No, it's not because you didn't finish your vegetables. The truth is of the matter ... Android News forum

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask

No Donut or Eclair For G1 Users

Advertisement

No, it's not because you didn't finish your vegetables. The truth is of the matter is that the planned updates for the Android OS, named Donut and Eclair, will likely not be coming to the G1. The first Android based device looks like it may have hit the end of the road for OS updates before the 2 year contract customers had to sign to get the device is even up.

The problem stems from the limited space within the device for storing the OS and apps. The device features 256mb of internal flash memory and speculation is currently that both Donut and Eclair will be too large for the OS partition. Jean-Baptiste Queru, Android Software Engineer, said “Where the situation is really tricky is that the system partition on the US G1 was already filled to the brim with cupcake, and we were routinely flirting with build sizes that were a few dozen kB under the limit (or several MB over…), which means that even small changes to the core platform could very easily push the system size over the limit and staying under the limit took some effort”.

The folks over at AndroidAndMe got in contact with T-Mobile and recevied this as a response:

We plan to continue working with Google to introduce future software updates to the T-Mobile G1. Reports to the contrary are inaccurate.Regards,

T-Mobile USA, Inc.
    Public Relations

However, the previous post from one of the people actually working on the OS seems to sound a little different. In any event, T-Mobile will likely continue to release bug fixes and security patches, but it does look like the G1 may have reached it's capacity.

Check out the full article here.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

FahCore no está en línea Stack level 2
    tMo rep never said there would be more updates, just they are working with google for updates- HAH-typical corp responce
    BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.231 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100

Thyth no está en línea Stack level 3
    Modded distributions that store part of the system on microSD is a possibility, to work around that device limit.
    Need an eScreen code? Try my generator: http://absolous.wavegap.com/projects/escreen/

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    From this article and several others, it appears that Google has put the installation on SD cards feature on hold. Current speculation is that it will be a while before we see it on Android as a native feature. Those of us with BB's are still waiting for it.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

Thyth no está en línea Stack level 3
    Google isn't the only distributor of the Android OS. With the Dream completely rooted, users are at complete liberty to configure the OS however they desire. There are already distributions for the Dream, Magic, and Hero that use the microSD card for applications. It's not hard to do at the system/OS level, because Android is Linux at the core, with a special userspace. You can mount the SD card (or partitions on the SD card) wherever you want in the directory tree structure. Kernel, initram, and the boot can be stored on internal flash; everything else can be stored on microSD (though the device won't do much without that card in).

So, power users who want Donut/Eclair/Flan on their Dream devices will be able to do so, even if not "officially".

The BlackBerry OS, on the other hand, is fairly fragile with respect to the module database. So... expect WebKit (and a complete OS overhaul) before you see SD card application installation happen. I stopped holding my breath for that.
    Need an eScreen code? Try my generator: http://absolous.wavegap.com/projects/escreen/

WhitePearlPXL no está en línea Stack level 4
    ah nooooo. please tell me they'll be releasing another android device with a keyboard... i knew this g1 was limited since i got it. bah!
    Paolo
    Moto Droid with SteamROM v4.0.5 Steam Theme
    Steam 1.2ghz Low Voltage Kernel
    Apple MacBook Pro
    Jeremiah 29:11
    Try us out! www.mycellularsource.com

rdills no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?
    Yes there will be a new version of the G1 coming soon. I change phones about every 6 to 8 months. I couldnt imagine keeping a phone for 2 years. But your G1 will still work fine without the update if you decide to keep it 2 years.
    Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.5; en-us; T-Mobile myTouch 3G Build/COC10) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1

Any word on when it'll be out? Any previews? I too switch phones every 1 year. In the case of the iphone it's 6 months lol.
    Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.5; en-us; T-Mobile G1 Build/CRC1) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1

PIN/ID
    Huh?
    Looks good if this is the real pic! I'll be getting this one!

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/...-mobile-g1-v2/
    You can't learn anything if you're talking!

That's coming out this october? How come there's no news on it? I really hope that's not the motorola android going around cause it sure looks like it. There's no way I'm using my 2 year extension for a moto even if it's running android!
    Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.5; en-us; T-Mobile G1 Build/CRC1) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1

Mortgage_Man no está en línea Stack level 3
    I running a mod'd rom on a rooted g1 that has many donut features + apps2sd app (100+ apps installed), use a swap partition on the card for memory tweaks, and the processor runs at 528mhz.

Alot of reading and learning will get you far on the g1. I suggest reading up on the xda-developers website and following Cyanogen's roms. Hes doing the best work right now with speed and stability in mind. The stock g1 isnt running near its capacity.

PIN/ID
    Huh?
    True indeed Mortgage! I'll be rooting the My Touch in a few days after more reading and learning!lol But Yeah, the G1 still has much to offer.
    You can't learn anything if you're talking!

sure does. just rooted today and loaded CM4.0.2. simply put - awesome.
    Paolo
    Moto Droid with SteamROM v4.0.5 Steam Theme
    Steam 1.2ghz Low Voltage Kernel
    Apple MacBook Pro
    Jeremiah 29:11
    Try us out! www.mycellularsource.com