Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 25 of 25

look at it this way... If you research the device PRIOR to buying it, then ... Android News forum

  1. #16
    ReggieSmith's Avatar
    ReggieSmith no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    104

    Advertisement



    look at it this way... If you research the device PRIOR to buying it, then you will be better off. I think anyone who switches carriers solely to get the newest phone on the market is crazy anyway. (Yes, millions of Apple fanatics did it but that is a different breed of customer altogether anyway. The initial majority of Apple iPhone users, those who bought the 1st-gen iPhone with NO subsidy, are religiously loyal to all things Apple. They would have gotten the thing even if it meant making calls over a piece of string connected between the phones.) I am talking about the average user these days who buys into all the commercials & blogs, never lays hands on the device and is mad at their current carrier because they can't believe they got charged overages because they either talked or texted too much last month. These folks accept an ETF from their current carrier and risk one from the new carrier when they move over and are terribly disappointed with the new phone when they discover that the service isn't great or that they don't REALLY care about all the things they saw in the commercial.

    Do your homework folks. That's all I am saying.
    ------

    From time to time, you have to wonder...... What was I saying?

  2. #17
    MissBlackberry9630's Avatar
    MissBlackberry9630 no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    PIN/ID
    30cad226
    Posts
    27

    Why?

    What does Google loose by someone canceling their contract with a wireless carrier? I've done inventory for VZW and Verizon buys the phones for almost the full "retail price". When a cell phone carrier cells a phone with a contract they take a big hit for the phone, it makes sense for them to have an EFT, but exactly what is Google loosing? Someone enlighten me please!

  3. #18
    WhitePearlPXL's Avatar
    WhitePearlPXL no está en línea Stack level 4
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    642
    Quote Originally Posted by MissBlackberry9630 View Post
    What does Google loose by someone canceling their contract with a wireless carrier? I've done inventory for VZW and Verizon buys the phones for almost the full "retail price". When a cell phone carrier cells a phone with a contract they take a big hit for the phone, it makes sense for them to have an EFT, but exactly what is Google loosing? Someone enlighten me please!
    maybe t-mo buys them for 200 also.
    Paolo
    Moto Droid with SteamROM v4.0.5 Steam Theme
    Steam 1.2ghz Low Voltage Kernel
    Apple MacBook Pro
    Jeremiah 29:11
    Try us out! www.mycellularsource.com

  4. #19
    srl7741's Avatar
    srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    Join Date
    May 2006
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    Posts
    6,359
    ^^ I sort of had the same question. I bet that just might be the case. Otherwise they would be double dipping (so to speak).

  5. #20
    pdxmatts's Avatar
    pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    5,702
    Quote Originally Posted by WhitePearlPXL View Post
    maybe t-mo buys them for 200 also.
    TMO didn't buy them, they are just the carrier that Google made a deal with to service them. Google is the one who gets paid for the phones. Whether it be $530 or $200 Google gets that money not TMO. So, if you return it from a subsidized price and keep the phone, Google wants the remaining of the full price and will charge your credit card for it. If you return the phone, then you get your subsidized price refunded minus a restocking fee. TMO is getting a normal ETF for breaking a 2yr contract. But if you cancel within 14 days, you do not pay an ETF.
    ..
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16
    Last edited by pdxmatts; 01-14-2010 at 09:12 PM.

  6. #21
    pdxmatts's Avatar
    pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    5,702
    TMO Loyal Customers are upset that they can't get the subsidized deal, but they do not understand that TMO is not selling the Nexus One, Google is and TMO has no control over it at all. They are just the servicer for Google because of the 3G support. I feel bad for TMO because I think they are actually losing money on this deal. Because of the subsidized restrictions, TMO is not getting many new accounts and Loyal customers are threatening to go to another carrier because of it. It's a bad deal all around cause Google got greedy.

  7. #22
    WhitePearlPXL's Avatar
    WhitePearlPXL no está en línea Stack level 4
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    642
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxmatts View Post
    TMO didn't buy them, they are just the carrier that Google made a deal with to service them. Google is the one who gets paid for the phones. Whether it be $530 or $200 Google gets that money not TMO. So, if you return it from a subsidized price and keep the phone, Google wants the remaining of the full price and will charge your credit card for it. If you return the phone, then you get your subsidized price refunded minus a restocking fee. TMO is getting a normal ETF for breaking a 2yr contract. But if you cancel within 14 days, you do not pay an ETF.
    ..
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16
    glad i live in california. we've got 30 days =)
    Paolo
    Moto Droid with SteamROM v4.0.5 Steam Theme
    Steam 1.2ghz Low Voltage Kernel
    Apple MacBook Pro
    Jeremiah 29:11
    Try us out! www.mycellularsource.com

  8. #23
    MissBlackberry9630's Avatar
    MissBlackberry9630 no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    PIN/ID
    30cad226
    Posts
    27
    Well if that is the case, then tmobile is the one that shouldn't be locking people into a committment. Tmobile makes money off the monthly service charges, not the phone. So this is actually beneficial to them. Because if someone breaks the contract, they aren't losing anything.

  9. #24
    pdxmatts's Avatar
    pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    5,702
    Quote Originally Posted by MissBlackberry9630 View Post
    Well if that is the case, then tmobile is the one that shouldn't be locking people into a committment. Tmobile makes money off the monthly service charges, not the phone. So this is actually beneficial to them. Because if someone breaks the contract, they aren't losing anything.
    I don't see how losing customers is benificial.. Just sayin

  10. #25
    MissBlackberry9630's Avatar
    MissBlackberry9630 no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    PIN/ID
    30cad226
    Posts
    27

    You know. . . .

    What I mean! Here is my big question, are the carriers going to be paying Google monthly for service fees?? Is that how they are going to recoup money? Nexus is coming to verizon and I can't see big red doing that. But the winds may be changing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •