN/ID
    Ask me!

Quote Originally Posted by silviajdm View Post
    That is why the drivetrain on this project is going to be my 2nd focus after suspension. I want to run either the STI JDM RA Gearset for WRX's or a "dogbox" tranny. Basically I'm gonna have to research about aftermarket gearsets or trannies that will help the WRX get over 350awhp without tranny failure. I know it's going to cost me but in the end I will enjoy the endeavors.

Everyone always tells me just get a USDM STI tranny......if that were the case I would have just bought an STI in the begining. There is too much drivetain parts to transfer over and way more money spent to put it in as well. My awhp goal is 400awhp (high to mid 11's on the drag <---just for kicks and giggles) and a very good track time at the local auto x & time attack events)
    well not only that the STI tranny has the DCCD remember? so that means you have to get the DCCD module and wiring which will probably be a pain!!!so what i suggest is probably a Legacy GT Spec B tranny which is synchronized close ratio 6sp very similer to the STI but it will hold better than the Factory tranny of yours

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast