AT&T CEO Randall Stephenson says the exclusive deal for the iPhone has been a rainmaker ... Apple iPhone News forum

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

iPhone: Exclusive AT&T Ride May Be Ending

Advertisement

AT&T CEO Randall Stephenson says the exclusive deal for the iPhone has been a rainmaker for the nation's No. 2 carrier but it can't last forever. Waiting in the wings is Verizon.

CEO Randall Stephenson admitted July 23 that AT&T's partnership with Apple as the exclusive provider of the iPhone will inevitably end and network quality will ultimately be the differentiator for wireless carriers. AT&T's deal with Apple—originally signed in 2007—is rumored to end next year.

AT&T added nearly 7 million subscribers in 2008, many of them seeking the sleek, touch-screen iPhone and poached from rival carriers Verizon, Sprint and T-Mobile. For the second quarter alone, AT&T added 1.2 million new subscribers. Approximately 1.2 million of the new users signed up for a subsidized iPhone and a two-year contract.

read more

steve2039 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    30760CA8
    YAYYYY!!! Great phone, just sucks its on a crappy network....but in reality, i dont expect apple to drop the gsm route for cdma anytime soon....although it would be nice...

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    Well, ATT needed something to keep them in contest
    THBASSMAN

Carpe Diem!!

thbassmanatpinstackdotcom

Check this out!!! Mobiletropolis

My TORCH Rocks!

ventz no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    steve2039 -- completely agree! I also don't see them making a CDMA version (also, cdma uses more power), but they might soon be required too. New law is currently on it's way that will require each phone maker to create both a gsm + cdma device and make the device available for all major (now what qualifies as major is fuzzy, but should be T-Mobile, ATT, Verizon, Sprint) carriers in the US.

Dirty Cash no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    3G
    I was in the AT&T store yesterday "being poached" to buy an iPhone and the sales rep was saying that AT&T has extended their exclusivity for the iPhone until 2011. Not sure how correct that is or if it's just the "standard pitch" used by their sales force, but I don't see it lasting much longer either. But, with the ability to port your number from carrier to carrier, it won't make a difference to me, I'll switch to the better carrier or which suites my needs!

PIN/ID
    30760CA8
    Quote Originally Posted by UH8ME View Post
    I was in the AT&T store yesterday "being poached" to buy an iPhone and the sales rep was saying that AT&T has extended their exclusivity for the iPhone until 2011. Not sure how correct that is or if it's just the "standard pitch" used by their sales force, but I don't see it lasting much longer either. But, with the ability to port your number from carrier to carrier, it won't make a difference to me, I'll switch to the better carrier or which suites my needs!
    due to how their comm structure is, iphones make their reps the best money.

Their managers rip you a new one if its not offered to every customer....85 year old lady can come in and say "i want prepaid so i can leave it in my glovebox in case of a wreck" and if you dont say "how about $70 a month to put you in an iphone..." you hear about it when they leave....

Gotta love them....

ventz no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    That and I really doubt that the lowest pay guy has insight. if that was the case, there would be over 10,000 new posts on engaget

PIN/ID
    30760CA8
    Quote Originally Posted by ventz View Post
    That and I really doubt that the lowest pay guy has insight. if that was the case, there would be over 10,000 new posts on engaget

agreed. I recieved a nice two week vacation courtest of sending an unflagged internal email for the original 3G release date so im sure if people were leaking that info, asset protection would be on them like white on rice