For those with iPhone's that have been Jailbroken this may interest you. Powerybase has posted ... Apple iPhone News forum

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired

Apple Blocking PUSH on Jailbroken iPhones

Advertisement

For those with iPhone's that have been Jailbroken this may interest you.

Powerybase has posted an interesting finding based on customer complaints about their App in the App Store. (NotifyMe)

As you've already figured out, NotifyMe is highly dependant on the lastest Push technology provided by Apple. Push is available only for the last three weeks publicly since iPhone OS 3.0 came out and many applications already benefit from its capabilities. There are many various usages for Push, a lot of Push based applications are yet to come.

So what's the problem? We've received hundreds of support request in the last few days since NotifyMe appeared on the App Store. Unfortunately, about 80% of them are from the users with unlocked iPhones. They've bought the application and are mostly angry, sad or hopeless and the worst part is that we can't really help them. Push simply does not work reliably or does not work at all on any unlocked device, no matter what Push application is used. We understand that unlocked iPhones break Apple's and carriers' bussiness and there isn't really a way to fight against it. We also understand that Apple has invested a lot of money, resources and time into developing the APNS infrastructure. That's really great. In the last two years, Apple has redefined the mainstream smartphone market and clearly deserves a credit (and money) for it

Read More.......

Press Release...
    Last edited by srl7741; 07-13-2009 at 08:44 PM.

chrisbc no está en línea Stack level 2
    Very difficult predicament to be in as a developer. I am so glad I make apps for the BlackBerry and don't have to worry about Apple's tyrant ways...
    The maker of Viira: GTD BlackBerry app

bmay82 no está en línea Stack Professional
    al the more reason when mine comes back from apple its going up for sale...lol
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

Capdot no está en línea Stack level 5
    Bummer.

Now people are gonna have to decide if they want to jailbreak their phones for the ability to multitask or not jailbreak to have push services.

A lot of iphone fans are gonna be imad.

PIN/ID
    Retired
    Let's not jump the gun and think everything using PUSH does not work across the board. I just found this one interesting. I have several iPhones one of which is JB'n and PUSH works on it. So IDK if this means eventually it will stop PUSHING or if maybe TMO customers will see the effects or something else?

It's something to keep a close eye on for now to see what if anything pops up next.

gorcorps no está en línea Stack level 3
    Now wait a minute, there's something here that's very important to clarify. The title says they're 'blocking push on jailbroken phones' but the article says is for UNLOCKED PHONES. Jailbreaking is not the same as unlocked so it'd be best to keep that squared away. The way it is now it sounds like Apple is screwing over people like me who are on ATT w/ the iphone legitimately but just jailbroke.

However, it's not like that at all. Push is just broken on other networks which makes sense because different networks will do things differently. Apple only knows how to get things working properly with their APNS through AT&T as that's their partner. They're not 'blocking' anything, it just doesn't work and they're under no obligation to spend money supporting people that didn't go through the official network.

^^^ Good point.

VETT98 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    friends
    wow
    Mike

squeakr no está en línea Stack level 4
    Actually nobody knows what is happening. The article I read said that the push notification problems were resulting on the devices that were "hacktivated" meaning they were jailbroken, unlocked, and then activated through the bypass system rather than directly through iTunes, the recommended way from Apple and AT$T (but impossible to do if not on an AT$T account, hence the "hacktivation"). It was speculated that since the devices were not "correctly" activated through iTunes, they were not able to be seen by the system and therefor not correctly getting the push notifications. Like I say though, this is all speculation. Until someone with the actual information (yeah like they would release that info if they had it) comes forth, we may never know the true reason.

PIN/ID
    Apple
    Isn't the mail being pushed to the phones now. I thought that it used to be you had to log in and load the mailboxs to see new mail. Now it's "pushing" the mail to you. Now, this is my first apple and I haven't really had the time to study everything on here so I know I'm not quite up to speed. The only os I've used has been 3.0.

I think it only pushes through mobileme or you have to use an exchange server, otherwise it still fetches.

PIN/ID
    Retired
    @gorcorps. Good point.

Yahoo supports PUSH and will PUSH email to the iPhone. Services that support PUSH should also PUSH that information to the iPhone. Google email on the other hand is fetch

PIN/ID
    Apple
    Ok. I can look at my phone and I'll notice that I have a new mail message. I don't have to load the mail app to see it. I have yahoo and gmail and they both do the same. Is that pushed or fetched. Sorry for the off topic.

PIN/ID
    Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by BHP77 View Post
    Ok. I can look at my phone and I'll notice that I have a new mail message. I don't have to load the mail app to see it. I have yahoo and gmail and they both do the same. Is that pushed or fetched. Sorry for the off topic.
    Setting-Mail, Contacts, Calendar-fetch new data-
    Make sure PUSH in ON &

scroll down to Advanced-Make sure Push is set for each email account.

Yahoo = Push
    GMail = Fetch

You should also notice for Gmail that Push is not an option. That means it does not support it.
    Yahoo on the other hand has both options available.

Hope that helps?