The nation’s cellphone networks could suffer “potentially catastrophic” cyberattacks by iPhone-wielding hackers at home and ... Apple iPhone News forum

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired

iPhone Jailbreaking Could Crash Cellphone Towers, Apple Claims

Advertisement

The nation’s cellphone networks could suffer “potentially catastrophic” cyberattacks by iPhone-wielding hackers at home and abroad if iPhone owners are permitted to legally jailbreak their shiny wireless devices — that’s what Apple claims.

The Copyright Office is considering a request by the Electronic Frontier Foundation to legalize the widespread practice of jailbreaking, in which iPhone owners hack their devices to accept software that hasn’t been approved for distribution through the iPhone App Store. Apple made the claim in comments filed last week (.pdf) with the agency.

The company’s filing explained that jailbreaking could allow hackers to altering the iPhone’s BBP — the “baseband processor” software, which enables a connection to cell phone towers.

By tinkering with this code, “a local or international hacker could potentially initiate commands (such as a denial of service attack) that could crash the tower software, rendering the tower entirely inoperable to process calls or transmit data,” Apple wrote the government. “Taking control of the BBP software would be much the equivalent of getting inside the firewall of a corporate computer — to potentially catastrophic result.

“The technological protection measures were designed into the iPhone precisely to prevent these kinds of pernicious activities, and if granted, the jailbreaking exemption would open the door to them,” Apple added.

Read More

Is this why Google Voice was Rejected by Apple's App Store? Your Opinions below.

beeshabo no está en línea Stack level 6
    Hmmm.
    If this were possible, I think it would've happened by now! But maybe not, or is it even possible?

And since when is 'Jailbreaking' illegal? After all, it is YOUR device that YOU paid for with YOUR $$

iquanyin no está en línea Stack level 1

yes, jailbreaking is legal

apple, give it up! no one's crashed any cel towers, and making jailbreaking illegal wouldn't prevent that anyway. besides, how would that be enforced? all tmobile customers w/iphones go to jail? you must present your iphone for examination yearly to...the cops? att? apple? this is sooooooo silly and transparent. (and good note about google voice! it's coming free to cydia today. see? that's what they're really afraid of. competition.

iquanyin no está en línea Stack level 1
    also: um, pinwhatever site: can you make the comment process a bit simpler for those who connect with facebook? when i do that, it's in leiu of actually joining (at least at that moment). no, i don't want to post this story to my wall (or if i do, i have a share button on my browser), no i don't want to set up a profile right now. can you just bring me back to the comments like most sites do? obviously i'm here and i see your site. if i like it i'll bookmark it and join when i have more time.

jman77 no está en línea Stack level 1
    I am confused about google voice because there is an app for that in the app store. Just not by Google. And I don't buy the whole crashing towers excuse. If that kind of hacking was possible, then odds are we would have seen it by now. Or maybe this was the first time the idea was spread. Now we might see it because hackers now think it could be possible. Good job Apple . No matter what Apple does, people will jailbreak anyway. I know I will. I haven't gotten around to hacking 3.0 for my iPod touch 1st Gen. It is on my long list of things to do.

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    Seeing comments like this from these major companies makes me wonder if anyone in the higherups is actually reading these press releases or announcements prior to them being disseminated. I seriously believe that were this possible, as easily as they say it is, then we would have seen it by now. If it really is this simple, then the problem is not in the devices, but the towers themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by jman77 View Post
    I am confused about google voice because there is an app for that in the app store. Just not by Google. And I don't buy the whole crashing towers excuse. If that kind of hacking was possible, then odds are we would have seen it by now. Or maybe this was the first time the idea was spread. Now we might see it because hackers now think it could be possible. Good job Apple . No matter what Apple does, people will jailbreak anyway. I know I will. I haven't gotten around to hacking 3.0 for my iPod touch 1st Gen. It is on my long list of things to do.
    Apple announced today that they were pulling all applications that utilize the GV app or system.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

JaidedFocus no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    262A279E
    Now is it Apple that is responsible for stuff like this or is it AT&T? It would seem like this is an AT&T tactic to ensure that their users do not stray far from what they have to offer. Just wondering...
    My Focus may become Jaided but never my determination...

jhutton12 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    7BB5F94A
    Att still plays like the big monopoly it used to be! Some corps do not learn! Oic.
    BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.127 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/106