via CNet : For at least the third time this month, Apple and AT&T are ... Apple iPhone News forum

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired

Apple, AT&T face yet another iPhone MMS lawsuit

Advertisement

via CNet:
    For at least the third time this month, Apple and AT&T are being sued by a consumer complaining of being duped into believing that multimedia messaging, or MMS, was already available on the iPhone.
    Filed in the Northern District of Ohio on Wednesday (PDF hosted by Wired), plaintiff Deborah Carr says Apple and AT&T misled the public into believing that the iPhone 3GS was capable of sending and receiving MMS messages on the device. The lawsuit claims that Apple's "print and video advertisements...on television, the Internet, the radio, newspapers, and direct mailers" all mention the availability of MMS on the device.
    Two similar cases--one in Illinois and another in Louisiana--were also filed against the companies in August.
    According to the latest lawsuit, first reported by InformationWeek, customers were told that MMS would be enabled on June 17, 2009, when iPhone OS 3.0 was released.

Full Article:

li2327 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    30D2E555
    Wow. Do you think they will really win? Why is it so impossible for mms to be added to the iPhone?
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16

lusciouslyana no está en línea Stack level 1
    Ok, um, in most cases you have a certain amount of time before you can return the phone. One of the first things I (and most people I know) test is the camera and sending mms messages to see how they look. I'm sure in 10-15 days this issue can be figured out. If you find during that time that you can't, then take it back to the store. Why sue? These frivolous lawsuits are why we have to pay so much for EVERYTHING. Come on people!!

raeford no está en línea Stack level 2
    Quote Originally Posted by lusciouslyana View Post
    Ok, um, in most cases you have a certain amount of time before you can return the phone. One of the first things I (and most people I know) test is the camera and sending mms messages to see how they look. I'm sure in 10-15 days this issue can be figured out. If you find during that time that you can't, then take it back to the store. Why sue? These frivolous lawsuits are why we have to pay so much for EVERYTHING. Come on people!!

I agree with you 100%...common sense seems to be in short supply these days.

PIN/ID
    Retired
    Common sense is why the Lawsuit was filed. The OS Release was announced in Jan 09 along with the MMS/Tethering features. So publicly it was known to everyone (meaning AT&T). AT&T failed to mention anything leading up to the official release in June 09 (almost 6 months later). Then in June at it's release Apple mentions it will be available later this summer.

Does anyone smell anything funny going on?

While I agree common sense has all but left our lives these days it still remains that if Companies didn't take advantage of people by promoting services they can't deliver there would be no lawsuits.

There are so many red flags with this topic and I have no idea what the truth is but no matter how you look at it, it smells bad.

1. AT&T knew for 6 months ahead of time about MMS and Tethering
    2. AT&T has both features on current BB's
    3. I can insert my SIM in my Bold and have MMS and Tethering but when I put it back in my iPhone I get nothing.
    4. AT&T has not publicly offered an explanation as to why the service is not available to iPhone users (That I'm aware of)

Personally I don't care much about either and won't use them. I rarely use MMS on my BB. I do understand the frustration of lots of people tho and I think AT&T or Apple should be held accountable if they have been deceiving it's customers. Sometimes the only way to know is to file the proper papers in Court and have a Judge order their release. Common sense has left us but I'm more concerned about the greedy people/companies.

I feel better now (whew).

pmarshall no está en línea Stack Professional
    Some people gotta complaine, some people wanna get paid!? simple as that. You say you provide a service....then you should have access to that service. Its basically a lie that wasnt clearified.
    HAHA HERO, MY TOUCH

steve2039 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    30760CA8
    Quote Originally Posted by lusciouslyana View Post
    While I agree with this in so many repescts (people sueing nabisco because oreo made them fat or cigarettes that knowingly give them cancer), at&t pushed the iphone on anyone with an upgrade and if you didn't (as an employee) you were harped at until you did.

Plus they started implementing a "restocking fee" on every single device regardless of the reason it was returned and getting a manager to override a DOA was a pain. So even with the 15 days or whatever, the customer still got stuck paying a restock.
    BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.160 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105

steve2039 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    30760CA8
    Sorry I didn't make sense in the post...what I was getting to was kind of the false pretenses under which the iphones were sold...

It just cracks me up when at&t acts like their 3G is gods gift to earth when I'm 20 minutes from atlanta in a huge suburb and don't even get it 2 miles down the road

psi chick no está en línea Stack level 4
    correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't recall att ever saying that mms is availible on the iphone. they said that it WILL be availible late summer, but never put a difinitve date on it.......

PIN/ID
    Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by steve2039 View Post
    Sorry I didn't make sense in the post...what I was getting to was kind of the false pretenses under which the iphones were sold...

It just cracks me up when at&t acts like their 3G is gods gift to earth when I'm 20 minutes from atlanta in a huge suburb and don't even get it 2 miles down the road
    I'm also in the same boat. I have to drive a few miles South to get 3G and also live in a suburb type area. I'm told we will never get 3G. Best I can hope for is the next gen. I'm ok with that and I understand however I don't agree with AT&T being able to tout or promote 3G service on TV etc to it's potential customers. It's simply not true what you see in a TV commercial for example

Quote Originally Posted by psi chick View Post
    correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't recall att ever saying that mms is availible on the iphone. they said that it WILL be availible late summer, but never put a difinitve date on it.......
    That's true.

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    Will ATT deliver, that is the question . . . . .
    THBASSMAN

Carpe Diem!!

thbassmanatpinstackdotcom

Check this out!!! Mobiletropolis

My TORCH Rocks!

RemyKirin no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask me

funny...

I cant help but laugh, I dont use mms too much but I didnt know that the iPhone didnt have it, its a simple service thats been around since around (maybe even b4 I cant remember) phones had color displays. "wanna send MMS? there's an app for.... oh wait, no there's not!" Im gonna have to agree that the is something wrong with this picture. hmmmm... oh well Im glad I have a blackberry, I get MMS, I get multitasking, and my BB doesnt set things on fire lol
    ----
    "If you aren't remembered, then you never existed." – Arisu

"I'm watching a dream I'll never wake up from.." - Spike Spiegel

here_miah no está en línea Stack level 3
    The capability will be released on September 25th, and for someone like myself that waited like forever just to get an iPhone that does video I think waiting another couple weeks won't kill anyone... To those that filed suits- GET A LIFE!
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16

here_miah no está en línea Stack level 3
    Look, I dont know if this has even been brought up or not yet, but to avoid anymore couch-pilot arguing over MMS check this link- its all you need to enable MMS on iPhone 3G, 3G S running 3.1 without having to do a risky downgrade or jailbreak

http://www.iphonehacks.com/2009/09/h...os-31-att.html
    Tilt is fun with WM 6.1, but not enough to kill the need for my nw iPhone 3Gs!!!