Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

In the movie Blade Runner , the Nexus series of replicants – genetically engineered by ... Android News forum

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Google Steps on Toes With the Name "Nexus One" for their Smartphone

Advertisement

In the movie Blade Runner, the Nexus series of replicants – genetically engineered by the Tyrell Corporation – are virtually identical to an adult human being, but have superior strength, agility, a wider temperature range tolerance, and variable intelligence depending on the model. The Nexus-6 series is said to have been made for superior strength and agility, for use in off-world mining colonies.

According to the SMH website "...revelations that it [Google's Smartphone] will be named Nexus One have dismayed the family of a famous science-fiction writer.

Isa Dick Hackett, daughter of author Philip K. Dick who wrote the novel that inspired the Blade Runner movie, said in an interview that she was “shocked and dismayed” by reports that the company had named its new smartphone Nexus One. The new Google-branded phone will run on Google's own Android operating system, and is expected to be a strong rival to the iPhone.

As president of the arm of Dick's estate that handles film adaptations and the licensing of materials, Hackett told The New York Times she believed the name had “a very obvious connection” to her father's novel Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, which centres on a generation of rogue Nexus-6 robots.

“We were never consulted, no requests were made, and we didn't grant any sort of permissions,” said Hackett, who is taking legal counsel on the matter.

Read More

PIN/ID
    Apple
    well. I knew someone would have something bad to say about the nexus. That's right I mde that connection right away............after I read the post and remembered how bad that movie was.
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask
    lol. I'm seriously considering this smartphone no matter what the final name may be.

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    That's funny, wonder if Google will cave in and give them some shut up money or if they will fight it.
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

bmay82 no está en línea Stack Professional
    They will pay em off to shut em up....they have the money!
    Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-us; T-Mobile G1 Build/DRC83) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1

PIN/ID
    Apple
    Yea. This one is my next device also. Whatever they call it, although I do like the name nexus, they could leave off the one part IMO.
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16

piperanasazi no está en línea Stack level 1
    Whatever Isa Dick Hackett There is a nexxus nexxus.com hair company. Are you going to go after them TOO?! Oh wait how about nexus.com Nexus, Inc. was founded in 1961

Just shut up and sit down....

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    This device is really looking like the one that MIGHT lure me away from BB, but it's still debatable. As far as the name, I don't think this woman has a leg to stand on. You cannot patent the use of a word such as nexus. If Google were making their own people and called them the Nexus line, then yeah, maybe.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Unfortunately for Google if the name is patented, that woman has the right ! Legally! It happens with car model names quite frequently, and there are people that invemt all sorts of names in lots of languages, patent them, and then reap fat profits from manufacturers that want the name badly or aren't careful and use it without consultating, first, the World Patent Office.
    Regarding the phone, in whatever name it will come out, it will be a must-have.
    Merry Xmas everyone !

DjSmooth no está en línea Stack Professional
    Ok did I miss something, the book and movie mentioned Nexus-6 not Nexus One, and as one of the Post Mentioned, unless she patented the word Nexus which is highly unlikely, she should just Sit down and STFU. There are business, web sites, products all name Nexus are they hers too... Thats just ridiculous

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    Isa Dick Hackett please sit down and stop being a wannabe "Baloon Boy".

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator
    I think she is hot under the collar because of the Android and Nexus correlation to the novel. Super beings (androids) superphone, I can see it, but I didn't put two and two together until I read this. They just added the one because it's the first one. The next gen will most likely be N2, N3, etc.

I'm sure they'll pay them for the concept and move on. I can't wait to get my hands on one to check out.

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by BHP77 View Post
    ........after I read the post and remembered how bad that movie was.
    I loved the movie

WhitePearlPXL no está en línea Stack level 4
    omg.. give me a break.. it's not even called "nexus 6". sthu and gtho. i hope this guy loses this mad fail of a legal situation.
    Paolo
    Moto Droid with SteamROM v4.0.5 Steam Theme
    Steam 1.2ghz Low Voltage Kernel
    Apple MacBook Pro
    Jeremiah 29:11
    Try us out! www.mycellularsource.com

caustic no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask
    Did BHP say that blade runner was a bad movie? Wtf.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast