Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24

Google is rumored to release its own custom-built Android phone in early 2010, allowing the ... Android News forum

  1. #1
    srl7741's Avatar
    srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    Join Date
    May 2006
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    Posts
    6,359

    Rumored 'Google Phone' said to be coming in 2010 (Update)

    Advertisement



    Google is rumored to release its own custom-built Android phone in early 2010, allowing the company to control all of the facets of the software and hardware, much like with Apple and the iPhone. The part I like the most about this rumor is listed below. This could turn out to be a true full featured phone.

    "There won’t be any negotiation or compromise over the phone’s design of features -- Google is dictating every last piece of it," Arrington said. "No splintering of the Android OS that makes some applications unusable. Like the iPhone for Apple, this phone will be Google’s pure vision of what a phone should be."

    Hop over to AppleInsider or TechCrunch for the full article.

    Update: Seems there has been more information come out about this Google Phone idea. TechCrunch is posting The Google Phone may be a data only, VoIP driven device.

    Users could still make calls just like a normal phone, of course. The calls would just be over the data service instead.

    Read more about the possibilities to including AT&T's possible role.
    Last edited by srl7741; 11-18-2009 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Updated post.

  2. #2
    gooseology's Avatar
    gooseology no está en línea Stack level 1
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18
    Could this be the end of my affinity to Blackberry? Already running every available Google app on my Curve 8900. Gonna watch this one closely . . .

  3. #3
    planneau's Avatar
    planneau no está en línea Stack level 5
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,029
    Am thinking this might be the HTC HD2. The word on the street is that it is coming to Tmo; and it might be either winmo 6.5 or android. But it is coming; and it thinner than the iphone and Droid.
    ..........SHAKE N BAKE..........

  4. #4
    Emmc's Avatar
    Emmc no está en línea Stack level 5
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,135
    This will make me hold off an upgrade in the near future. Very interesting

  5. #5
    VandalDuck's Avatar
    VandalDuck no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    23
    It will be interesting to see how they keep momentum they have built up with their current partners....without upsetting them. Verizon has spent a TON on marketing around the Droid...

  6. #6
    mobile99's Avatar
    mobile99 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    328
    Wonderful, bring it on.

    This is the phone that will shake up RIM and the others, which will be good for everyone.

    I enjoy my 8900 for what it is, but compared to the previous 83xx series it's just a minor upgrade. Or downgrade depending on how you look at it. The beauty of the 83xx is for a small fee one could buy a brand new trackball assembly and change it in five minutes making navigation just like new. Now one must tear apart most of the 8900 just to _get_ to the trackball. Yes I am aware that RIM is slowly adding the new trackpad to their models but it's almost too little too late.

    As far as the 9700, it does _not_ resemble anything Bold. First RIM creates the Real Bold 9000 with it's beautiful, large display and terrific spacious keyboard. Then a year later they take it away, by downsizing the 9700 to the one size fits all (109mm x 60mm) form factor of the 8900 and others. Just what are they thinking? Who knows? Who cares?

    At least my iPhone 3Gs is the benefactor of some nice upgrades and refinements without messing with the form factor. While I believe that the first iPhones should have had 3G, as it was readily being used at the time, even Apple after two tries, gets the third generation device right.

    Thus I have a good combo. The old school 8900 for mundane routine tasks, and the iPhone 3Gs for great web browsing, music, videos, and a lot of fun.

    Apple and the others are sure to like the new 9700 as it takes away any advantage and distinction of the Real Bold 9000 and homogenizes the lineup.

    Android is coming on strong and I for one welcome something truly new. Even if they do not factor in as a huge challenger to RIM or Apple, the mere presence of "Google" is going to wake up some sleeping giants.

  7. #7
    Jaricanese's Avatar
    Jaricanese no está en línea Software Pro
    Join Date
    May 2007
    PIN/ID
    ASK
    Posts
    902
    Quote Originally Posted by gooseology View Post
    Could this be the end of my affinity to Blackberry? Already running every available Google app on my Curve 8900. Gonna watch this one closely . . .
    I agree. I love BlackBerry but the only thing I love more is Google. I run all the Google apps as well and a completely Google phone is very very tempting.

    Quote Originally Posted by planneau View Post
    Am thinking this might be the HTC HD2. The word on the street is that it is coming to Tmo; and it might be either winmo 6.5 or android. But it is coming; and it thinner than the iphone and Droid.
    ? I think the article is saying that this phone is being made completely by Google meaning no HTC and definitely running Android.

  8. #8
    KriK's Avatar
    KriK no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    228
    This will be interesting for international callers if the VoIP is for real... I'd be interested. I wonder if there would be a way to avoid international roaming as well... Probably not though. Carriers are too dependent on the roaming income. Hmmm. Worth wishing for though.
    I believe in paying for quality products!
    Support PinStack.com by getting a premium membership.
    Click HERE for your membership options

  9. #9
    rdills's Avatar
    rdills no está en línea Stack Professional
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    PIN/ID
    Huh?
    Posts
    1,255
    Quote Originally Posted by mobile99 View Post
    Wonderful, bring it on.

    This is the phone that will shake up RIM and the others, which will be good for everyone.

    I enjoy my 8900 for what it is, but compared to the previous 83xx series it's just a minor upgrade. Or downgrade depending on how you look at it. The beauty of the 83xx is for a small fee one could buy a brand new trackball assembly and change it in five minutes making navigation just like new. Now one must tear apart most of the 8900 just to _get_ to the trackball. Yes I am aware that RIM is slowly adding the new trackpad to their models but it's almost too little too late.

    As far as the 9700, it does _not_ resemble anything Bold. First RIM creates the Real Bold 9000 with it's beautiful, large display and terrific spacious keyboard. Then a year later they take it away, by downsizing the 9700 to the one size fits all (109mm x 60mm) form factor of the 8900 and others. Just what are they thinking? Who knows? Who cares?

    At least my iPhone 3Gs is the benefactor of some nice upgrades and refinements without messing with the form factor. While I believe that the first iPhones should have had 3G, as it was readily being used at the time, even Apple after two tries, gets the third generation device right.

    Thus I have a good combo. The old school 8900 for mundane routine tasks, and the iPhone 3Gs for great web browsing, music, videos, and a lot of fun.

    Apple and the others are sure to like the new 9700 as it takes away any advantage and distinction of the Real Bold 9000 and homogenizes the lineup.

    Android is coming on strong and I for one welcome something truly new. Even if they do not factor in as a huge challenger to RIM or Apple, the mere presence of "Google" is going to wake up some sleeping giants.

    I agree with you except I believe Google offers a significant challenge to RIM, Apple, Palm and others. If you know how Google operates then you know it will be a great product, open source, with minimal cost for the consumer. I think that combination will win out over any silly brand loyalty over time. Nokia seems to get it. The N900 looks promising but lets see how they execute.
    Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-us; T-Mobile myTouch 3G Build/DRC92) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1

  10. #10
    mobile99's Avatar
    mobile99 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    328
    Quote Originally Posted by rdills View Post
    I agree with you except I believe Google offers a significant challenge to RIM, Apple, Palm and others. If you know how Google operates then you know it will be a great product, open source, with minimal cost for the consumer. I think that combination will win out over any silly brand loyalty over time.
    I could not agree more. My post may have been misread, or perhaps I was not clear. I simply said even "IF" it's not competitive.

    My point being if it is, then obviously it's a huge problem for the competition. If it's not, then it still shakes them up.

    I believe that there is a huge Google following that will be more than ready to move to a G-Phone.

  11. #11
    srl7741's Avatar
    srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    Join Date
    May 2006
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    Posts
    6,359
    This thread may help those interested understand some of the differences when it comes to Google's Plan. I still believe the average user does not care about many of the things we often discuss here and simply want a product that works and is easy to use.

    http://forums.pinstack.com/f214/unde...rategy-115860/

    .

  12. #12
    mobile99's Avatar
    mobile99 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    328
    Quote Originally Posted by srl7741 View Post
    I still believe the average user does not care about many of the things we often discuss here and simply want a product that works and is easy to use.
    I could not agree more.

    As smartphones advance there is a growing base of users that want a degree of simplicity and ease of use over anything else.

  13. #13
    Jaricanese's Avatar
    Jaricanese no está en línea Software Pro
    Join Date
    May 2007
    PIN/ID
    ASK
    Posts
    902
    True true true. I know so many people who have, say a G1, yet also use an iTouch, GPS Navagation system, as well as a pocket organize (the paper kind). That just doesn't make any sense to me at all but they claim they just got the phone because it looks nice.

    Some people just want simple oh well.

  14. #14
    rdills's Avatar
    rdills no está en línea Stack Professional
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    PIN/ID
    Huh?
    Posts
    1,255
    True indeed. But ease of use is only part of the equation. I feel that low price points is what really make the future of smartphones so bright. We've come a long way from the 600.00 first generation Iphones. Now you can have either the Pre, Hero, or the Iphone for under 100 bucks! The results of good competition and it only means good times ahead for us. And you really cant lose picking any one of the those three phones I just mentioned. The hottest phones on the market now make more sense than ever economically for consumer.

    Also, It just seems like every time I turn around Google is offering me some great service for free, and I'm still waiting for the sucker punch. Its one of the main reasons I jumped on board with Android from day 1.
    Last edited by rdills; 11-20-2009 at 01:56 PM.
    You can't learn anything if you're talking!

  15. #15
    mobile99's Avatar
    mobile99 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    328
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaricanese View Post
    True true true. I know so many people who have, say a G1, yet also use an iTouch, GPS Navagation system, as well as a pocket organize (the paper kind). That just doesn't make any sense to me at all but they claim they just got the phone because it looks nice.

    Some people just want simple oh well.
    The way I look at it, I respect everyone's choice of the tools they use. IE: phone, paper notebook, netbook, laptop, pocket organizer or whatever. I simply don't judge.

    What I do see as quite positive is that we _have_ these choices and if simplicity sells more phones or smartphones, then everyone wins. At the end of the day I would highly prefer to use just one phone, but it takes two to do the job for me. A BB for mobile communications, email, sms, etc. An iPhone for on the go web access with a larger screen on a device that is still practical to carry everywhere easily. If it were up to me I would create an iPhone with a slide out landscape keyboard, and then I could use just one phone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •