Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

TechCrunch Reports earlier today we learned that Apple had begun to pull all Google Voice-enabled ... Apple iPhone News forum

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired

Official Google Voice App Blocked From App Store

Advertisement

TechCrunch Reports earlier today we learned that Apple had begun to pull all Google Voice-enabled applications from the App Store, citing the fact that they “duplicate features that come with the iPhone”. Now comes even worse news: we’ve learned that Apple has blocked Google’s official Google Voice application itself from the App Store. In other words, Google Voice — one of the best things to happen to telephony services in a very long time — will have no presence at all on the App Store. If there’s ever been a time to be furious with Apple, now is it.

A Google Spokesperson has told us the following: Read More

PIN/ID
    Retired
    Any Carrier that comes to the table with a list of items AT$T blocks on the iPhone and guarantees these options will win Apples next carrier contract. It's time for AT$T to go.

Keep in mind you can get this app on a Blackberry on AT&T.

rant over

gorcorps no está en línea Stack level 3
    The only problem w/ the google voice apps and the like is that you were able to circumvent your cell and text usage and only use data. You can call people via your google # and it's similar to a VOIP service. I'm wondering if AT&T had pressured apple into blocking these from the app store for these reasons, as I don't see how this would help or effect apple.

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA
    ATT continually blames Apple for all these limitations. I wonder who is really to blame?

KalebsDad78 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Just Ask
    I kind of agree with AT&T's decision. I mean, this literally takes money out of their pocket for those using the app. It allows free SMS, cheap long distance, etc., and people using the free SMS can get rid of their text message package and use nothing but the Google Voice app. This may enrage a few people over the censorship of the app but it sounds like a smart business move IMO.
    New User? - Read the NEW USERS GUIDE

ganns1980 no está en línea Themes Pro
    This sucks! I'd been waiting for Google's official app to use on my itouch. That doesn't even use a carrier, just my own wifi signal! Another reason to stick with BlackBerry.
    BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.231 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100

eazid no está en línea Stack level 4
    I was just about to post this... I love my Google Voice. And my number! haha Too bad for the iphone people.
    "Who Dares Wins"

kayhites717 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!!
    Quote Originally Posted by KalebsDad78 View Post
    I kind of agree with AT&T's decision. I mean, this literally takes money out of their pocket for those using the app. It allows free SMS, cheap long distance, etc., and people using the free SMS can get rid of their text message package and use nothing but the Google Voice app. This may enrage a few people over the censorship of the app but it sounds like a smart business move IMO.
    Altho I am not berating u,How does that take money out of att's pocket? We pay a set amount every month for our service, with a set amount of minutes. We also have to pay a monthly rate for that data that google talk utilizes, so where is the loss of money? I think att is scared. And they should be. You know, what goes around comes around. And we all know apple and att are joined at the hip right now (and I am NOT knocking apple) I think what used to be an equal partnership is now turning, and apple is growing and the att shoes are getting snug, so att is putting its limitations on apple, because if they don't, apple will be overtaking att. And that is JUST MY OPINION. I have dealt directly with att concerning the whole "apple issues" and there is prolly a lot of truth to a a lot of the speculations. I think google talk is an amazing app. And its a shame that a company (not mentioning names) has been making royalties off of shady business decisions won't allow their customers to have the benefits we pay for. Tsk tsk. IMO!!!
    BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102

ventz no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    I keep saying this: ATT was crap before the iPhone and they are too stupid to realize what they have/had. A little by little they will piss off Apple to the point where the iPhone simply will not be available to ATT users. I actually can't wait for this moment so that ATT can stop with their stupid TV commercials of "ATT has twice as many smart phone users".

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    Quote Originally Posted by KalebsDad78 View Post
    From the perspective of sheer revenue, I can see your point, but in terms of future profitability through customer retention, I have to disagree. Moves like these are the reason people leave carriers. People hate feeling like they've been slighted in any form, from a company they pay money to. Companies like Vonage who popularized VOIP were a bane to the phone companies because of the loss of long distance charges and package fees for services like caller id, etc., but rather then block them, or lament over them, most of the landline carriers have adopted their own versions. Perhaps AT&T should look into another viable option to capitalize on this software. This is all of course, assuming that AT&T really is to blame, and not Apple.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

zipporic no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24B606F3
    This is why I stick with my blackberry and did away with at&t. Blackberries have had apps like this for a while now, with many different carriers - including at&t - and those carriers are doing just fine. Maybe they figure if people use the google app to talk and wifi for the data, there will be no need for them to have a carrier and they will drop them. Then they will be like the iTouch owners that use a voip app to make calls. Both companies are too proprietary for their own good, not to mention at&t wants to make you pay a separate charge for everything you do on any phone. In the end that's what will be the downfall of both companies. Once at&t no longer has the iphone no one will want to be with them and no new customers. The iphone will have it's little spot at the Smithsonian and people will move on to the next big thing.

oldgeek no está en línea Stack level 3
    I've been reading several articles about this all day from different sites and so far I haven't seen any proof that this is the work of at&t. Many sites are blaming Apple and in fact one article actually said Mr. Jobs pulled it personally. TechCrunch has an obvious at&t axe to grind so I read the article with a grain of salt. I love my GV on my blackberry with at&t. I have no problems with at&t myself. I use at&t for mobile, home phone, TV and high speed internet and I have no complaints.

PIN/ID
    Retired
    Here is an interesting Article that may also explain why it was rejected.

Link

I'm not sure I buy National Security as the reason but still a good read.

ganns1980 no está en línea Themes Pro
    Good news for those of us with jailbroken itouches or iphones - GV Mobile came up in Cydia today.
    BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.231 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100

jman77 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Glad that I got the unofficial Google Voice app early. Extremely glad now, after what has transpired. Isn't AT&T trying to monopolize everything on the iPhone to their favor? I wonder if when the AT&T exclusive agreement is over it will come back.

What I don't understand is why Apple listened to them. I know that Apple gets a part of the plan revenue but I thought it was an agreement. Plus AT&T lets the Blackberries have the application, although there is really nothing much they can do to stop that. AT&T needs the iPhone. Apple should use that as leverage in situations such as this. Apple personally approved of the app. AT&T was just sticking their head into things when it fit in their favor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast