It pays off to be on Twitter, ay? Not long ago, mashable.com tweeted that iPhone ... Apple iPhone News forum
iPhone 3.0 Released!
It pays off to be on Twitter, ay? Not long ago, mashable.com tweeted that iPhone 3.0 was NOW AVAILABLE!
mashable.com: Last week, during Apple’s Worldwide Developer’s Conference (WWDC), we learned of the day when the iPhone 3.0 Operating System would be available for iPhones everywhere: June 17th. Well, if you take a look at your calendar, that day has arrived, and soon Apple phone owners will be buzzing about push notifications or their newfound ability to cut, copy and paste.
While you may know many of the features that are coming out with the iPhone 3.0 update, you probably don’t know them all, and you may not even know where to download the software. This short guide provides a quick overview of the iPhone 3.0 software, what to expect, and what’s upcoming in terms of applications and the iPhone 3G S.
Apple releases iPhone Software 3.0
Apple on Wednesday afternoon formally rolled out iPhone Software 3.0 for existing iPhone and iPod touch customers, delivering some long-requested features such as copy & paste.
In total, iPhone Software 3.0 delivers over 100 new features when compared to the previous version (2.2.1). Some of the more prominent enhancements include:
- Cut, Copy & Paste: Quickly cut, copy, and paste text from application to application. Select entire blocks of web text with a tap. Copy and paste images from the web, too.
- Landscape Keyboard: Rotate iPhone to landscape to use a larger keyboard in Mail, Messages, Notes, and Safari.
- MMS: Send MMS messages and include video, photos, audio, and contact info. Even tap to snap a picture or shoot a video right inside Messages. MMS support for U.S.-based AT&T customers won't be available until late summer.
- Spotlight Search: Find what you’re looking for across your iPhone, all from one place. Spotlight searches all of your contacts, email, calendars, and notes, as well as everything in your iPod.
- Voice Memos: Capture a memo, a meeting, or any audio recording on the go. Voice Memos works with the built-in iPhone microphone or with the mic on your headset.
- Improved Calendar: Create meetings via Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync and subscribe to calendars with new CalDAV support.
- Buy Movies, TV Shows, and Audiobooks: Download movies, TV shows, music videos, and audiobooks from the iTunes Store on your iPhone.
- Safari Improvements: Enjoy faster performance, autofill user names and passwords, and more.
- Internet Tethering: Share your Internet connection with your laptop with Internet tethering via Bluetooth or USB. Tethering is not currently offered in the U.S. and some other countries.
- Stereo Bluetooth: Connect compatible Bluetooth stereo headphones, car kits, or other accessories.
- Automatic Wi-Fi Login: Log in to a Wi-Fi hotspot and iPhone automatically logs you in when you connect again.
- Sync Notes: Never leave a note behind. Now you can sync all the notes you write on your iPhone back to your Mac or PC.
- Parental Controls: Decide what music, videos, and apps your kids can access.
- iTunes Store Account: Create and log in to one or more iTunes Store accounts directly from your iPhone.
- YouTube Login: Log in to your YouTube account to save and sync bookmarks and rate favorites.
- Shake to Shuffle: Give iPhone a shake and it shuffles to a different song in your music library.
- New Languages: iPhone supports 30 languages and more than 40 keyboard layouts.
- MobileMe Find My iPhone and Remote Wipe: Find your iPhone if you lose it and protect your privacy with Remote Wipe.
- Run the Latest Apps: Run the next generation of iPhone apps, like peer-to-peer games and more.
MMS not enabled yet on the 3.0?? What in the fux name?? How they gone release that upgrade and the 3GS model and not turn on the MMS capability yet though it's slated to work on there? May have to slap someone in ATT AND Apple's engineering with my Blackberry for working with half of their brain cells in their heads.
The new features of v3.0 are really nice. C&P works great. I'm sure it will make many happy.
OMG... I was about to update my iTouch and found out you have to pay for it ???? Thought this was a free update
what is the price of the update on the Iphone ??
Is anybody else have issues with this update. Phone's not doing sh^& and its pissing me off. Updated the phone and once it was finished, all it shows now is Itunes logo with the usb port. Phone will not find service provider or nothing. Just shows the slide bar (slide for emergency) and cant get on my phone.
Phone was never Jailbroken or unlocked. Just regular Iphone 3g
Everytime I hook my phone up to itunes, the device keeps trying to connect to the itunes store but want connect. Keeps telling me no network yet Im already logged into the store.
Last edited by Jayrule; 06-17-2009 at 03:05 PM.
iPhone is Free
Originally Posted by darryl71
iPod Touch is $9.99
pretty sweet. Thanks for the update.
Originally Posted by srl7741
Thanks for the info !
I just read that with all the downloads, it killed Apple's activation servers and that they are working as fast as they can to get them back up. Hope that's the issue you are having.
Originally Posted by Jayrule
Thanks Moto, had to call Apple on that one and had to do a hard factory reset. Lost all my apps pics and all except my contacts. After the restore completed, I had 3.0 but have to go and put everything I had back on the phone. Plus the apps I purchased..
I've been playing around the "Find my iPhone" feature in MobileMe. It's a neat feature and seems to work pretty well. It's easy to use too.
My battery life seems to be much better also. I've had the new OS for a week now and I can tell a difference in battery usage.
All I really wanted was C&P, so I'm a happy camper again. I use that often.
Last edited by srl7741; 06-17-2009 at 06:28 PM.
Reason: Spelling errors
mine did the same- just keep on trying to update it. I think the apple server is just bogged down. Mine worked after a couple of tries.
Originally Posted by Jayrule
~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~
I'm glad to hear your feedback. We are still leaning toward getting the 3gS in 30 days or so when the heat is off..somewhat.
Originally Posted by srl7741
Are there any features from the 3g vs 3gS that you found particularly compelling?
B/c we'd like to purchase the 3g if its good enough on its own, if not then we'll just spend the extra dough and get the 3gS.
Tags for this Thread