T-Mobile on Wednesday officially launched its second Google Android phone, the MyTouch 3G, and company ... Android News forum

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

T-Mobile Launches MyTouch 3G Android Phone

Advertisement

T-Mobile on Wednesday officially launched its second Google Android phone, the MyTouch 3G, and company executives said they'll use a high-touch retail experience and custom cases to give the new phone a unique personalizable spin.

"You can take the entire range of the rainbow and you can create for yourself the most powerful device that is 100% you, inside and out," T-Mobile chief marketing officer Denny Marie Post said at a press conference in New York.

The MyTouch 3G will be available for existing T-Mobile customers to pre-order today for $199.99 with a two-year contract extension. Pre-ordered devices will ship starting July 28, and the MyTouch 3G will become publicly available around August 5th, T-Mobile reps said.

Read More

rdills no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?
    Pre-ordered mine! Hope it ships early like the G1 did.
    You can't learn anything if you're talking!

moses2628 no está en línea Stack level 6
    Going by my local T-Mobile store to check it out! Store manager has the actual phone, not a dummy model, and will base my decision on that.

li2327 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    30D2E555
    Tmobile launches a nice touchscreen ad soon as I walk over to AT&T. Go figure. I hope it's as nice as it looks.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

jahdub no está en línea Stack level 1
    I have one its ok

ventz no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    You guys should really wait for the 3rd one which they have already said is coming out in Q4 of this year. It will have a 3.5mm jack and some bugs fixed -- as opposed to this one that simply has 3G and no physical keyboard. Never buy the 1st gen of anything, and as far as I see it, this phone is really 1st gen since the G1 was a POC more or less -- plus it didn't have a touchscreen keyboard and the battery life sucked. After I play with the 3rd one, I might actually consider dropping the BB. I love email on the BB, but hate speed, memory, and browser experience. Writing code for it is aweful too.

Yea you guys

~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~[/QUOTE]

PIN/ID
    Huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by ventz View Post
    You guys should really wait for the 3rd one which they have already said is coming out in Q4 of this year. It will have a 3.5mm jack and some bugs fixed -- as opposed to this one that simply has 3G and no physical keyboard. Never buy the 1st gen of anything, and as far as I see it, this phone is really 1st gen since the G1 was a POC more or less -- plus it didn't have a touchscreen keyboard and the battery life sucked. After I play with the 3rd one, I might actually consider dropping the BB. I love email on the BB, but hate speed, memory, and browser experience. Writing code for it is aweful too.

Yea you guys

~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~[/QUOTE]

I totally disagree with everything you said about the G1! I've had it since day 1. Dropped the 8320 for it and couldn't be more satisfied! Its BY FAR the best phone on TMO! Until M.T. comes in a few weeks!lol.. Everything so say you "hate" about BB is great on the G1! Haven't had a memory leak or dropped call in about 8 months! And there will be alot more Android phones before the year is out. Ofcourse there will always be better phones coming! ALWAYS!!! Thats just reality! I'm not going to keep waiting for the "next"! If I like it, I'm getting it! Something better comes? I'll get that too!!

But really anything with Android is a GO!
    The G1 has been so good I'm keeping it as well! Rooted of course!
    Last edited by rdills; 07-25-2009 at 06:44 PM.

PIN/ID
    N/A
    rdills --

I can't say I disagree with you completely, but I feel that the G1 was "too experimental". Now this might be because the only time I played with it was 2 days before it hit the stores as a friend had obtained it somehow. I also heard that they pushed out numerous updates. About the battery life, i distinctly remember that 10+ people complained about that, and they even received a 2nd battery for free from tmobile.

Now that said, so far (so far being key), the blackberry has been the best phone I've used (and yes, I had the iphone when it came out). I simply love the email + BB messenger. That said, I absolutely hate 1.) memory issues (leak, capacity, storage of apps, etc..), the web browser: with now-a-days technology, it should not be this crappy, and it really frustrates me how hard it is to develop for it. Especially when everything is in java, not being able to develop on a mac (or linux machine) simply anyones me. THe fact that I had to get windows in Parallels so that I can play around with the API frustrated me beyond anything.

Anyway, so given that I've never used one, I can't argue with you much. That was my "outsiders" oppinion -- first post. But, I would like to ask some things, given that you have used a BB (especially 8320 - which I used and loved, and replaced with the 8900). So, what do you think of the email program compared to the BB one? Going between applications? Going between calendar, email, txt, and tasks, and notes. These are programs that I rotate constantly between 8am and 6-7pm. How is the bluetooth integration/support? At last -- I did read that the browser is incredibly faster than the Iphone. How is it?

At last -- I do still think I will wait for the "G3" phone (whatever it will be called), as they have already said firmly that it will be in Q4. The 3.5mm absence in the M.T will piss me off too much. Another thing: UMA. I use this for a good 2500-3000 minutes a month. This is absolutely key for me. I truly hope the "G3" version will have UMA calls (and this is why I wait and skip the M.T).

What else do you like/dislike? List some dislikes please. I would like a realistic opinion/view of the phone. For most of my friends, it has been a "first smart phone" type of deal, and they are not really power users.

EDIT: Forgot to add, biggest complaint about iPhone and MT (will be) the no physical keyboard. That said, I absolutely hate the sidekick style keyboards. Something like the palm-pre would be my perfect compromise for a large touch screen + keyboard. I really don't want a touch screen, but I am starting to see how key it is for navigation on a larger screen where the "smartphone" is really more of a "very tiny computer".

Thanks,

-Ventz

PIN/ID
    Huh?
    Well, the lack of UMA calling would definitely hurt in your case and is still a mystery as to why they left it out. I share the unlimited package with my lady, so it doesn't effect me, but still a mystery!
    Out of the box there is only bluetooth support for wireless earpiece and headsets, but some apps on the market make it possible to transfer files etc.
    Batt. life is different depending on the user. When everyone first got the G1, most were coming from phones that didnt do much of anything out side of getting emails, texting, you know the basics! To now being able to watch HQ vids from youtube, surf the web at 3g speeds, and having a big beautiful screen to enjoy all of this make it very hard to put it down! My point is management of your phone will produce better battery life. Example, if youre not using GPS, cut it off. Same for 3g network. Of course updates have helped, plus there are numerous apps to help you manage as well. I'm a power user and I get a full day.

Switching smoothly between apps depends on what you have running in the background. My G1 slows down noticeably when playing the music player in the background. No prob for me but some dont like it!
    The U.I. is the best I've seen on any phone until recently(the Hero) and the main reason I cant use anything else at this time! Light years ahead of both Curves. The Pre is the next best thing in terms of U.I. IMO. No multi tasking on the Iphone is a killer for me!

Like:
    U.I. Up to ten home screens, the notification bar is just smart, Move icons where ever you want,
    Navigation. Touch screen, track ball, full keyboard, and virtual keyboard!
    Browser
    Reception. Has to be the best ever on a cell phone! I haven't dropped a call. Seriously!
    Widgets and live folders
    Messengers. Gtalk is the best 1
    Email. Gmail push is comparable to BB speed wise,you just cant have as many accounts!
    Durability and design. I have dropped my G1 well over a hundred times. Its Not a fingerprint magnet either!
    Applications! Coming from a BB I was amazed at the things the G1 can do. Torrent apps, streaming media, wireless file transfer over wifi, and the list goes on and on!
    Open source! Having a phone that I can change anything I want. Root access allows for some amazing customization and control.

Dislikes:
    Hardware is not strong enough for Android to reach its full potential with the G1. Mainly the processor. It slows down if there is too much going on at once.
    No camera flash.
    Keys are flat on the keyboard.

I've been playing with the Pre lately. I like the U.I. but the slide up key board didn't feel good at all to me!
    Last edited by rdills; 07-26-2009 at 12:02 PM.

PIN/ID
    N/A
    I was reading up more on this last night. So the 3.5mm jack is annoying, but not a huge downfall -- they sell 3-1 adapters where you can have 3.5mm, mini-usb for charging/syncing, and another mini-usb for another original headset adapter.

The biggest downside so far are: UMA (i could probably get around this with faves5 and a good web browser from which I can launch calls to google). Was reading something about problems between 3G and UMA switching. Hopefully this will be fixed for the next one.

Now here comes a problem which is un-acceptable: Outlook calendar+contact sync doesn't exist.
    How can that be? I read that and couldn't believe it.
    I definitely need a phone that can handle 3 personal email accounts and one work account. I rely extremely heavily on work email, work calendar events (pushed, and create on my phone), and work contacts syncing between my phone and laptop. This is the deal breaker for me.