cherrichiodo posted not long ago an App found in the App Store Link . Guess ... Apple iPhone News forum

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired

Offender Locator iPhone software exiled from App Store by Appl

cherrichiodo posted not long ago an App found in the App Store Link. Guess What? You guessed it. The App has been pulled from the App Store. If you were lucky enough to get it when it was available don't delete it.

via AppleInsider:

Offender Locator, a controversial, high-profile application that allowed users to find registered sex offenders, was removed from the App Store this week.

The software from ThinAir Wireless was priced at $0.99, and had resided among the top 10 selling applications in Apple's App Store for weeks. But according to CNet, the application was banished from the App Store for legal reasons.

While those reasons have not yet been made clear, some have speculated that it may be illegal in the state of California for anyone to profit from the sale of publicly-available criminal information. But according to a ThinAir Wireless employee, Sex Offenders Search, a competing application for $1.99, remained on sale even after Offender Locator had been pulled from the App Store.

Read More
    Last edited by srl7741; 08-07-2009 at 05:36 PM.

beeshabo no está en línea Stack level 6
    Blog Entries
    Well, if indeed it is FREE to search and find sex offender info on the net, then I agree that the app itself 'should' be free as well. Yes it's convenient to have the info at your fingertips (literally), but that doesn't mean you 'have' to pay for it..it's just a convenience. I for one, don't really care whether they charge for this app or not ($0.99 is a good price), but if it's a legal liability, then Apple is doing the right thing

neorabid no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    neorabid
    lite version is still available
    Quotes to live by:
    • Inspiration is like a lost sock. When your searching you can never find it, and when it appears, you least expect it.
    • There are no exceptions to the rule that everybody likes to be an exception to the rule.
    • Ideas are the factors that lift civilization. They create revolutions. There is more dynamite in an idea than in many bombs.
    • Realize deeply that the present moment is all you ever have.

neorabid no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    neorabid
    Back again!
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA
    Blog Entries
    yes, just noticed it wonder what happened??

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    I don't understand how wishy-washy they are....either it's legal or it's not, pull one, then pull them all, but they didn't....it's approved, pulled, wait it's back again......I'm so glad I'm not a developer!
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    An update today, seems the App is back in the Store with a few minor changes.

Read.

eazid no está en línea Stack level 4
    Lol. Ok. Weird.
    BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.77 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105

calm_tiger no está en línea Stack level 5
    Quote Originally Posted by srl7741 View Post
    An update today, seems the App is back in the Store with a few minor changes.

Read.

I had initially deleted this app but I reinstalled it again and I'm so glad I did. I think this is an amazing app. Thank g-d they changed that lame icon. I love the fact that it works with the native maps software. You can also go to your contact list and select addresses that way. I'm a correctional officer and shame on the folks who don't think this information should be known by the public. I see and supervise people of this nature everyday. IMO also there alot of folks knocking this app who have never even tried it........I've rambled enough
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16