via New York Times, by Clair Cain Miller A recently released app that offers free ... Apple iPhone News forum

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!

A Teenager’s Dream: An iPhone App for Free Texting

Advertisement

via New York Times, by Clair Cain Miller

A recently released app that offers free text messages on the iPhone is welcome news to parents of teenagers upset over the cellphone bills of their hypertexting children. But can it be a sustainable business?

TextPlus
    TextPlus is an iPhone application that offers unlimited free text messaging from iPhones or iPod Touches and includes group text messaging. It is the first app from Gogii, a start-up backed by $5.2 million from Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers’ iFund, which invests in firms making iPhone applications.

IPhone or iPod Touch users can download the app free from the iPhone app store. Then they can send as many text messages as they want to other phones that use any carrier. TextPlus pays the text messaging bill to AT&T in exchange for showing ads to its users. (Though the iPod Touch does not have cellphone capability, textPlus users can send texts from the device over the Web and Gogii converts them and delivers them to the recipients.) (read more)
    Last edited by jblackfish; 08-25-2009 at 12:34 PM.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    Teenager nothing, this would be my dream if I actually had an iPhone. Great find JB. I would love to see more apps like this on other platforms that provided low cost or free SMS over a data connection.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

Jbee no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    3047D925
    Tried it out...I like it. Except for adds...but otherwise, no complaints.
    BlackBerry9530/4.7.0.151 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105

dymin30 no está en línea Stack level 2
    WOULD IT WORK ON IPHONE THATS UNLOCKED FOR TMOBILE?

PIN/ID
    Ask
    No reason it shouldn't. The site displays T-Mo as a supported carrier.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    How to upgrade your OS

LokBerry no está en línea Stack level 1
    But don't the recipients also have to have the program for them to receive texts?

calm_tiger no está en línea Stack level 5
    The answer to that question is yes. It's one of the cons.
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    what do you know there is not one for BB yet, oh wait there is BBM!
    THBASSMAN

Carpe Diem!!

thbassmanatpinstackdotcom

Check this out!!! Mobiletropolis

My TORCH Rocks!

PIN/ID
    Ask
    Quote Originally Posted by thbassman View Post
    what do you know there is not one for BB yet, oh wait there is BBM!
    LOL. For once iPhone is playing catchup with us.
    How to upgrade your OS

jhutton12 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    7BB5F94A
    Well we have to give credit to this apps. Companies! They are trying to help apple with this problem! I say this as someone from the outside looking in! I'm a bb curve8330 user and I know how bad it would be for me not to have text messaging or bbm to chat! I was in Vegas for a week and just arrived this morning and among the people I saw 9 of 10 had bb and only few had iphones. these was amazing to me for the simple reason that I thought everyone would revolve around the awesome iphone because it is to me! Than those people to have a blackberry! I would looked at their phones and that is what I noticed. Is my observation perfect? No! It could be that the next group of visitors to Vegas are all iphone users and not blackberries.
    BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.127 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/106

frisco49ers no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2840D481
    It only works for US carriers