From TechCrunch: Apple has responded to the FCC’s request for information around its rejection of ... Apple iPhone News forum

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired

The Truth: What’s Really Going On With Apple, Google, AT&T And The FCC

Advertisement

From TechCrunch:
    Apple has responded to the FCC’s request for information around its rejection of various Google and third party iPhone applications for the iPhone.
    In short, Apple denies that they rejected the Google Voice application, but they go into great detail about how the Google Voice application hurts “the iPhone’s distinctive user experience.” All of those statements are either untrue, or misleading, or both.

The first part of Apple’s argument, that they never rejected the application, is “a total lie,” according to many sources with knowledge of the Google Voice application process.
    The second part of Apple’s argument, that the Google Voice application hurts the iPhone’s distinctive user experience, is seriously misleading. I know this because I’ve become intimately familiar with the Google Voice service and applications over the last few months. See here, here, here and here, for example. I haven’t used the Google Voice app for the iPhone specifically, because it never launched. But I have been briefed by the Google team on two separate occasions on how the app would work over the last couple of months. Also, I’ve demo’d the Blackberry version of the app, and now use the Android version of the app.

Full Story:

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    It sure is a lot of back pedaling and semantics....hopefully the FCC will not get dizzied by the spin from Apple....
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    I LOVE this! iPhone's "...how the Google Voice application hurts “the iPhone’s distinctive user experience.” Classic BS!

Is Apple losing any credibility with their users or in the general marketplace? Seems like they would if anyone's paying attention since the forecast is that Apple will (soon) have to accept the application. Maybe not. Maybe the 50,000+ applications for the i-products is enough to pacify their existing customers and keep drawing in more. After all, most people just want stuff to work when they hit the on button - they're not interested in the politics.
    Last edited by jblackfish; 08-22-2009 at 12:12 PM.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    Oddly enough most people will never know about any of the back and forth and the App Store Politics. Truth is most people would not even care about the GV App either. Your right about the "on" button and "Just work" and the easy to use UI. That's fine with me and it does not matter to me at all. I'm just glad to see those who do care not get abused by Large Companies. Someone has to look out for the consumer otherwise I would hate to think what would happen. People would not question authority if so many didn't abuse it.

My $0.02

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    ...its worth more than $.02 IMO.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

mrbrianwc no está en línea Stack level 1
    I'm glad to see people questioning Apple and AT&T. It all comes down to money. Apple and AT&T are not making money on the Google Voice app. And see the chance to loose money by allowing users to use the app. Apple and AT&T should get smacked around for being such money hungry whores.

mixoplex no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    20F3C981
    We all know its a bunch of crock. Its this simple. People will drop their text message plans. Thats it.. If 1000 peope drop their text messageing plan if they are not on the family plan that $20 per each person.That's 20 thousand dollars a month or 9990 per month for the family plan folks. Over the year that's lots of money they will lose. I believe that's the bottom line out the whole thing in my opinion. I did not read what apple's response was as of yet. But I believe its all about the Benjamins. I have no text messagin plan on Tmobile and I use google voice and I am texting up a storm. Using it on my Curve 8900 and it works great. Yay Google... Sorry APPLE/ATT but in these current times we gotta do what we can to save money, and be able to pay mortgages/school/medical and put food on the table.

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    One of the things popping up at the moment is the reminder that AT&T does have a provision in it's contract with Apple that says applications on the device are not permitted to use VOIP through AT&T's data servers, but is allowed if used only over Wi-Fi. So even though AT&T has denied having a hand in the removal of the GV app, whether direct or in-direct, they did. I agree that the response from Apple is a load of crap. As the article's author mentioned, it in no way removed any of the iPhone's functionality for SMS/calls anymore then my GMail app removes my functionality for receiving mail. I have been using the app for my BB for a while now and have never managed to 'confuse' it with the native phone's functions.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS