Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How many times have you ever dropped your device, left it in the sun by ... Apple iPhone News forum

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask

Apple to Include Abuse Detection Sensors in Devices

Advertisement

How many times have you ever dropped your device, left it in the sun by accident, or dropped it in water? Then took it into the store and told the rep it "just quit working" in hopes of getting a replacement. Well, according to Apple it plans to cut down on consumer warranty fraud a bit more aggressively. AppleInsider reported today that a new patent application disclosure from Apple titled, "Consumer Abuse Detection System and Method," details plans by Apple to include new sensors in it's devices that will "recognize a number of incident types, with liquid and thermal sensors detecting the elements, a shock sensor for drops, and a continuity sensor to detect tampering with the device."

Full article here.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    A "Black Box" for our personal devices. Sooner of later we all knew it would come. Remember when they began putting those sensor tags on cloths? (Oh I probably just dated myself)

johnb51780 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Can we please get something positive from apple they are wearing me down with there bs
    BlackBerry8320/4.5.0.81 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100

OzzieDog no está en línea Stack level 3
    One more reason not to buy the iPhone. Way to many restrictions, and you can't get insurance on it from AT&T.

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask
    Hmmm.. One of those patents that I think Apple may only be able to deliver in custom units for large companies, the gov, etc to keep track of employee usage of equipment. I hope/doubt this will make it to our units.

It def' good technology to patent.

Dwaine12 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Good Try
    I agree with you Ozzie, "1 more reason NOT to get a Iphone...and i just left Att for Verizon and they love the ideal of Google Voice,
    All Hail Blackberry...lol

PIN/ID
    Ask
    Quote Originally Posted by hayden View Post
    Hmmm.. One of those patents that I think Apple may only be able to deliver in custom units for large companies, the gov, etc to keep track of employee usage of equipment. I hope/doubt this will make it to our units.

It def' good technology to patent.
    Dunno Hayden. In the article, it quotes from the patent saying, "Consumer" when referring to the damage being inflicted and then trying to return the device. It also mentions "...personnel at the point of sale may often times exchange the returned product with a working replacement product regardless of the cause of failure in order to avoid potential conflicts with the customer."
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

PIN/ID
    ask
    Quote Originally Posted by MStrawder View Post
    Dunno Hayden. In the article, it quotes from the patent saying, "Consumer" when referring to the damage being inflicted and then trying to return the device. It also mentions "...personnel at the point of sale may often times exchange the returned product with a working replacement product regardless of the cause of failure in order to avoid potential conflicts with the customer."
    Yes "but". I'll revisit this thread in the future

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    Next thing you know, you're gonna drop your phone, it's gonna transmit details to apple and you're gonna get a pop-up message on your phone saying don't bother bringing it back...we know you're a klutz!
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

PIN/ID
    ask
    Quote Originally Posted by azstar View Post
    Next thing you know, you're gonna drop your phone, it's gonna transmit details to apple and you're gonna get a pop-up message on your phone saying don't bother bringing it back...we know you're a klutz!
    rofl!

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT

LOL, Thats priceless Azstar!!!!

ROTFL
    THBASSMAN

Carpe Diem!!

thbassmanatpinstackdotcom

Check this out!!! Mobiletropolis

My TORCH Rocks!

PIN/ID
    Ask
    Question on my mind at the moment, does Jailbreaking the device violate the warranty? If so, how long before a sensor detects that and let's Apple know?
    BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.231 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100

RedNightHawk no está en línea Stack level 3
    Maybe they'll just institute an agility test before selling people the phone (something other than juggling multiple units in the rain).

All kidding aside I don't have an issue with most of it. I strongly believe companies should be responsible for producing good products and stand behind their products if they fail. The flip side of that is consumers have a responsibility to take care of the equipment and not make companies pay for their carelessness or misfortune.

The continuity sensor part is interesting. I would assume that would be tripped if someone swapped out a case, or screen. I don't know if I'd lump in repairs with abuse, but then again if they're going to take it back it would be nice to know no one opened it up and removed parts or swapped bad parts for good parts.

The thermal sensor could be a plus - if the phone is too hot it sounds like it'll turn it off to prevent overheating/fires. The liquid sensor may well work the same way, which would be a good thing - a lot of times the liquid doesn't damage it so much as the short circuits that happen since electrical current is still flowing through the system. That said, it would be annoying to have to go to the store to have it started up again everytime the sensors shut it off.

I wonder if any consumers are patenting devices that will monitor businesses and let us know if they're taking advantage of or cheating us...

Probably not worth it, it would be going off all the time.

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    I don't need my phone to rat me out. Booooooooooo! i'm sticking with my bb thank you very much...It does what I want it to do how I want it to do and if I decide to drop it off the roof of the Empire State Building it won't go crying to RIM.
    What's the matter? CIA's got you pushing too many pencils?

PIN/ID
    Ask
    Quote Originally Posted by raton View Post
    I don't need my phone to rat me out. Booooooooooo! i'm sticking with my bb thank you very much...It does what I want it to do how I want it to do and if I decide to drop it off the roof of the Empire State Building it won't go crying to RIM.
    LOL, but YOU'D be crying a lot.
    BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.231 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast