All the reports lately of security on mobile devices has sparked consumer interest in hardening ... Apple iPhone News forum

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro

First iPhone Phishing SMS Scam

All the reports lately of security on mobile devices has sparked consumer interest in hardening their devices and even anti-virus programs. However, it seems the first phishing SMS scam has been conducted on jail-broken iPhone devices.

via Cnet: "A hacker in the Netherlands broke into some jailbroken iPhones and sent text messages to the owners asking them to pay to find out how to secure their phones, according to postings in a Dutch forum called

One of the victims posted a screenshot from his iPhone of the SMS received. It said: "Your iPhone's been hacked because it's really insecure! Please visit and secure your iPhone right now! Right now, I can access all your files."

Ars Technica reports that before the page was removed, it asked that victims send 5 euros ($7.36) to a PayPal account and then await an e-mail with instructions on how to secure the phone. The fix probably would involve restoring the factory settings, according to the Ars Technica post.

Apparently, the hacker used port scanning to identify phones on the T-Mobile network in the Netherlands running SSH (Secure Shell network protocol), which is commonly used by jailbroken iPhones and allows a user to "log in via Terminal and run standard UNIX commands," according to Ars Technica."

Check out the full article here.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    Wasn't there an application out there that one could hack into another iphone and use the phone to make calls from that user's account? I recall my cousin who owns a new iphone telling me this. Am I right? That sucks though for those jailbroken iphone users
    What's the matter? CIA's got you pushing too many pencils?

hawkins no está en línea Stack level 2
    Ask me.
    If someone could hack into your phone would they send you a warning?