Wait a second, doesn't O2 have the exclusivity deal on the iPhone in the UK? ... Apple iPhone News forum

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask

T-Mobile iPhone in the UK

Advertisement

Wait a second, doesn't O2 have the exclusivity deal on the iPhone in the UK? Well, apparently there are ways around those pesky legal agreements, if you have the money. TheRegister reported today that T-Mobile has apparently found an easy way around those agreements. While it may not be able to actually carry the device in it's retail stores and online, it can apparently buy the unlocked devices and distribute them to their big spending customers who threaten to leave the company if they don't get one. According to TheRegister, "...T-Mobile has imported an unknown number of iPhone 3G handsets from a European distributor, which it will be supplying to customers paying more than Ł75 a month if they threaten to leave - the latter clause enforced by allocating the handsets through 50 agents in the retentions department, and limiting those agents to three a week each."

Rumors have been flying for quite some time that Orange and/or T-Mobile might be getting the devices in the near future, however O2 adamantly claims that their exclusivity deal is nowhere near an end and that they are still the only official carrier in the UK for the iPhone. With the FCC investigating the impact of exclusivity deals by carriers in the U.S., tactics like this really show the difference in the wireless market abroad. Think I'll call T-Mo and see if I can get me one. =-)

Full article here.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

walkiniceberg no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    21D45768
    Nice, good news for iPhone fans who don't want at&t
    BlackBerry8320/4.5.0.81 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    I don't think T-Mo would even attempt this in the U.S., but I found it quite funny that they were willing to snub their noses at O2.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

walkiniceberg no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    21D45768
    Haha yeah, don't pick on the bigger kid, but the one that's not as big as him is fair game.
    BlackBerry8320/4.5.0.81 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100