Too late now: Apple Inc. says it has fixed the iPhone vulnerability that lets hackers ... Apple iPhone News forum

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

No mass exploitation of iPhone SMS exploit. How "vulnerable" was it really?

Advertisement

Too late now: Apple Inc. says it has fixed the iPhone vulnerability that lets hackers knock people offline — and possibly take over the phones — by sending them specially crafted text messages.

Apple says it issued a software fix Friday after the vulnerability was exposed this week at the Black Hat security conference in Las Vegas.

Similar weaknesses were found in phones running Google Inc.'s Android and Microsoft Corp.'s Windows Mobile operating systems. The Android problem has been fixed, and Microsoft is investigating the vulnerability reported in its software.

Cupertino, Calif.-based Apple says users will be prompted to download the fix when they plug their iPhones into their computers.

via Yahoo!

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    I've often wondered, Who benefits from all this? More importantly, How?

Virus alert vs virus software company's profits. We are forced to go round and round and follow not really knowing.
    I don't doubt the threats or viruses, I just question who profits?

calm_tiger no está en línea Stack level 5
    What are/were the odds really, of being singled out and having my device penetreted through an SMS exploit? It is great, however, that the threat was leaked and nipped in the bud. I jailbroke my 3GS with purplera1n and the results were really smooth. I've read about this not being a problem if you jailbroke your iphone with redsnow and or unlocked it with ultrasnow. I haven't been over to the purplera1n site yet to look for info on this subject yet. I just know in the past I have had terrible results with redsnow and just don't trust it any further than I could throw an elephant.

RemyKirin no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask me
    From what I read, Apple was informed by the same people that told them again at the black hat security conf that they had that security leak, and that apple refused to acknowledge that there was a problem, I suppose a lil public exposure of their "problem" was all thats needed to lite a fire so to speak under apple.
    ----
    "If you aren't remembered, then you never existed." – Arisu

"I'm watching a dream I'll never wake up from.." - Spike Spiegel

calm_tiger no está en línea Stack level 5
    Just read a statement that George Hotz made: "George Hotz said you can forget using purplesn0w as it will not work. You may be wondering why not? The answer is he doesn’t know". Since purplera1n is the only jailbreak software that has ever ran without a hicup for me and I don't trust redsn0w I'll be rolling the dice and sticking to the OS I have right now on my 3Gs until Mr. Hotz comes up with his own jailbreak for 3.0.1.........

http://www.theiphoneblog.com/2009/08...lbreak-update/
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16