Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Wonder what the pricing will be like, and if it will be able to run ... Android News forum

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!

Advertisement

Wonder what the pricing will be like, and if it will be able to run on 3G across networks.
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

dirtypirate no está en línea Stack level 2
    I think google is going in the right direction and I can't wait to get my hands on one of these units.

li2327 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    30D2E555
    Android is very cool software. My daughter loved the g1 I gave her before it stopped working. Definitely an alternative to my iPhone.
    Posted via smartphone

ReggieSmith no está en línea Stack level 3
    I can't see where tuis would work on a CDMA carrier. They have to "add" the phone to your account for it to work as opposed to GSM where you just pop in your SIM. Can't see Verizon going for that. In fact, I can easily see the carriers saying "we weren't allowed to test it so you can't use it on our network" and then blocking the Google phones.

I think soon we will be able to buy direct from the manufacturer here, but that will cut out the carrier subsidies and most people do not want to pay that high price up front. Until te carriers drop their rates for folks who don't obtain a handset from them we won't see it.
    Posted via smartphone

jrockett no está en línea BES Pro
    See this is what Google should have done from the start. They've had plenty of time to look at the best of the BlackBerry and the iPhone and see what not to do. Just don't be evil.
    Data Outages
    Reinstall OS
    Desktop/Device Page

Yes, I'm a BES admin with an iPhone 3G.

Follow me on Twitter!

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    Anyone else seeing the potential here for the inclusion of Google Voice as the voice network? A truly mobile VOIP solution. That sound you just heard was a carrier executive crapping his pants somewhere.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

Lowercase no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    30D51B0D
    I agree with the whole "How are the CDMA carriers going to take this?" Especially with Sprint launching it's 4G (already launched in some markets) as well as what Verizon is working on with their data network. I know it's not the most difficult to make a GSM/CDMA phone seeing how both CDMA carriers have one, but like stated above, with the CDMA carriers you have to add it to the account and physically program it (eventhough more and more phones are programed OTA). So who knows, I do like the idea, it should be like it is in Europe, pick the phone, and then the carrier. Time will tell, very interesting though.

GO GOOGLE!

If this ends up being the case, it may be hard to not go with it, but that'd mean I'd have to give up the Blackberry.... HA! Never.
    "My Crackberry is faster than the Rev's Blackberry®."

Thyth no está en línea Stack level 3
    Given that Google has handed out such unlocked devices at the I/O developer conference, and makes the ADP1 available to all market registered Android Developers, this wouldn't be entirely unexpected. ADP1 and Ion were both HTC built, but special productions for Google (SIM/bootloader unlocked).

I'm not sure how many people are willing to pay $500+ for a carrier free phone, though.
    Need an eScreen code? Try my generator: http://absolous.wavegap.com/projects/escreen/

ReggieSmith no está en línea Stack level 3
    The only way the "carrier independent" model will truly spread is for most, if not all, of the major manufacturers to really begin selling them in the US that way and for AT LEAST 1 of the major carriers to offer a reduced price plan that accounts for them not having to subsidize a handset. THAT is the key. In Europe and Asia, rate plans are much lower respectively because the carriers do not subsidize the handsets.

Having said that, American consumers, by in large, are not ready to pay $500 and up for a mobile phone. Of course some will. (Remember when the 1st-gen iPhone hit the market and AT&T did not subsidize it?) But most folks aren't in that group of users who will pay whatever to have the next greatest.

This model would also force the carriers to "step up their game" in terms of network performance & customer service. Once the majority of consumers are no longer locked into contracts, network and customer service will be the items that either hold or lose customers.
    ------

From time to time, you have to wonder...... What was I saying?

halfcack no está en línea Stack level 1
    Aren't they going to use the white spaces in the old analog tv 700 mg band?

Quote Originally Posted by srl7741 View Post
    Interesting......... Wonder how this will work? Will it be both CDMA and GSM and can we just walk into any Carrier of our choosing and purchase a cell phone package? Maybe we won't have to do any of that and there is something else we will be presented with?

I like things like this, should be nice. "Be Free" could be their new Ad campaign slogan
    Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-us; T-Mobile myTouch 3G Build/DRC92) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1

jag257 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by MStrawder View Post
    Anyone else seeing the potential here for the inclusion of Google Voice as the voice network? A truly mobile VOIP solution. That sound you just heard was a carrier executive crapping his pants somewhere.
    last sentence got me rolling very funny
    JAG257
    iPhone4
    " Losers try their best, WINNERS do what ever it takes"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12