via TechCrunch Hey, guys, I don’t mean to interrupt your Saturday or anything, but AT&T ... Apple iPhone News forum

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired

AT&T Responds to FCC letter re:GV Mobile App

Advertisement

via TechCrunch
    Hey, guys, I don’t mean to interrupt your Saturday or anything, but AT&T has something very important to say regarding the letter from the FCC it received.
    It is, and I quote directly from the e-mail AT&T just sent us:

AT&T does not manage or approve applications for the App Store. We have received the letter and will, of course, respond to it.

But of course. So casual, despite the fact that the FCC is breathing down its neck.
    The first sentence represents, I think, AT&T throwing Apple “under the bus,” to use that dumb cliché. A sort of, “Hey, guys, don’t get mad at us. Apple’s calling the shots here.”
    You have to assume that Apple and AT&T aren’t the best of friends right now.
    What a giant, unnecessary headache all of this is. And for what, really? A silly iPhone App? Come on.

Will Apple also respond publicly?
    Last edited by hayden; 08-02-2009 at 05:51 PM.

WhitePearlPXL no está en línea Stack level 4
    it'll be quite interesting to see what happens next in the next episode of The Forbidden Apple *dark ominous theme song*
    Opera/9.60 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.2.14427/504; U; en) Presto/2.2.0

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    ATT just trying to cover their butt!
    THBASSMAN

Carpe Diem!!

thbassmanatpinstackdotcom

Check this out!!! Mobiletropolis

My TORCH Rocks!

Dwaine12 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Good Try
    Glad I went to Verizon...wow, they're like whatever just pay your bill and you can download whatever you want...lol

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwaine12 View Post
    Glad I went to Verizon...wow, they're like whatever just pay your bill and you can download whatever you want...lol
    Well, in all honesty, Apple was only able to restrict this download because of the App Store being the only official place to get apps for the device. Verizon has no handsets with such tight reigns on the OS, so they can stomp their feet all they want, but they can't prevent you from using an app.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    Not yet anyway but soon.

http://forums.pinstack.com/f52/verizon_to_block_high_bandwidth_apps-111662/

The good news is they are letting everyone know ahead of time.

drspiff no está en línea Stack level 2
    I wish people would be more informed with this related information...Apple is responsible for everything that happens to them. Did the people know that the iphone is the ONLY phone in that is not sold in all AT&T locations...why? APPLE...Did the people know that the ONLY thing that has changed from the 2G to the 3Gs is the ability to MMS, record video and voice command? Why?...APPLE...People are mad that AT&T wont unlock mms capability on the iphone or something like that...BE MAD AT YOURSELF FOR BUYING A PHONE THAT DOESNT DO THAT ISH!!!!!!!! YOU KNEW THE STUPID PHONE COULDNT DO IT TO BEGIN WITH BUT YOU BOUGHT IT ANYWAY!! OH my it looks soooooo cool on TV! ITS called marketing and advertising!!!! Do some research before you buy and you'll walk out with a Blackberry!! A phone that does it all and with the ease of any phone on the market!!! Im sick of everybody ganging up on AT&T about this Apple BS!!
    I do what I can...

PIN/ID
    Ask
    Quote Originally Posted by srl7741 View Post
    Not yet anyway but soon.

http://forums.pinstack.com/showthread.php?t=111662

The good news is they are letting everyone know ahead of time.
    Yeah, but that's just from their new App Store. They can't restrict the devices whose apps are distributed elsewhere on the net, like Blackberries. I don't think RIM would allow them to cripple 3rd party software.

Quote Originally Posted by drspiff View Post
    I wish people would be more informed with this related information...Apple is responsible for everything that happens to them. Did the people know that the iphone is the ONLY phone in that is not sold in all AT&T locations...why? APPLE...Did the people know that the ONLY thing that has changed from the 2G to the 3Gs is the ability to MMS, record video and voice command? Why?...APPLE...People are mad that AT&T wont unlock mms capability on the iphone or something like that...BE MAD AT YOURSELF FOR BUYING A PHONE THAT DOESNT DO THAT ISH!!!!!!!! YOU KNEW THE STUPID PHONE COULDNT DO IT TO BEGIN WITH BUT YOU BOUGHT IT ANYWAY!! OH my it looks soooooo cool on TV! ITS called marketing and advertising!!!! Do some research before you buy and you'll walk out with a Blackberry!! A phone that does it all and with the ease of any phone on the market!!! Im sick of everybody ganging up on AT&T about this Apple BS!!
    There's been quite a few articles out there suggesting that AT&T may have had a hand in the entire deal and that's what has people interested. The ability to make calls virtually free using VOIP and free SMS messages have the big companies scrambling to block it, rather then adopt it and use it to their advantage. What amazes me is that all of these apps that supposedly 'mimic built-in iPhone abilities' were all approved by Apple and available for some time from the App Store, but were all suddenly yanked. It just doesn't make sense. It coincided within weeks of Google Voice launching publicly. Everyone is entitled to an opinion though.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    How to upgrade your OS

dgburns no está en línea Stack level 3
    Its quite sad a government agency can meddle in such matters. Who is the FCC to tell Apple what they can and can't sell in their store? Listen, I'm no fan of either ATT or Apple, but the FCC shouldn't be involved.
    BlackBerry9530/4.7.0.151 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105

PIN/ID
    Ask
    Well actually, the FCC isn't saying what they can and cannot sell. What they're asking is whether consumers with AT&T and using an iPhone are being unfairly prevented from using an application available to the general public because it did conflict with Apple's developer TOS, or because they were pressured to by AT&T with their own interests.
    How to upgrade your OS

johncpayne no está en línea Stack level 2
    I agree with those who say get off ATT's back. Apple is controlling the App store and pulled this app out so why is everyone jumping all over ATT. I guess when this is all said and done we will know who really was responsible for this but I am just glad I have a phone where I can chose what apps I want.

PIN/ID
    Ask
    Quote Originally Posted by johncpayne View Post
    I agree with those who say get off ATT's back. Apple is controlling the App store and pulled this app out so why is everyone jumping all over ATT. I guess when this is all said and done we will know who really was responsible for this but I am just glad I have a phone where I can chose what apps I want.
    Personally, I blame Apple in the end for making the decision to pull them. Whether AT&T had any influence over that or not, we'll probably never know 100%. The thing is, as popular as the device is, you would think Apple would have more clout then AT&T as far as determining the direction of the device and it's software. So in that light, maybe AT&T really was just a bystander in this whole mess.
    How to upgrade your OS