I ran across an article about the upcoming Windows Marketplace app store for mobiles that ... Windows Mobile News forum

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!

Windows Mobile Store has Ability to Remotely Delete Apps From Devices

Advertisement

I ran across an article about the upcoming Windows Marketplace app store for mobiles that gives me mixed feelings. They will have the ability, if an app is approved and downloaded/sold, but later pulled from the marketplace, to remotely wipe the app from every device that downloaded it. This is already done with books on Amazon's Kindle, but these are issues where copyrighted material have been released illegally. I'm not sure how I feel about them removing apps from a phone. I know that if the app presents a security risk to users, then this would be a good thing.....but what if they just decide they don't like it like Apple did with the google voice related apps on iTunes. At least Apple just pulls them from the store, but users lucky enough to get it can keep it. And what about premium apps, will there be refunds? This is not clear as of the article I read on electronista.

If the mobile application store for your device were to do this, would it make you less likely to get apps from them or even more drastic, would you switch platforms because of this. Do you agree with this practice or does it just not seem right to you?

via electronista
    Last edited by azstar; 09-24-2009 at 03:34 PM.
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

shelat no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    24b1d027
    If the app is pulled for legal reasons i guess it would be okay but if it's pulled because of a disagreement between vnedors/distributors then it becomes a legal matter. If it was sold to me, I own that particular copy and the vendor can't just take my property. As to your question of platform loyalty, I would change. I do not easily hand my rights over and I see too much of it as it is. People need to speak up.

Nikon1 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by shelat View Post
    If the app is pulled for legal reasons i guess it would be okay but if it's pulled because of a disagreement between vnedors/distributors then it becomes a legal matter. If it was sold to me, I own that particular copy and the vendor can't just take my property. As to your question of platform loyalty, I would change. I do not easily hand my rights over and I see too much of it as it is. People need to speak up.

Not to put too legal an eye on this, but it's not "Sold" to you: you are granted a limited license to use the application while ownership of the software / application is always retained by the grantor of the license. If they pull / delete your copy then you may be entitled to a refund of what you paid. But it's never your property. And they can and have taken these actions in the past.

Read your licensing agreement before you pay: You'll find this to be true in 99.99999% of all software / applications you download for free and pay for.