Skyhook Wireless released a report on a Fall 2009 Android Application Developers Survey. It shows ... Android News forum

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!

Survey Shows More Developers Backing Away From Android

Advertisement

Skyhook Wireless released a report on a Fall 2009 Android Application Developers Survey. It shows that most developers are not happy with the profits coming in from their applications. There are several key factors including poor organization of the Android Market and limit of payment options. Google checkout as the only option does not bother me, I have purchased a few apps and it's easy and so far I have had no issues with it. But searching for apps in the Market is a nightmare. They need more categories and sub categories and better descriptions. They also should require screen shots, many apps, themes, icon sets and more have no screen shots and honestly, sometimes you can judge an app by it's cover. I find more apps through word-of-mouth from other users than I do from browsing the market.

Another big issue is the number of various version numbers of the Android OS. This is something that makes BlackBerry developement difficult and causes most truly useful apps to cost more than they do on the iPhone platform. Now that the market is exploding with devices from several manufacturers, various screen sizes, and OS versions developers are having a hard time making their apps run smoothly on all devices. 68% of those surveyed are somewhat or not likely to put further work into their apps.

This is a critical time for Google. While the article shows that developers are still excited about the Android platform, many developers are taking a step back and waiting to see if some of these issues get resolved. Hopefully Google will find a way quickly to help Android overcome these growing pains.

[Skyhook developers survey pdf]
    [cellular news]
    [into mobile]
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    I can understand and don't blame them at all. Organizing and delivering Apps need to be seamless or people just won't use it.

Heck unless u use Gmail and other G-services there is still no method of syncing everything or keeping it organized.

Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16

rdills no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?
    The developers aren't going anywhere. Just like Gameloft backed off their foolish comments about not working anymore games for Android. And Pandora, Sprint, and countless others before have had to eat their words concerning Android. The community is strong and excited about the future of the platform. And that's what matters most. If you've witnessed how much Android has advanced in just a years time, you know Google operates very different from RIM, and wont suffer the same blunders. I think they're 10 steps ahead on these concerns.
    Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.5; en-us; Behold2 Build/CUPCAKE) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1

joemc27 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    No More
    hopefully their 10 steps ahead. i don't think the 20 million different handsets is a good idea. It does bring variety of phones to the market, but its too much work on the developers. The market needs to improve and to also have a desktop version. Android is too good to pass up.

ventz no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    I am really surprised by this. Going from iPhone to a few blackberries to Android and now back to iPhone, I am actually quite disappointed with the iPhone app store in terms of categories and apps. While I like the standard (images included), I LOVE the fact that the android system has all the apps in the categories. I feel like the iphone has many apps which are not tagged in a category and are only viewable when you search for them. Idk, maybe most people disagree here, but I was actually impressed with the app store provided by Android. It was nice and most useful apps are free.

mobile99 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by rdills View Post
    The developers aren't going anywhere. Just like Gameloft backed off their foolish comments about not working anymore games for Android. And Pandora, Sprint, and countless others before have had to eat their words concerning Android. The community is strong and excited about the future of the platform. And that's what matters most. If you've witnessed how much Android has advanced in just a years time, you know Google operates very different from RIM, and wont suffer the same blunders. I think they're 10 steps ahead on these concerns.
    Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.5; en-us; Behold2 Build/CUPCAKE) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1
    I agree with you 100%. The first thing for us to remember is nothing sells like negative "news". Second is the fact that there is a lot of "others" in the industry that have a lot to lose as Android gains more and more momentum. Any new OS and handset(s) are going to have bugs and initial issues. Given the stellar performance I am experiencing with my Droid, I would not be surprised to see this platform become quite dominant far sooner than the pundits opinions.

ventz no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by mobile99 View Post
    I agree with you 100%. The first thing for us to remember is nothing sells like negative "news". Second is the fact that there is a lot of "others" in the industry that have a lot to lose as Android gains more and more momentum. Any new OS and handset(s) are going to have bugs and initial issues. Given the stellar performance I am experiencing with my Droid, I would not be surprised to see this platform become quite dominant far sooner than the pundits opinions.
    I also completely agree with this. A good example: Slacker Radio said "making a product for Android is not worth it"...oh look what happened now