Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

BusinessWeek has posted an interesting article about Verizon and what they have done to prepare ... Apple iPhone News forum

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired

Verizon Wireless Prepares for the iPhone

Advertisement

BusinessWeek has posted an interesting article about Verizon and what they have done to prepare for 2010. I would love to see Verizon able to sell the iPhone and give current iPhone customers more options. The iPhone on the Verizon Network would certainly change how AT&T does business. I can't help but think both Verizon and AT&T customers would benefit.

Verizon Wireless has even made upgrades that would make its network more capable of handling extra traffic that would be generated by the iPhone, Verizon Wireless Chief Technology Officer Anthony Melone says in an interview.

"We have put things in place already," Melone tells Bloomberg BusinessWeek. "We are prepared to support that traffic."

Full Article

What do you think? What would it do for current price plans and iPhone sales?
    Last edited by srl7741; 12-18-2009 at 07:55 PM.

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    Sweeeeeeet! If they get it. I'll sell the one I got. with the money pay my cancellation fee and get the new one with a new contract .
    What's the matter? CIA's got you pushing too many pencils?

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    If it does happen, I will at least give it a try.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    If they get it, I wonder what the price of the data plan will be.

MWPatterson no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Plz
    I like the Google Nexus One, that thing rocks. A coworker had hands on one when the Google rep was in this week and he is an apple freak and he said it was faster than his wifes iPhone 3G(S). He said it was smoother and transitions are faster than the iPhone. Will see if they come to Sprint or Verizon, they got the beest coverage in my area.

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator
    But what about this article from BGR http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/...-probably-not/
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16

maz94protege no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    296C692F
    I'm actually excited for this for the fact I'm curious how well it will hold up on their network, how sales will be and what it will do as it effects the other carriers.

neorabid no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    neorabid
    Quote Originally Posted by MWPatterson View Post
    I like the Google Nexus One, that thing rocks. A coworker had hands on one when the Google rep was in this week and he is an apple freak and he said it was faster than his wifes iPhone 3G(S). He said it was smoother and transitions are faster than the iPhone. Will see if they come to Sprint or Verizon, they got the beest coverage in my area.
    The processor is twice as fast as the iPhone and I think the memory is comparable if not more.
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16

tavella81 no está en línea Stack level 3
    One thing I haven't seen mentioned is the use of both voice and data at the same time if the iPhone is made available on VZW. Unless VZW plans on following what Telus did in Canada and adding HSDA to their CDMA network, Apple is going to have to change their multitasking during a phone call ad. The CDMA network providers decided a while back that EVDV wasn't worth it and killed off the development. I really hope the Telus approach is the plan and VZW uses 850/1900 frequency. Doubtful since T-Mobile some how ended up with the 1700 frequency (don't recall exactly why).

Not hating on VZW/Apple/CDMA/GSM. I have a Blackberry Tour, Bold 9000, and iPhone 3GS in the house.

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    I'm guessing LTE is the network everyone will be working from.

I just don't see Apple using old tech in their next gen phone (June 2010).

Justyn no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    n/a
    @Ericaj - The data plan should be the same as their other smartphones.

@Tavella81 - Verizon had it's chance to switch to GSM, the only network which can support HSPA. It's not going to happen.

@SRL7741 - I think you hit the nail on the head. But when studying up in the 4G network Ive heard, and correct me if I'm wrong, but LTE will only work on GSM networks, that CDMA has to literally create their own technology comparable to the theoretical speeds of 100mbps and call it 4G. Technically Verizon or Sprint don't have "true" 3G because they didn't make the switch to GSM.
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7C144 Safari/528.16

WhitePearlPXL no está en línea Stack level 4
    I don't think this prep is for the iphone. It's more of a don't make an at&t network mistake.
    Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-us; T-Mobile G1 Build/DRC83) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1

ReggieSmith no está en línea Stack level 3
    I just don't Apple sending the iPhone to Verizon after all of the negative "iDont" commercials that have been leveled directly at the iPhone. Also, as mentioned by a few posters already, CDMA still doesn't allow for simultaneous voice and data, which is a big selling point for the iPhone.

I think Verizon will just have to stay put with Android phones until they deploy a GSM based network.
    ------

From time to time, you have to wonder...... What was I saying?

mobile99 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by srl7741 View Post
    I would love to see Verizon able to sell the iPhone and give current iPhone customers more options. The iPhone on the Verizon Network would certainly change how AT&T does business. I can't help but think both Verizon and AT&T customers would benefit.

What do you think? What would it do for current price plans and iPhone sales?
    Kudo's for a great post!

I could not agree more.

I believe that when Verizon begins offering the iPhone that will "take the fight" to the next level, in terms of connectivity, network quality, pricing plans and other aspects of the individual carriers perfomance.

I'm thrilled to see this coming together and feel that the real winner will be the consumer.

Justyn no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    n/a
    Quote Originally Posted by ReggieSmith View Post
    I think Verizon will just have to stay put with Android phones until they deploy a GSM based network.
    Like I said, everyone had the opportunity to switch years ago and T-Mo and AT&T were the only ones that bit. Verizon declined switching, they're not going to do it now. They've built their EV-DO network and it covers 70% more than true 3G. If they decide to switch to GSM that means data wise they'll be going backwards. They have to create new technologies to switch their data speeds to go as fast as the upcoming 4G speeds. Marketing wise they're allowed to call their network 3G, or 4G when it comes out. But technically a real 3G or 4G technology will only work on GSM networks. Yes I said it, Sprint does not have 4G. They har comparable speeds to 4G, but literally speaking it IS NOT 4G.
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7C144 Safari/528.16

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast