The Federal Trade Commission has begun an inquiry into whether the close ties between the ... Apple iPhone News forum

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!

Apple and Google Ties Are Scrutinized

The Federal Trade Commission has begun an inquiry into whether the close ties between the boards of two of technology’s most prominent companies, Apple and Google, amount to a violation of antitrust laws, according to several people briefed on the inquiry.

Apple and Google share two directors, Eric E. Schmidt, chief executive of Google, and Arthur Levinson, former chief executive of Genentech. The Clayton Antitrust Act of 1914 prohibits a person’s presence on the board of two rival companies when it would reduce competition between them. The two companies increasingly compete in the cellphone and operating systems markets.
    Antitrust experts say the provision against “interlocking directorates,” known as Section 8 of the act, is rarely enforced. Nevertheless, the agency has already notified Google and Apple of its interest in the matter, according to the people briefed on the inquiry, who agreed to speak on condition of anonymity because the inquiry was confidential.

Read more here
    Last edited by jblackfish; 05-05-2009 at 09:09 AM.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional

I wondered

I have always wondered if YouTube is serving as a storefront for iTunes now. Look up any music video on YouTube, and there is a iTunes Ad that pops up for that Video linking you to the iTunes Store to buy the song or video.

Even so I think someone is chasing their tale for something to do.

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    Interesting article. Esp with Google emerging as a smartphone competitor almost over night. Amazing how fast business models can change.