Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

WSJ: WASHINGTON (Dow Jones)--The Federal Communications Commission has launched an inquiry to AT&T Inc. (T) ... Apple iPhone News forum

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired

FCC Looking Into AT&T Rejection Of Google Voice App

Advertisement

WSJ: WASHINGTON (Dow Jones)--The Federal Communications Commission has launched an inquiry to AT&T Inc. (T) and Apple Inc. (AAPL) over the rejection of Google Inc.'s (GOOG) voice application for the popular iPhone, another sign of the Obama administration's stepped up scrutiny of competitive practices in the technology industry.

In letters sent late Friday to the three companies, the FCC asked why Apple rejected the Google Voice application for the iPhone and removed related

Subscription required to read more.

Is this a good thing or a bad thing? Your thoughts below:

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    Techcrunch has the letters listed here. I was posting the same article a few minutes ago. You beat me to it. The letters ask some questions that will definitely put either Apple or AT&T on front-street in regards to this.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    Well I think since so many platforms and carriers are allowing it, then it warrants some investigation. Will be interesting to see how it plays out. If they get away with it then other carriers may follow suit...but how far do we want govt to go? Not sure what the best answer would be...
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

PIN/ID
    Retired
    I have mixed feelings also on this one. Our G couldn't find their way out of an open sack and can mess up a wet dream however I do want someone other than AT$T to rely on to "Do The Right Thing". So I'm not sure? I do want to know more and I hope we/consumer are not getting taken advantage of.

PIN/ID
    Ask
    That's where I feel government should step in. When the big companies start these assinine moves that hinder the consumer, because they can.
    BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.231 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100

johnb51780 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Could it be that at@t and apple now see google there direct compition since android is gaining respect,because they also rejected latitude,I just don't understand why they all of the sudden started pushing google out
    BlackBerry8320/4.5.0.81 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100

PIN/ID
    Retired
    That's a good question? Refresh my memory, is GV available for the BB on AT$T? What other devices can use the App currently? So much has been going on this week I forget exactly.

I heard they have a online app for it on the iphone,not sure about the bb though,this is the reason I don't deal with apple they are control freaks

zipporic no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24B606F3
    Quote Originally Posted by srl7741 View Post
    That's a good question? Refresh my memory, is GV available for the BB on AT$T? What other devices can use the App currently? So much has been going on this week I forget exactly.
    Yes so far as I know it's available on the BB side of at&t. Even if google is in competition with apple because of android, why isn't BB rejecting the app also? Just as much of a competitor as the iPhone, they are the 'big three' when it comes to smart phones and no other carrier blocked it. That's what leads me to believe that the app being blocked is a solo move from at&t.

I'm all for uncle sam getting involved in this, enough is enough from at&t and the iPhone. Starting to smell too much like oil monopolies from a century ago and microsoft from a decade ago that the gov. had to intervene in.
    Last edited by zipporic; 08-01-2009 at 04:10 AM. Reason: edit text
    Who told you, you could eat my cookies? Put that cookie down!... Now!
    Courtesy of the Govenator

PIN/ID
    Ask
    Quote Originally Posted by srl7741 View Post
    Yes, the Bold app is still out there because techincally, AT&T cannot stop the app from being used since the Bold is offered on other carriers. Plus the only official place to get the iPhone app was from the App Store and the app is offered for other devices straight from Google. The reason they had the ability to influence the iPhone version is them being the exclusive carrier for the device. There are even a few homebrew apps out there for the Pre.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    How to upgrade your OS

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    Somebody needs to do something to keep the big boys in line!
    THBASSMAN

Carpe Diem!!

thbassmanatpinstackdotcom

Check this out!!! Mobiletropolis

My TORCH Rocks!

OzzieDog no está en línea Stack level 3
    Could it be that when AT&T releases their supposed version of .285 or whatever it will limit the user from what is installed on the Bold? I think that AT&T and Apple have laid in bed so long together that they think they can do whatever they want and know body can tell them what to do. And like someone said earlier the government can't find it way out of a paper bag even if you showed them the way. But, someone has to take care of the consumer. My two cents only and with the way things are today you know how much that's worth.

PIN/ID
    Ask
    Quote Originally Posted by OzzieDog View Post
    Could it be that when AT&T releases their supposed version of .285 or whatever it will limit the user from what is installed on the Bold? I think that AT&T and Apple have laid in bed so long together that they think they can do whatever they want and know body can tell them what to do. And like someone said earlier the government can't find it way out of a paper bag even if you showed them the way. But, someone has to take care of the consumer. My two cents only and with the way things are today you know how much that's worth.
    No, I don't foresee that happening. For one, I don't believe RIM would allow them to. Much in the same way they released the patch to stop the spyware in the carrier release over in the middle east. Secondly, users would simply use OS' from another carrier, if AT&T found a way to do this.
    How to upgrade your OS

PIN/ID
    Retired
    Here is another intersting article on the topic. The Questions being asked are some pretty good ones and I can't wait for the answers to be posted.

Link -Washington Post

I totally agree with the idea of "dumb pipes" I also know AT$T does not consider the iPhone as a phone but rather a mobile computer. They have said that for some time now. So this begs the question IF it's a mobile computer like a laptop why are the cell providers allowed to hold us to contracts and all the other restrictions. Wouldn't it be no different than are cable providers we use in our homes for broadband internet? We are free to chose who we want and there is no contract required. We can switch at anytime for any reason. They are nothing but a gateway to the web. We can also use any device we want. PC, Mac etc.

Last edited by srl7741; 08-01-2009 at 04:33 PM.

You make a good point,but if they did that they couldn't own us and be the dictators that some carriers tend to be,that would make to much sense

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast