Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Google likes to do things differently than others and when it comes to ETF's they ... Android News forum

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired

Google Charging Nexus One ETF In ADDITION To Carrier ETF

Advertisement

Google likes to do things differently than others and when it comes to ETF's they continue to be unique.

If you buy a subsidized Nexus One through your carrier and cancel your account you not only have to pay an Early Termination Fee (ETF) to your carrier but ALSO have to pay GOOGLE an ETF that automatically charges your credit card the remainder of full price of the phone

Read More: Phandroid

Capdot no está en línea Stack level 5
    This is the "New" and "Exciting " way to sell cell phones.

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    Crazy stuff, would end up costing more than the non contract price of the phone by quite a bit. Wonder if that's even legal????
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Well, Google has gone from a "Free for All" to a gobble-gobble, yum-yum give me money conglomerate...unfair (I think) practices, you name it ! Geez...!
    What a change of attitude and company philosophy ...it sucks !

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask
    If google had no ETF then why buy the pone at full price if you could simply terminate early?

Probably could not talk carriers out of thier ETFs. For example I wonder what t- mobile wants to be compansated for, service?

It sounds totally legal and fair to me so far since it Google takes the hit on subsidizing the phone. Need more details on carriers end.

Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16

Emmc no está en línea Stack level 5
    At least it's only 120 day commitment.

But they shouldn't be allowed to charge a combined ETF that when added to your initial purchase is more than the full price of the device. I have no problems with ETFs but that is over the top.
    Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.0.1; en-us; Droid Build/ESD56) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask
    Quote Originally Posted by Emmc View Post
    At least it's only 120 day commitment.
    that could play a role also.
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator
    Your signing a 2 yr contract with TMO as well, so if you break that, your going to pay an extra $200 along with Googles ETF. We've discussed the double ETF already in the T-Mobile N1 thread. I would rather buy a phone direct from a vendor. At least you can look at it first before you buy. You better be sure you really want it because there is also a restocking fee if
    you return it even within the 14 days.
    Last edited by pdxmatts; 01-12-2010 at 06:34 PM.

Capdot no está en línea Stack level 5
    I understand why they are doing this, as hayden explained it, but this idea was crap since it was released. Why throw another company in the mix as these cell providers are already charging an arm and a leg.

WhitePearlPXL no está en línea Stack level 4
    it's not in addition, they charge the difference of the price. so it's not like it's 500 + 179. it's more like 179 + the remainder. this seems fair because the phone IS unlocked and it's basically a way to cheat google out of a perfectly good phone. 179 + 200 ETF is still cheaper than paying full price for the phone.
    Paolo
    Moto Droid with SteamROM v4.0.5 Steam Theme
    Steam 1.2ghz Low Voltage Kernel
    Apple MacBook Pro
    Jeremiah 29:11
    Try us out! www.mycellularsource.com

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator
    I believe it is the remainder of what you paid for the subsidized price which would be $350.00 + $200.00.

Quote Originally Posted by WhitePearlPXL View Post
    it's not in addition, they charge the difference of the price. so it's not like it's 500 + 179. it's more like 179 + the remainder. this seems fair because the phone IS unlocked and it's basically a way to cheat google out of a perfectly good phone. 179 + 200 ETF is still cheaper than paying full price for the phone.

the google document says $ 350 is the difference with the subsidized price. plus t-mobile is still charging $ 200. So unless you don't actually pay the t-mobile one, you are paying more for the phone.
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

WhitePearlPXL no está en línea Stack level 4
    is anyone else losing interest in this phone because of all these "rules"? i am.
    Paolo
    Moto Droid with SteamROM v4.0.5 Steam Theme
    Steam 1.2ghz Low Voltage Kernel
    Apple MacBook Pro
    Jeremiah 29:11
    Try us out! www.mycellularsource.com

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    this will greatly impact my decision to buy one if it ever drops on AT&T
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast