Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Too bad you gave up on Android before trying the "Gadget Of The Year",lol which ... Android News forum

rdills no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?

Advertisement

Too bad you gave up on Android before trying the "Gadget Of The Year",lol which is superior to your idont, in almost every way except number of apps. (screen, keyboard, true multitasking, camera, open OS, network, ETC) all facts not opinion. My point was this is just 1 Android device. Compared to the Android devices coming up next year with super processors and devices being used as wifi access points, you just can't make empty comparisons to the BB. Nothing about the Android project resembles RIM and their BB problems.

The developer argument is empty as well. Because of a random article claiming as such? You think they will walk away from a platform thats growing as fast as Android? Yeah ok! Meanwhile, giant companies like Motorola, HTC, LG, Samsung, Sprint, Verizon, Acer, etc are all jumping in head 1st for Android!

The devs will go where the users are. Which is the Idont at the moment. But Android is a force now. Just picking up steam in its 1st year, already beating apple on hardware, and danm close on they're 5th generation software.
    You can't learn anything if you're talking!

neorabid no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    neorabid
    So you are telling me that developers make apps for every single version of the OS and every single device with special features that others dont have? When you start adding different variables like screen size, keyboards, buttons, etc... it starts leaving people & devices out. Thats exactly how BB is, the model may be different but the concept is the same. Quality > Quantity

The Android platform had a year to see where Apple was lacking and get feedback from people and testers. How many models did it take for them to surpass the iPhone? Comparing Android to iPhone is like comparing Apples to Oranges (lol no pun intended)

The android market blows! im sorry but this was definately not one of my favorite things to do on my android phones. The only thing it had going for it was that you could return products that you bought, which also led to free paid apps because of the crappy method of paid detection, which is great for people that dont want to pay money but crappy for the developers that are being robbed blind.

The iPhone can multitask and you can develop without apples approval just by jailbreaking just like root acces on the Android platform.

I have never had a problem with service in my area with AT&T but verizon sucks where I live and I like multi-tasking.

We will see how things go in 2010, but I highly doubt that the open user expierence will catch on like you say it will especially with the cracking down on rooting, people will want a phone that functions and makes their life easier and the iPhone is the one to beat its been almost 3 years now and no phone has even come close to dethroning it.
    Quotes to live by:
    • Inspiration is like a lost sock. When your searching you can never find it, and when it appears, you least expect it.
    • There are no exceptions to the rule that everybody likes to be an exception to the rule.
    • Ideas are the factors that lift civilization. They create revolutions. There is more dynamite in an idea than in many bombs.
    • Realize deeply that the present moment is all you ever have.

PIN/ID
    neorabid
    My Idont sure does do alot more than what you give it credit:

Last edited by neorabid; 12-13-2009 at 05:40 AM.
    Quotes to live by:
    • Inspiration is like a lost sock. When your searching you can never find it, and when it appears, you least expect it.
    • There are no exceptions to the rule that everybody likes to be an exception to the rule.
    • Ideas are the factors that lift civilization. They create revolutions. There is more dynamite in an idea than in many bombs.

DjSmooth no está en línea Stack Professional
    Quote Originally Posted by ventz View Post
    I really have to call bull$#17 on that one.

I had the myTouch, and while I liked many things,

#1.) It's not yet there to be rated phone / system of the year (although it has massive amounts of potential)

#2.) The Moto Droid is just getting the award because Verizon backed it up with $1,000,000 worth of commercials (which roughly is the same cost as giving a LOT of people free phones OR dropping $100 of the cost of the phone -- you be the judge of them making a good decision).

-Ventz
    I do believe the free phone thing did not take place until after at least 800,000 or more units were sold...

DjSmooth no está en línea Stack Professional
    Quote Originally Posted by rdills View Post
    Except, they did spent the money on marketing, gave a LOT of people free phones, and dropped the price. Lol. I love the denial that some people are in. Its priceless! Droid's #1 and you guys just hate it!..haha Some "experts" never thought it possible. Gotta love it.
    Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.0.1; en-us; Droid Build/ESD56) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17
    I hear ya, since when is that a Bad thing to market something totally new, and as stated the BOGO with the Droid started after they've already sold close to a million phones. And the BOGO started after this Article, just accept it and move on - the Droid beat out the IPhone for Gadget of the Year...

bassvictim no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    HEAD
    Quote Originally Posted by ventz View Post
    I really have to call bull$#17 on that one.

I had the myTouch, and while I liked many things,

#1.) It's not yet there to be rated phone / system of the year (although it has massive amounts of potential)

#2.) The Moto Droid is just getting the award because Verizon backed it up with $1,000,000 worth of commercials (which roughly is the same cost as giving a LOT of people free phones OR dropping $100 of the cost of the phone -- you be the judge of them making a good decision).

-Ventz
    It's a matter of opinion, and what you use your phone for - thats what it comes down to,period. I love the Droid - thanks again Cowboy - it does exactly what I need it to do, for my lifestyle and career. I had the iphone, and numerous BB's, but I do have to say - for me, I don't see myself going back to anything else after having this phone. And I quoted you ventz, because you were basing your opinion on the myTouch, which is not a good enough representation of Android OS's to base your theory about the Droid on,sorry.
    "I am a robot, I like robots, I have a robot vagina." -JP,Grandma's boy

PIN/ID
    Huh?
    @ neoabid

You must know those screen shot are totally unimpressive to any experienced Android user. Its nowhere near the level of customization we're used to. Cmon, that looks like every other idont I've ever seen in my life!lmao. Oh where's your Google Voice icon in those shots? hehe. Apple said "what? A free number for everyone? Hell No! They're lucky we barely gave em MMS capability last month!" Hilarious.

But joking aside, here's a FAIR comparison for everyone to enjoy. And when you consider the head start Apple had, this is IMPRESSIVE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9YGv...om=PL&index=13
    Last edited by rdills; 12-13-2009 at 04:37 PM.

ReggieSmith no está en línea Stack level 3
    I just don't get how they name it "system of the year." It has been out for a couple of months, tops, and has nowhere near the sales, following or true functionality. The fact that only 256mb of 16GB is available for application installs is severely limited. Also, installing applications on it isn't all that straight forward. And application developers are kinda shy of the Android platform simply because it takes too much resources to code an App for the numerous HW platform / OS rev combinations.

True.. the Droid has potential, but I don't see it as "Device of the Year."
    ------

From time to time, you have to wonder...... What was I saying?

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    I don't know how much more straight forward installing apps can get. Go to market, read description of app, sounds good, click install. It then shows you what controls/permissions it will have select OK or cancel. Simple and straightforward.....

Also remember that Apple had a huge following of it's own before they released the iPhone....highly devoted peeps clamoring to get anything Apple put out. I am not knocking the iPhone, at one point I wanted one....bad, and if it wasn't for the restriction of AT&T I may have had one already.

Android has come a long way in it's 15 months of being released and it keeps getting better. I agree with Neo though, it's comparing apples to oranges.......they both have their good and bad, both have room to improve.

I <3 my Droid
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

PIN/ID
    neorabid
    Quote Originally Posted by rdills View Post
    @ neoabid

You must know those screen shot are totally unimpressive to any experienced Android user. Its nowhere near the level of customization we're used to. Cmon, that looks like every other idont I've ever seen in my life!lmao. Oh where's your Google Voice icon in those shots? hehe. Apple said "what? A free number for everyone? Hell No! They're lucky we barely gave em MMS capability last month!" Hilarious.

But joking aside, here's a FAIR comparison for everyone to enjoy. And when you consider the head start Apple had, this is IMPRESSIVE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9YGv...om=PL&index=13
    I have google voice on my phone as well as widgets and customization out the wazoo. I just like to keep my phone straight forward and not totally out there, I like functionality more than wild and out crazy stuff. Although I have the ability to do it.

That video pretty much sums it up if you want a phone that works well with verizon get the droid for everyone else get an iPhone.
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16

mobile99 no está en línea Stack level 3
    My Droid is the second Android powered smartphone I've owned.

The overwhelming impression I get based on my personal experience, is that the Android project tends to issue updates that contain true functionality improvements, not just bug fixes. It's this attention to detail and comprehensive response that gives them the lead in OS development within the smartphone sector. If RIM or the others had such a clear focus and a speed of implementation policy, they would be much better off.

PIN/ID
    neorabid
    Quote Originally Posted by ReggieSmith View Post
    I just don't get how they name it "system of the year." It has been out for a couple of months, tops, and has nowhere near the sales, following or true functionality. The fact that only 256mb of 16GB is available for application installs is severely limited. Also, installing applications on it isn't all that straight forward. And application developers are kinda shy of the Android platform simply because it takes too much resources to code an App for the numerous HW platform / OS rev combinations.

True.. the Droid has potential, but I don't see it as "Device of the Year."
    +1

Without root and Apps2SD you are severely limited in what you can do as far as applications.
    Quotes to live by:

PIN/ID
    Huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by neorabid View Post
    +1

Without root and Apps2SD you are severely limited in what you can do as far as applications.
    This isn't the G1 guys. Theres enough internal space for apps. And root access has already been achieved on the Droid so.....

Listen I know its a difficult time, the princess phone usually rules these type of lists, is now being beat out by not 1 but 2 Android devices(GO NOOK!!) It must be a hard pill to swallow. But lets be fair! "Severely Limited" are not the words you walk away thinking after using the Droid and you know it! I mean even though the Droid is faster with superior specs, currently, its not a threat to your Iphones. Its just the beginning of the threat.lol So give respect where its due. Calling such a clearly impressive device limited only shows your hurt feelings. :cry:

PIN/ID
    neorabid
    Never, lol
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16

mobile99 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Speaking from experience as one who owns both a Droid and an iPhone3Gs. I've done a lot of reading and research on both. Based on every indicator I see presently, as some point in the not too distant future, I believe the Android platform will accelerate with such speed in the fast lane they will handily pass Apple. Time will tell.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast