We've all seen myriad threads started with Stackers experiencing this issue, so I thought it ... Blackberry Guides forum

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator

How To: Resolve Random Reboots after Upgrading OS with Media Card in Device

Advertisement

We've all seen myriad threads started with Stackers experiencing this issue, so I thought it was about time to find a permanent home for a resolution that seems to work in most cases. Thanks to fellow Stacker SherlockPhones for posting the Media Manager information several weeks ago. I've added a few more steps to round out the solution.

First thing you'll want to try is to offload any media you have on the media card to the PC or laptop of your choice, then reformat the media card in the device. Reload your media onto the card. If you're still having issues, you have corrupted media as a result of doing the upgrade with the card in the device. You'll want to try the following steps, for which you'll need Desktop Manager/Media Manager installed on your PC/Laptop:

1. Using Desktop Manager / Media Manager, copy the entire contents of your media card to your PC.

2. Format the media card using your 4.5 device.

3. Using Media Manager, you might notice that some of the media has nothing in the attributes column. Therefore, copy only the media that have attributes back onto the media card.

Within Roxio Media Manager, use the top window to show the media on the PC and the bottom window to show the device. The view defaults to "Thumbnails" because most people like that option. Change that to "Details" (select View\View As\Details).

Looking at it in this view, you'll see that your media is listed with 5 columns of information. Specifically they are File Name, File Size, Date Created, Attributes, and Date Modified. For the majority of the pictures, the Attributes column lists the pixels, bits, and dpi (i.e. 2592x1944 pixels, 24-bit, 180 dpi) but you might notice that some of them had that column blank.

Next, select all of the media and then deselect those that had that column blank and copy them back to your media card. You might not able to get everything back on the media card, but you should only lose a few items.

That should ultimately resolve the issue, but in the event it does not, then you will need to wipe your device using jl_cmndr and reinstall your OS.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Roger
    Last edited by RogerG; 12-17-2008 at 01:48 PM.

PIN/ID
    3198998E
    I wish somebody would have told me that once I got my first bb. That was aggravating as hell. I even went so far as to take it back to my provider and they didn't know what was wrong. But I eventually figured it out.

Good post Roger. ~via Roger's ë (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    3198998E
    That was supposed to be the bb logo. I guess it doesn't work on the posts. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Roger that, Roger!

I am also going to write an updated thread on installing/upgrading your OS, adding the step to REMOVE THE MEDIA CARD PRIOR TO INSTALLATION/UPGRADE!

Cheers,
    Roger

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Good post Roger I was actually thinking of doing something like this over the weekend and here you beat me to it. Nicely written.~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Thanks Randy. Another Stacker posted with the same problem this morning so I thought it was high time to do so! Also added the link to this thread in the FAQ in my signature for future reference!

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Quote Originally Posted by RoGro View Post
    Thanks Randy. Another Stacker posted with the same problem this morning so I thought it was high time to do so! Also added the link to this thread in the FAQ in my signature for future reference!
    Will be adding it to mine as well if you don't mind that is.

Not at all! Go for it!

aimeekelley no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    askme
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~got a question, I have a brand new curve through tmo and I put all media on the laptop, reformated the card in the new bb, reloaded media and I am still having it reboot, it is also a new media card. So do I still need to see if I have corrupted media or could it be something else? It is driving me crazy!!

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Still check for bad files and if you find that is still not it reboots can also be caused by faulty batterys.~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

aimeekelley no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    askme
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I am sure it is the media card, it only reboots when I have it in the phone. At least I now know how to fix the problem. Thanks

cjjack56 no está en línea Stack level 1

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by aimeekelley View Post
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I am sure it is the media card, it only reboots when I have it in the phone. At least I now know how to fix the problem. Thanks
    I was having this happen and just pulled the media card out and reformatted it on my laptop with a USB card reader. When I put it back in the phone it quit rebooting. Not sure why but apparently reformatting it in the phone didn't clear everything off the card.

tavella81 no está en línea Stack level 3
    I have a Sprint 8330 and a Sprint 8830 that are rebooting at random. I've noticed it sometimes happens when you hang up, it happens when you put the phone down, trying to use YouTube. the 8830 reboots more often than the 8330. The 8830 does not have a memory card and both phones are using the official 4.5 OS issued by Sprint. I have some friends at work with 8310's on AT&T and they have the same problem, one with a card and one without. Any other suggestions besides waiting for an OS update?