Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Microsoft has just announced an avalanche of new details surrounding its Windows Phone 7 Series ... Windows Mobile News forum

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired

Windows Phone 7

Advertisement

Microsoft has just announced an avalanche of new details surrounding its Windows Phone 7 Series due to launch this year, including that the phone will support multi-touch and that Pandora, Foursquare, Seesmic, Netflix and the AP are among its development partners. What's important is that without an UI that rivals Apple or Google’s mobile platforms, Microsoft will fail. Another important factor that is not discussed much is the hardware and it's appearance. HTC comes to mind first and if Microsoft can release an attractive UI with Apps and a hassle free delivery system like Apple and Google have in addition offer attractive devices it could prove to be just enough to bring Microsoft back into the cell phone discussions as a must have device.

As you might expect, Windows Phone 7 will run Silverlight, Microsoft’s rival to Adobe Flash, and feature Silverlight features for building games and applications. The company also said that developers of Windows 7 Phone apps can download a tool package for app development, including Visual Studio 2010 for Windows Phone, XNA Game Studio 4.0 and the Windows Phone 7 Emulator.

The only official way to get apps on a Windows Phone 7 Series device will be to download them from the just-detailed Windows Phone Marketplace. That means developers will have to abide by Microsoft's technical and content guidelines in order to make it in, with the very real possibility of rejection -- sound familiar?

Read more
    Additional Reads about Windows Mobile 7
    Last edited by srl7741; 03-15-2010 at 09:29 PM.

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    Well, Microsoft has been saying for almost a year now that they want to get back into the smartphone market hard and heavy. This might be the turning point for them. Then again, it might be another nail in the coffin. They need to look at hardware and software when getting these devices out there. Android is a great platform, but some of the hardware out there is lackluster at best and the iPhone is well, the iPhone. Nothing changed too much about it.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

javatyger no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    U5W15H
    Now I know that many people don't agree with this, but I've always been a fan of Microsoft and trust their products. I own a Windows computer because it's the best I feel for the best price. Apple/Mac is pretty, but not, in my opinion, worth paying for, when I know I can get a more powerful Windows computer for the same price.

Reason why I said all of that, is because I wish Microsoft had a good smartphone. You think with all the technology and the money this company has, they should be the innovator in creating an amazing smartphone, since they know how to make an operating system everyone wants/has. However, they really dropped the ball and lost that one to Apple, who have taken a big share of the market, rivaling the BlackBerry.
    I hope that Windows Phone 7 is an amazing device, because they need to finally release one that consumers will want, and shows the innovativation this company has. If they don't, then this will make them become the next Palm and obsolete as BlackBerry and Apple continue to pass them by.

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator
    The HTC HD2 has all the hardware to rival the best, but not upgradeable to Win 7. If Microsoft is going impose Apple like requirements on apps, is it better to stick with Win 6.5?
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16

PIN/ID
    Ask
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxmatts View Post
    The HTC HD2 has all the hardware to rival the best, but not upgradeable to Win 7. If Microsoft is going impose Apple like requirements on apps, is it better to stick with Win 6.5?
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16
    I think it might be. Manufacturers and developers still don't seem to really grasp exactly what the market wants. They focus so much on making one factor a great selling point that they tend to ignore others. One of the biggest in the smartphone community is censorship of apps/content or restricting what we can and can't do with our own devices. In truth, I paid for the device and the right to use it, so if someone finds a way to make it better without violating any copyright patents, why shouldn't I be able to do it? Google had the right idea opening up their OS to the public by making it open source. It put a large part of the burden of development and competition on the manufacturers. It produced a line of handsets from the economy to power user level. However, I think Google should set some minimum standards for products that support their OS and Microsoft should do the same. If they're going to spend so much time and money shining up their OS and getting the user excited about it, don't let the manufacturer kill it with crappy hardware. At the same time, don't have a great OS, great hardware, and then restrict the user from fully utilizing it.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    How to upgrade your OS

PIN/ID
    Retired
    Here is a video that sheds some light on a variety of thoughts.

PIN/ID
    Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by MStrawder View Post
    I think it might be. Manufacturers and developers still don't seem to really grasp exactly what the market wants. They focus so much on making one factor a great selling point that they tend to ignore others. One of the biggest in the smartphone community is censorship of apps/content or restricting what we can and can't do with our own devices. In truth, I paid for the device and the right to use it, so if someone finds a way to make it better without violating any copyright patents, why shouldn't I be able to do it? Google had the right idea opening up their OS to the public by making it open source. It put a large part of the burden of development and competition on the manufacturers. It produced a line of handsets from the economy to power user level. However, I think Google should set some minimum standards for products that support their OS and Microsoft should do the same. If they're going to spend so much time and money shining up their OS and getting the user excited about it, don't let the manufacturer kill it with crappy hardware. At the same time, don't have a great OS, great hardware, and then restrict the user from fully utilizing it.
    I agree with these thoughts and I often wonder if Apple, Google, MS, Palm etc base things off of sales stats or dig deeper looking at a number of things. There are no definitive roads to take that can catch what everyone wants in a mobile device.
    It's an interesting topic to really examine.

What Google has done is good in so many ways but like many things Google does it's half hearted or unfinished only to refine much later. Meanwhile Handset makers and carriers are taking off with the Google OS and delivering it to consumers.

Back to your idea...... I think most will agree the eco system that appeals currently to most users would include Touch Screen and a robust App Store with easy delivery.

I still don't think managing device data is still a concern to customers yet. It's only a concern to more experienced users. However
    with Social Networking become much more popular and important to users, maintaining that data is slowly become more important.

Microsoft for the first time is moving in that direction. I hope they end up making customers happy and it takes off. It will put pressure on Google and Apple to do even better.

We the customers most always benefit when there is fierce competition. Prior to Google releasing Android you have to admit we seemed to be in a stand-still.

To succeed today a Mobile Phone makers must have these things in place.

1. Attractive Device (Hardware)
    2. Friendly UI (Software)
    3. Apps with simple delivery method
    4. A method to manage the device (desktop manager, etc)

Microsoft seems to be heading in this direction which RIM, Google, Palm and Apple have already done.

PIN/ID
    Ask
    I think that if these developers and manufacturers really want to know what a large portion of the community want from their devices, forums like PinStack should be their first stop. I've said for quite a while that I think most wireless devices should have 2 modes in them. One for basic users and one for the more advanced. Much like I can switch between these two types of options on many applications on my computer, I think I should be able to do the same with my wireless device's OS.
    How to upgrade your OS

PIN/ID
    Retired
    Engadget is reporting more about Windows Mobile 7 Series devices.

Guess what?................. No clipboard ie: No Copy & Paste.

Engadget Link

Quote Originally Posted by srl7741 View Post
    Engadget is reporting more about Windows Mobile 7 Series devices.

Guess what?................. No clipboard ie: No Copy & Paste.

Engadget Link
    What? Win 6.5 has copy and paste. Why wouldn't that be on there?

Check this out: Windows Phone 7 Series device from Samsung is just a hacked i8910 HD

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/16/w...a-hacked-i891/

Windows will add copy and paste after launch. http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010/...nius+Report%29

pkcable no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask via
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxmatts View Post
    I found that shocking, BUT with the HTC skin, they make Winmo much more functional, NOT that I would EVER go the Winmo route again.
    Rich C.
    Twitter me @ http://twitter.com/pkcable

Reinstall Your OS on a Bricked BB Click here

I know, I'm bummed because I absolutely love the HD2's looks and hardware. Why Winmo "cry"

PIN/ID
    Retired
    I do too, the HD2 is pretty neat but there is no way I will use a WinMo device, it's just like taking 2 steps backwards
    Android (step 1) WinMo (step 2).

I can't believe I just said that but that's how I feel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast