In a separate story on the new Samsung Reclaim , Casey Ryan, product manager for ... Android News forum

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask

Samsung Android Devices for Under $100

Advertisement

In a separate story on the new Samsung Reclaim, Casey Ryan, product manager for the Reclaim at Samsung, said, "by next year, touch-screen phones, with full Web browsers running the Android operating system will be available for well under $100." That's big news for the relatively new platform on the market. With devices such as the MyTouch3G, HTC Hero, and Motorola Sholes all either available now or coming soon, the OS from Google is poised to be a big contender in the smartphone market.

In the interview Ryan did not specify what features these new devices will have, but unlike Blackberry and iPhone brands, these devices are not limited to a specific manufacturer and thus have the potential to create a scramble amongst manufacturers to really create a great and yet inexpensive device. The open-source OS from Google is designed to run on hardware that even the 'dumbest' of smartphones can handle with ease. The platform is becoming increasingly popular outside the mobile device market and is moving into technology in our homes. China Mobile is even telling Apple that this new platform and it's array of devices could be a serious contender against it's coveted iPhone in that particular market.

So with Samsung's vow of sub-$100 devices, next year should really be a great year for the Android platform and we should continue to see a stream of great devices hitting the market.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

walkiniceberg no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    21D45768
    Two things

First WOW! Under $100!? Sounds good if they're quality devices. Hopefully we don't see flimsy p.o.s's flooding the market.

Second. HOW?? I mean I could understand if these devices are cheap because they suck arse, but if they're quality, then how can they afford that? Sounds like something to watch... Who knows what the future holds. I'd be amazed to see a high quality android powered phone for under $100 I'd probably buy a few myself.
    BlackBerry8320/4.5.0.81 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    As I mentioned in the article, the device manufacturing isn't controlled by a single company, such as RIM or Apple. The OS itself is totally open-source and just about anyone can manufacture a device to use it. This means greater competition amongst manufacturers, which means better pricing to the public.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS