Well, that's a bit embarassing: Google has had its trademark application for 'Nexus' rejected, as ... Android News forum

DjSmooth no está en línea Stack Professional

Google's Nexus branding under threat

Advertisement

Well, that's a bit embarassing: Google has had its trademark application for 'Nexus' rejected, as a small Oregon firm already owns it.

The threat to the name of the company's flagship smartphone is rather more serious than the last. In January, the estate of the author Philip K Dick challenged the Nexus name on the grounds that it was used for the androids in Dick's most famous book, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, later filmed as Bladerunner. [Read More]

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    Wonder what name Google will go with if they're forced to change it. The thing is though, the article says the telecom company that uses the name simply goes by Nexus, not Nexus One. Somehow I doubt too many people would confuse this company's non-smartphone product with Google's Nexus One.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

smooth10 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    21CB9337
    Quote Originally Posted by MStrawder View Post
    Wonder what name Google will go with if they're forced to change it. The thing is though, the article says the telecom company that uses the name simply goes by Nexus, not Nexus One. Somehow I doubt too many people would confuse this company's non-smartphone product with Google's Nexus One.
    Totally agree. That's the first thing I thought of.

Perhaps Google can just call the device the "One"

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    Apple didn't own the name iPhone either before they started selling it, Cisco did. I'm sure Google will work it out and retain the Nexus One name.

rdills no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?
    Yes, Google will just throw some money at this problem and it should go away.
    You can't learn anything if you're talking!

PIN/ID
    Retired
    If I'm not mistaken Droid is a registered trade mark of Lucas Arts Films (Star Wars).

I'm almost sure if that and it has not hampered Google or Verizon.

Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16

MissBlackberry9630 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    30cad226
    The name Droid is used with permission from Lucas Arts Films.

pkcable no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask via
    Quote Originally Posted by rdills View Post
    Yes, Google will just throw some money at this problem and it should go away.

ding ding ding, I think we have a winner! I too believe the parties will be able to come to a financial solution.
    Rich C.
    Twitter me @ http://twitter.com/pkcable

Reinstall Your OS on a Bricked BB Click here

PIN/ID
    Retired
    There's no question in my mind either. The Nexus One will remain and everything will be just fine. I'm more concerned about the other lawsuits with HTC and Apple and also the reported screen issues.

I really want one but with no store to walk into or return to I'm concerned and holding off just a bit longer.