PCWorld : Did Apple ask Google not to put multi-touch capabilities on the Android-based G1? ... Android News forum

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Google Backs Off Multi-Touch to Please Apple, Report Claims

Advertisement

PCWorld: Did Apple ask Google not to put multi-touch capabilities on the Android-based G1? Rumor has it that Apple may have approached Google while the company was developing the G1 with HTC, and asked the search giant not to put gesture capabilities like pinching on the device. The news comes from an anonymous "Android insider" who spoke with Venture Beat.

If Apple did ask Google to back off then it would confirm what we've been hearing from Apple lately. Namely, Apple is vigorously protecting the technology behind the iPhone. It would also explain why Google elected not to use multi-touch on a platform that can clearly support it (see the YouTube video included in this post).

[Read More]

blackninja no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    spam=no
    Very interesting story.

I had assumed Google just didn't want to place any less-than-perfected features for initial release to limit amount of bugginess and then for second major release come with an explosion of new features. I mean look how many basic features the iPhone was missing initially? MMS isn't quite futuristic (Sprint might disagree *chuckle*).

Good story. I like tech baby-mama-drama.

Jbee no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    3047D925
    Apple has some control issues....apps/devices/etc. I love my Storm-new Apple replacement.

guitarfreak846 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Apple is pretty gay for not letting other companies use their ideas for technology. It would help advance so many electronic devices.

PIN/ID
    ask
    Thats just the way it goes. Or all smartphones would have pin messaging (BBM) right?

WhitePearlPXL no está en línea Stack level 4
    ~via smartphone~ yeah it really helps advance technology by copying other people's ideas./sarcasm

PIN/ID
    ask
    Quote Originally Posted by WhitePearlPXL View Post
    ~via smartphone~ yeah it really helps advance technology by copying other people's ideas./sarcasm
    Could NOT have said it better

Berryadict no está en línea Stack level 7
    ~via smartphone~
    The unbelievable success of the iPhone has an entire industry not only trying to emulate it, but come out with something better. Apple is of course going to vigorously defend their patent rights.
    If Google hadn't recognized validity in Apple's assertions, I'm sure that they wouldn't have been so cautious.
    Last edited by Berryadict; 02-10-2009 at 06:30 PM.

siccmade no está en línea Stack level 4
    hey if Google wants multi touch let them....apple cant be telling other company's how to make there phones! if that was the case the bb storm wouldn't have been born.
    TMO:MYTOUCH 3G SLIDE
    ROM:SlideMeRoot5r1
    KERNEL:2.6.29-5F8ED14

planneau no está en línea Stack level 5
    Apple is afraid of google of some other company coming out with a device that will take the iphone off the hot list. Speaking of not allowing google not to do multi touch. Why is apple coming out with this Ichat that lets you instant message other iphones? Can you say Blackberry Messenger bite off; I know you can.
    ..........SHAKE N BAKE..........

jglee311 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ASKME
    You know.....as bad as it sucks for everyone else, you can't blame Apple for protecting what it invented. That will just make the rest step up to the plate and get creative.

blackninja no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    spam=no
    Quote Originally Posted by siccmade View Post
    ....apple cant be telling other company's how to make there phones!
    Actually they can. That's the whole basis of a patent.

pat·ent
      1. A grant made by a government that confers upon the creator of an invention the sole right to make, use, and sell that invention for a set period of time.
    It's part of why we use blackberries. If RIM didn't have their own patents I'm sure Samsung, LG or another large phone maker would have just mirror'd one of their many successful designs, implemented a similiar set of security protocols and server setups and run a pseudo BIS/BES at a slightly cheaper price.