There are already a few good barcode scanning apps in the Android Market like ShopSavvy, ... Android News forum

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!

Google Shopper for Android

Advertisement

There are already a few good barcode scanning apps in the Android Market like ShopSavvy, SnapTell, and Barcode Scanner but now Google has added their own to the mix. It's called Google Shopper. You can search products in several ways, picture of the cover art, barcode, voice search, and typed search. I will need to play with it some more to see if it beats out some of the established apps. So far, barcode, voice search, and typed search seem to work well. Cover art is another story. I used the cover of a DVD and scanned it 3 times all giving different results. All results were for the correct DVD, but one time it showed just one seller, Gamestop, another time it showed a whole list of choices, many sellers, but also included other movies. The third time it showed a special "Pink" edition(which did not match mine) and was limited to one seller. Of course flipping the DVD over and scanning the barcode gave more consistant results but I hope to see the cover image search to improve with time.

It has some good features like starring favorites, search history, reviews, details, and more.

You can read more on the official Google Mobile Blog and see it in action on the video below. Let us know if you try it out and what you think.

Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    Are the search results listed a Local Store? That is one feature I think would be important.

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    With Steve on that one. A store in California doesn't do me much good. Sounds interesting. Wonder if Google is un-biased in the search results or if they have sponsors that get more hits.

It lists big chains like walmart, target, bestbuy, etc as well as online retailers like amazon. I use apps like this to see if the spot where I am shopping has a comparable price to other sellers or if I'm getting ripped off. It would be nice if they integrated a "find near me" option that automatically opens google maps with the nearest locations listed.

ShopSavvy has local stores but ever since the last update, clicking the local listings causes the app to force close every time.
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

Emmc no está en línea Stack level 5
    I've always thought bar code readers on any device to be a gimmick. Please don't tell me anyone actually walks into a retail "brick and mortar" and starts scanning bar codes. Has anyone?

Absolutely! Walmart offers price matching, I was able to show a cashier that bestbuy was selling a dvd $5 cheaper than walmart...they matched the bestbuy price. I also used it when christmas shopping to look for better deals. Saving money is no gimmick to me
    Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.0.1; en-us; Droid Build/ESD56) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17

Emmc no está en línea Stack level 5
    Point well taken, azstar. Just wondering; what does a dvd cost these days?