Over the past few weeks, Apple has been much-maligned for keeping apps such as Google ... Apple iPhone News forum

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired

Apple Bans App Store 3rd Most Prolific Developer

Advertisement

Over the past few weeks, Apple has been much-maligned for keeping apps such as Google Voice off the App Store. These weren’t some random garbage apps; there was no farting, or baby shaking. Google Voice apps are utilities which many have come to rely on, and thus many (including TechCrunch founder Mike Arrington) are none too happy with Apple’s blockade. But what if Apple deleted a completely useless app from the store? What about 900 useless apps - all from one developer? Apple has decided to test those waters: it has revoked the developer’s license of one of the App Store’s most prolific developers, Khalid Shaikh, founder of Perfect Acumen.

Read More

Last edited by azstar; 08-04-2009 at 01:31 PM. Reason: resized image

neorabid no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    neorabid
    thank god! we dont need crap like that floodingthe app store. They are the reason people install programs to "test" apps for free before buyng them.
    Quotes to live by:
    • Inspiration is like a lost sock. When your searching you can never find it, and when it appears, you least expect it.
    • There are no exceptions to the rule that everybody likes to be an exception to the rule.
    • Ideas are the factors that lift civilization. They create revolutions. There is more dynamite in an idea than in many bombs.
    • Realize deeply that the present moment is all you ever have.

calm_tiger no está en línea Stack level 5
    Apple definately needs to get it together and stop letting loosers like Khalid Shaikh invade the AppStore making money off garbage apps. And there are alot of garbage apps. By the time this guy's apps were pulled the damage was already done.
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16

PIN/ID
    Retired
    If an App Developer does not have a web site I can visit I don't download the App. I think it's a RED flag when trying to decide on weather an App is worth it. When the App cost money it's even more important.

RemyKirin no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask me

...nice...

If apple finally gets around to cleaning house the app store numbers are gonna plummet. Thousands of duplicate and buggy apps will start disappearing overnight, and so will another competitive edge over RIM. QC people, QC! lol
    Last edited by RemyKirin; 08-05-2009 at 12:26 AM.
    ----
    "If you aren't remembered, then you never existed." – Arisu

"I'm watching a dream I'll never wake up from.." - Spike Spiegel

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    Notice the first comment towards the bottom? That guy's apps could have made up 6% of the available apps at the store. Wow. It's amazing that someone at Apple even approved 1/4 of these.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

PIN/ID
    Retired
    At first I was thinking "here we go again" Bad Apple but as I read on I was thinking, finally it's about time. I know some people probably like some of the Apps and even use them often but I don't think the Apps should be allowed in the Store. It's abuse and the customers are the one left out to dry.

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    Quote Originally Posted by srl7741 View Post
    At first I was thinking "here we go again" Bad Apple but as I read on I was thinking, finally it's about time. I know some people probably like some of the Apps and even use them often but I don't think the Apps should be allowed in the Store. It's abuse and the customers are the one left out to dry.
    Ditto. I'm wondering if Apple really has a list of criteria they go through before approving an app, or if they line up the submitted apps and throw darts at them to see which ones get picked.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

PIN/ID
    Retired
    I think they have one person with a simulator.

IDK actually and now that I think about it neither does anyone else b/c they don't comment on it nor disclose any of that information.

ziminvades no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Copyright infringement is serious. As an artist I rely on a variable of honesty when creating, posting, or publishing works. I review my work in great depth to adhere to copyrights. That is a factor in which these apps were removed. He is creating apps which steal concepts, thoughts, material, etc. This is criminal. It's sad that after such a lenghty review by apple that they are just now reacting. On the other hand I praise them for taking a step towards protecting others artistic rights and actually monitoring these apps. Regardless of the quality or price of these apps, they are morally wrong. If copyright infringement is stated I would not be suprised to see the victims filing lawsuits.
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11a Safari/525.20

RemyKirin no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask me
    Quote Originally Posted by ziminvades View Post
    Copyright infringement is serious. As an artist I rely on a variable of honesty when creating, posting, or publishing works. I review my work in great depth to adhere to copyrights. That is a factor in which these apps were removed. He is creating apps which steal concepts, thoughts, material, etc. This is criminal. It's sad that after such a lenghty review by apple that they are just now reacting. On the other hand I praise them for taking a step towards protecting others artistic rights and actually monitoring these apps. Regardless of the quality or price of these apps, they are morally wrong. If copyright infringement is stated I would not be suprised to see the victims filing lawsuits.
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11a Safari/525.20
    well first of all if you actually create something from scratch and you had no idea that it was a similar idea and can prove that you didnt knowingly copy it then ur safe from lawsuit at least, however lets be honest here Im betting most of the apps on the app store arent copyrighted. Most of the people that made apps prolly didnt go through the hassel to try because most of the apps on there copy functionality from other ones there. If we are lucky maybe 1/4 of the apps on the app store are original, but thats prolly being generous.And also the guy didnt really make any of the apps either it said that he tokk existing ones and repackaged them. Its a lil different although none the less wrong. Apple has to be careful on the can of worms they open, they have too much to lose here. Its easier for RIM to enforce QC and copyright rules because they are just starting and dont have quite that many apps yet.
    ----
    "If you aren't remembered, then you never existed." – Arisu

"I'm watching a dream I'll never wake up from.." - Spike Spiegel