Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

There had been so much hype surrounding the Nexus One as bits and pieces of ... Android News forum

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!

Sales Estimates Show a Slow Start for the Nexus One

Advertisement

There had been so much hype surrounding the Nexus One as bits and pieces of news leaked before the official announcement of it's arrival. With the huge boom in attention to the Android platform gained by the Motorola DROID I had expected the Nexus One to do better than it appears to have done. According to estimates by Flurry, they only sold about 20,000 Nexus One phones in their first week.

To be fair, this is something new, the way they are handling and distributing, and it certainly didn't get the advertising punch that the DROID got from Verizon...but I still expected more. But with the reported problems users are having with the device I guess lower numbers are better until they get things straightened out.

Of course these numbers are not official or confirmed, here is a bit about how Flurry calculates these numbers:

"Flurry monitors usage of more than 10,000 developers' applications on iPhone and Android platforms. In total, Flurry tracks applications on approximately four out of every five iPhone and Android handsets in the market, generating over 25 million end user sessions per day. To estimate first week sales totals for the Nexus One, myTouch 3G, Droid and iPhone 3GS, Flurry detected new handsets within its system, and then made adjustments to account for varying levels of Flurry application penetration by handset. Flurry additionally crosschecked its estimates against Apple actual sales, released for iPhone 3GS, which totaled more than one million units over the three days, June 19 - 21, 2009. Flurry first week sales estimates can be found in the table below."

I don't know how close to accurate these numbers are, but would love to know the actual figures.

[Flurry]
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

ReggieSmith no está en línea Stack level 3
    I have always been curious to know if the "sales" figures represent units sold to consumers or units pad for by the carriers? In this case I would suspect that it represents sales to the consumer since the device is not sold through traditional channels.
    ------

From time to time, you have to wonder...... What was I saying?

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask
    THanks. I wonder why the last column didn't compare the 1gen iPhone's "US only" launch with no installed base as the others? Instead of 8 countries, 3rd gen and 27mil base comparison?

Quote Originally Posted by hayden View Post
    THanks. I wonder why the last column didn't compare the 1gen iPhone's "US only" launch with no installed base as the others? Instead of 8 countries, 3rd gen and 27mil base comparison?
    True... That would have been a good comparison for this sort of report. Even still, from what I remember, 1st week sales of the 1st Gen iphone probably topped sales of the Droid and N1...
    ------

WhitePearlPXL no está en línea Stack level 4
    of course it's slow. Google's being apple-ish about this whole thing. except without the sales!
    Paolo
    Moto Droid with SteamROM v4.0.5 Steam Theme
    Steam 1.2ghz Low Voltage Kernel
    Apple MacBook Pro
    Jeremiah 29:11
    Try us out! www.mycellularsource.com

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by WhitePearlPXL View Post
    of course it's slow. Google's being apple-ish about this whole thing. except without the sales!
    "apple-ish"?? What's that mean? I think Google did a good thing. They tried to bring the handset purchase model that is in-place in the rest of the industrialized world but US users aren't really ready for it and the carriers haven't bought into it yet. (why would they? they want to lock everyone into multi-year contracts to have guaranteed income!) Also, I don't think they really tested the device enough and are having problems. (a few weeks before launch you give some of the handsets to your employees? really?)

The missing link to this whole thing is to get the carriers to offer lower rate plans for new customers that do not require a subsidized handset, (they'll still require contracts of course because they will want that income listed out for a year or so.) They should be able to do this because that customer did not cost them anything for the handset.
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by ReggieSmith View Post
    "apple-ish"?? What's that mean? I think Google did a good thing. They tried to bring the handset purchase model that is in-place in the rest of the industrialized world but US users aren't really ready for it and the carriers haven't bought into it yet. (why would they? they want to lock everyone into multi-year contracts to have guaranteed income!) Also, I don't think they really tested the device enough and are having problems. (a few weeks before launch you give some of the handsets to your employees? really?)

The missing link to this whole thing is to get the carriers to offer lower rate plans for new customers that do not require a subsidized handset, (they'll still require contracts of course because they will want that income listed out for a year or so.) They should be able to do this because that customer did not cost them anything for the handset.
    it's exactly like apple. the iphone is only available at the apple store and you can only get it for cheap by signing a 2 year contract with at&t where apple has set the contract agreements just as google has and at&t can't do anything about it, just as t-mo can't with google. other than that, pay full price. the n1 is t-mo and vzw's iphone.
    Paolo
    Apple MacBook Pro

smooth10 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    21CB9337
    Take into account that the Nexus One is for buying out-right and not subsidized by all carriers on contract terms. Also take into account that January is the slowest month for retail because people tend to spend their money at Christmas and max out credit cards. All these things coupled with the fact that it is not heavily advertised like the iPhone, accounts for a slow start. There are still many people that do not know about the Nexus One and those that do, still do not know the full capabilities of the device. In time, I think the Nexus One will at least be above the Droid and My Touch.

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    I'm not much into stats b/c you can shape them how you want but what I do find interesting is this......

Unless I missed it/them I don't think the phone has been advertised on TV yet. It's been strictly via geek avenues. So if this is true a very large % of all cell phone users don't even know about the Nexus phone.

I've been talking with numerous Droid owners over the last few days and asked each one how they felt about the Nexus phone being released and they had no idea there was a Nexus phone nor what it was. So after locating a computer and a few clicks later they were in awe wanting to know more.

Ok......Ok........... So to my original thought or question. Google is relying on their traditional method of doing business (Web).
    I see this as a test to see how the world responds. Traditionally we see new products for sale in News Papers, Magazines, TV Commercials, Bill Boards etc.

The Nexus currently is not using those methods to Advertise. So the question is?

Is the World ready for things like this?
    How well will it do over the next six months if the traditional methods are not used?

Kind of neat to look at that perspective.

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    The Moto Droid did well because verizon handfed it to us on almost a daily basis with their commercials all over the place even in theaters. Thus, I would say why keep something so secretive and expect it to do well. Advertising 101
    What's the matter? CIA's got you pushing too many pencils?

Emmc no está en línea Stack level 5
    Here's what killed sales; having $179 and $529 on the order page.

Quote Originally Posted by Emmc View Post
    Here's what killed sales; having $179 and $529 on the order page.
    also maybe.. not letting existing users get any slack? might be a bit selfish of me, but i kinda like that it's not doing so well. crash and burn, baby, crash and burn. probably won't stay like that for long though, so i'll enjoy it while i can.
    Paolo
    Apple MacBook Pro

Well I broke down and bought one. This is the first time I haven't had a Blackberry in many years.

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    And what do you think of it?
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

No regrets. Very happy with it. I thought I'd never jump the Blackberry ship but this thing just has too many nice features. It was a little hard to get used to typing on the screen as I was on an 8900, but I'm getting better every day. Sold the 8900 on Craigslist.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast