Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Looking over the top 10 paid iPhone apps list today, the list appeared pretty typical: ... Apple iPhone News forum

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

The iPhone's Latest Hit App: A Sex Offender Locator

Advertisement

Looking over the top 10 paid iPhone apps list today, the list appeared pretty typical: A bunch of games, a camera app, etc. Then I noticed one called Offender Locator, mostly because it has a creepy icon. I figured it was a game it's anything but. It's an app to show you registered sex offenders living around you.

While all 50 states require that sexual offenders register themselves, and allow anyone to access the information online, most people never look at it. That's why it's surprising that this app is a top seller especially considering that it's not free (it's $0.99). Certainly, it's good to be aware of these people living around you especially if they have committed acts against children, and you have children but it's interesting that it's the iPhone that is making such information "popular."

read more

*Editors Note* There is a free "lite" verison of Offender Locator (not sure of the differences)

steve2039 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    30760CA8
    Thats pretty cool.....looks like where thats at though the screenshot has herpes...

PIN/ID
    ATA
    what i find hilarious is that its an iphone app that uses microsoft virtual earth? notice the MS copyright logo at the bottom?

steve2039 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    30760CA8
    haha....very nice

calm_tiger no está en línea Stack level 5
    Outstanding....correctional officer who loves to keep up with this type of info and great if you have children.
    BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.231 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102

planneau no está en línea Stack level 5
    You know this app is handy but there is one thing everyone is forgetting. This system is updated through the state sex offender monitoring data base. Now if your state fails to keep up on the sex offenders like mine does; that app is useless. So don't put your 100% trust on that app.
    ..........SHAKE N BAKE..........

dgburns no está en línea Stack level 3
    Sure wish the dev would put out a BlackBerry version!
    BlackBerry9530/4.7.0.151 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105

smooth10 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    21CB9337
    Quote Originally Posted by cherrichiodo View Post
    what i find hilarious is that its an iphone app that uses microsoft virtual earth? notice the MS copyright logo at the bottom?
    Very hilarious by the way lol

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    Neat little app. Agree with Planneu though that if your state doesn't monitor/record this information properly, it's not a huge help. Could be a nice find when you're house hunting or picking a hotel to stay at to scope out the area.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    Quote Originally Posted by cherrichiodo View Post

Thats great, Cherri. Anything like the for BB?
    THBASSMAN

Carpe Diem!!

thbassmanatpinstackdotcom

Check this out!!! Mobiletropolis

My TORCH Rocks!

wheelz no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    ask4pin
    Quote Originally Posted by planneau View Post
    You know this app is handy but there is one thing everyone is forgetting. This system is updated through the state sex offender monitoring data base. Now if your state fails to keep up on the sex offenders like mine does; that app is useless. So don't put your 100% trust on that app.
    No its not 100% accurate but it will give you an idea of where there supposed to be and make you aware. You would be suprised at how many are around you. Another way this app could be used is if your house shopping and want to check out the area throughly. If I would have had this app avaiable to me when I was looking for my first house I wouldn't have bought that house. Great app thanks cherri.
    BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.160 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105

kpunx no está en línea Stack level 1

There Is!

Quote Originally Posted by dgburns View Post
    Sure wish the dev would put out a BlackBerry version!
    BlackBerry9530/4.7.0.151 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105
    We are! The BB app is in its final stages of development and we expect to release within the month (probably sooner!)

oldgeek no está en línea Stack level 3
    Until the BB version is released use this link in your blackberry or your desktop.

http://www.familywatchdog.us

It detects your blackberry and will present you with the mobile version of the site.

PIN/ID
    ATA
    Quote Originally Posted by kpunx View Post
    We are! The BB app is in its final stages of development and we expect to release within the month (probably sooner!)
    are you the developer of this app or another one for the blackberry?

MR. H no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    301a4489
    Damn where they live must be right in the heart of offender ville. That one little green dot surrounded by all those red offenders.
    BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.131 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast