Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A tweet from Azstar had me googling to see if this was true. According to ... Android News forum

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator

AT&T removes Google search from Android in favor of Yahoo

Advertisement

A tweet from Azstar had me googling to see if this was true. According to Engadget “Yahoo has replaced Google as the default search provider throughout the phone. It’s crazy: the home screen widget, the browser, everything’s been programmed to use Yahoo.”

[Read More]

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    Seriously, after playing with some Android devices like the Cliq and the Eris I am glad I have a true Android phone, not skinned by the manufacturer to give it eye candy that bogs down the phone.....some of their concepts are cool and look awesome, but there is some lag and these add-ons make for more challenges when it comes to rooting and ROMs.

But now for AT&T to dip their hand in and change it more by replacing stock Android apps and even replace the Google search is just crazy. The integration of Google products in Android is awesome.....replace the search with yahoo????

Add to that the fact that it's the same slow processor as the cliq, 1.6 Android OS when 2.0/2.1 have been out for many months and this thing just screams disaster for anyone serious about Android......but maybe they are aiming for the early teen market or something...idk

For anyone who has been reading a lot about Android, especially about the Droid or Nexus One, and considering this as their first step into Android......please realize this will be NOTHING like experiences you have read so far...

Like I said in another thread....I think the Backflip will be nothing but a Bellyflop! Maybe I will be proven wrong....If anyone gets one...please post up your thoughts!
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

WhitePearlPXL no está en línea Stack level 4
    didn't think at&t could get any more stupid. i think they're doing it on purpose now. they've just completely forgotten how to be... well... not stupid.
    Paolo
    Moto Droid with SteamROM v4.0.5 Steam Theme
    Steam 1.2ghz Low Voltage Kernel
    Apple MacBook Pro
    Jeremiah 29:11
    Try us out! www.mycellularsource.com

drdoom23 no está en línea Stack level 4
    They have a contract with yahoo think about it when u open media net,also that back flip is crap imo I watched the video my god I wouldn't use that thing it just seems odd. And I agree that this android device will be nothing more then something aimed at teens that can't afford the iphone, and again on the flip they have to start with android somewhere I agree I know this is gonna be bad and the fact google let them pull this is nuts they basically just butchered googles software. I'm gonna say epic fail

Maybe they have no choice if it's a contract thing with yahoo....but verizon made a deal with microsoft and made Bing the default search on some devices didn't they? But they didn't mess with the Google Android OS and make it a bing-droid.....I think my Droid would commit suicide if it woke up covered in Bing!
    Twitter? My Apps List

Capdot no está en línea Stack level 5
    Let's just hope this yahoo joke is only gonna be implemented with these lesser android phones, and not with some of the better phones AT&T is supposed to get.

I've never used yahoo, and I don't plan on it.

Quote Originally Posted by azstar View Post
    Maybe they have no choice if it's a contract thing with yahoo....but verizon made a deal with microsoft and made Bing the default search on some devices didn't they? But they didn't mess with the Google Android OS and make it a bing-droid.....I think my Droid would commit suicide if it woke up covered in Bing!
    Roflmao thanks I needed that droid commiting suicide lol,oh and I agree one thing verizon did right and if u think about it isn't that offten was not mess with the android phones I give them props for that. And this thing with yahoo if like I said is a contract thing then they really do have no choice but then why get the device? To me this just seems like a failed attempt and keeping up with vzw and their android devices, Because this back flip is utter crap and I can almost promise apple is not going to have this issue that att is forcing upon this andriod device I'm beggining to think att could give a crap about the consumer anymore. I have them as my carrier and have no problems but stuff like this just makes me angry.

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    Google marketed the Android OS in the beginning as one that was open source which meant that Carriers could brand it to their liking. I think branding any OS is horrible and nothing more than SPAM. The Carrier is placing items on the device that make them money and they want you to use.

While the Android OS may be open source in the end the Carriers will tear it down and fill it with things you may not want or need. It will be bloat-wear full of trash.

I posted an Article about this happening awhile ago so it's no surprise even tho it's sad.

Hopefully it will bomb bad enough for AT&T to realize this is a mistake....maybe then future Android devices will not be messed with to this degree....
    Twitter? My Apps List

PIN/ID
    Retired
    Actually I'm bummed to see this going on. Members who know me can tell u how much I'm against Ad's and other forms of intrusion on our devices. I was really looking forward to getting a new Android device sometime in the near future. If I'm only able to get one with a Branded OS from the carrier then this means I will have to wipe it and somehow re-install the OS without the Carrier SPAM-Apps on it.

This news is horrible if u ask me

Quote Originally Posted by srl7741 View Post
    Actually I'm bummed to see this going on. Members who know me can tell u how much I'm against Ad's and other forms of intrusion on our devices. I was really looking forward to getting a new Android device sometime in the near future. If I'm only able to get one with a Branded OS from the carrier then this means I will have to wipe it and somehow re-install the OS without the Carrier SPAM-Apps on it.
    This news is horrible if u ask me
    I know its a pain in the butt but I'm sure its possible if its like bb and remove the vendor file idk though I won't lie I kinda wanted an android device to imo its becoming evident android is becoming a game changer.

It's nothing like BB as far as hacking goes......but there are several awesome devs out there that work their magic and cook up ROMs that will change just about everything to your liking. I have the htc keyboard and several elements from the milestone ported to my DROID. It would just need time...but I wonder how much time the crackers will spend on this device with so many concentrating on newer versions of the OS.
    Twitter? My Apps List

miltw3 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Not a surprise given At&t's email service relationship with Yahoo.

PIN/ID
    Retired
    The Motorola Backflip is a weird device so I'm going to hold out hope that AT&T does not ruin other Android devices they sell in the future. They even placed an AT&T button on the keyboard, which is something they could not do with devices like the Nexus One.

eazid no está en línea Stack level 4
    When I upgrade to my next phone. It will be either the Nexus One or the HTC Incredible for Verizon when they come out. Thank god for that.
    "Who Dares Wins"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast