With all the email outage talk over the past few weeks and again today . ... Apple iPhone News forum

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

What happens if PUSH email on iPhone Fails? Email outage? No. Here's why

Advertisement

With all the email outage talk over the past few weeks and again today. It had me wondering what would happen if the PUSH email/data services on iPhone for whatever reason were to fail, would users be left without email? The answer is NO. Here's why...

After a call with some someone at Apple they were able to have a little discussion, then call me back to confirm my suspicion. My question was:

"Can you confirm that based on the "Fetch New Data" settings page (screenshot on the left) it would seem that if "PUSH" service fails then email service would automatically fallback to "Fetch" every x minutes?"

The answer was YES. So, if you do have PUSH setup on your iPhone with a Gmail, Yahoo or other PUSH supported email accounts, you can be rest assured that for there to be an outage it would most likely have to be on your email provider's end or AT&T's network.

With that said there's no such thing as 100% up time. So no matter your smartphone solution there will always be some service that will have issues. However, 98 - 99.x percent uptime over a period of one year would be a realistic expectation.

PIN/ID
    Apple
    Sad fact for BB.
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    On the Droid, there are two ways of getting email notifications on your device that come pre-installed. The gmail app is push and is usually pretty much instant and then there's an email app for adding whatever accounts you wish such as MSN. For the gmail app there is no scheduled fetch option, but in the email app you set it to fetch as seen in the screen shot. There is an option in the gmail app to refresh but I have never needed it. I suppose you could set up your gmail accounts through the email app as well if there was an issue with push using the gmail app.....so far I have not had any issues though.

Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

MotoUp no está en línea BES Pro
    Just curious here....so if 98-99 % uptime is acceptable, then why is everyone complaining about the few outages with Rim recently. I guaranty there is no way we've had a grand total of 5 days outage this last year, which would put it at 98.6 uptime? Not intending to start a debate here, but just curious....

Antgod no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2148A220
    Its easier to complain and say everything sucks but what I have,therefore I'm smart and better than everyone else, take that bb !sounds like a lot of these threads lately

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask
    Extactly my point at the end of post motoup. Thx
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16

MotoUp no está en línea BES Pro
    I looked for stats but couldn't find any. I venture a guess of 48 hours or less over the past year. Anyone know for sure?

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    I've been reading about the RIM outages etc and now this as well. My question and doubt is this: how come in Europe there has been nothing of the sort, all e-mail is functioning normally, and why ?

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    I think that for many BB users this is just that one little thing that's pushing them over the edge. I'm not a BB hater, or an android fanboy(fangirl ). There will always be something new and something better. Every carrier will have outages, every platform will have issues. But like it or not, RIM has some issues that need to be fixed and things that need to be brought up to current expectations as far as browser, memory issues, general OS overhaul that needs to be addressed. Then when their biggest strength, email, becomes nonfunctional twice in recent days it raises eyebrows. I didn't leave my BB because of BIS outages, a long string of other issues forced the change and I'm glad to have my Droid now.

@antgod the point of threads like this is not to bash a platform or brag that anyone is smarter or better for having something else. It is to inform users of options and choices. If everyone blindly stuck with the platform they are using now, then companies like RIM have no reason to improve their products.
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    I love threads that put things into perspective like this one.

Nice, very nice and all true from where I set.

RedNightHawk no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by MotoUp View Post
    ...why is everyone complaining about the few outages with Rim recently...
    Hey, there's a reason they call it a crackberry. More and more people expect to be connected 24/7.

Aside from that, before the latest and longer outage, the previous outage had provoked me to ask an acquaintance if it had just been my imagination or if RIM was having more and more outages recently. I don't know if it's just that they get reported better nowadays, but I do seem to hear about more of them now as compared to a couple of years ago. If it is the case it makes me wonder if it's due to growth or other issues.

98-99% uptime doesn't seem bad, but nowadays people will start getting impatient if they have to wait for a page to load for more than a second. If RIM does succeed in pushing cloud based services for applications or encouraging more push applications any downtime will become more of an issue since people don't like being unable to play with their toys, or use the tools they pay for.

Personally, I didn't mind the outage since I make it a point NOT to be available 24/7.

Merry Xmas, y'all.