There's been a lot of talk in the smartphone world about the new iPhone 3GS ... Apple iPhone News forum

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

8 features iPhone 3GS has that iPhone 3G doesn't.

Advertisement

There's been a lot of talk in the smartphone world about the new iPhone 3GS and if it's a worthwhile upgrade from the iPhone 3G or from any other smartphone for that matter. Here is a list of new features and capabilities of iPhone 3GS over iPhone 3G:

1) Faster CPU
    -- The iPhone 3GS CPU (central processing unit) upgraded from ARM 11 412 MHz to ARM Cortex 600 MHz,

2) Faster graphics -- the GPU (graphics processing unit) upgraded from PowerVR MBX Lite to PowerVR SGX

3) More system memory -- RAM (random access memory) upgraded from 128 MB to 256 MB.

4) 3-megapixel autofocus camera -- Megapixel count is only part of the story when it comes to quality of digital photos. When comparing photo quality the small jump from 2mp to 3mp does not give one a full picture the vast improvements. Clarity and color correctness are greatly improved. (See below video)

5) Video recording --
    Not only can the new 3GS record video but videos can be edited on the fly. A tap of the camera toggle switches from photo to video. Then you’re ready to record 30-fps VGA video in portrait or widescreen landscape. As far as editing goes, it is VERY basic. You can "trim" videos. That is useful however, because how many times have you wanted to share a video from your smartphone and couldn't because of it's beginning or ending frames.

6) Compass -- The built-in digital compass works just like a magnetic needle compass and can instantly let you know which way you’re facing. (See video below)

7) Voice Control -- Voice Control recognizes the names in your Contacts and knows the songs on your iPod. Also voice control supports a host of languages... Chinese (Cantonese), Chinese (China), Chinese (Taiwan), DutchEnglish (UK), English (U.S.), FinnishFrench (Canada), French (France), German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese (Brazil), Portuguese (Portugal), Russian, Spanish (Mexico), Spanish (Spain) and Swedish

8) Nike + iPod -- More details here

Also note as a result of the faster performance there is also Faster web browsing. The iPhone 3GS Safari web browsing experience is noticeably faster than its predecessor. Multiple 3rd party tests have confirmed this. It also leaves the system more responsive due to it's increased system memory. (See video below)

Related videos:

Of course, if you are upgrading from the 1st generation iPhone, then in addition to the above list you'll also get 9) MMS, 10) Stereo Bluetooh and 11) Internet tethering as all-new iPhone features. (Some depend on carrier/location).

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask
    Made some corrections.

calm_tiger no está en línea Stack level 5
    Those were nice demonstrations. I can definately vouch that the 3GS overal package is better hands down and worth the upgrade.
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    +1 for what calm_tiger said. I went from the 3G to 3GS. I'm glad I did.
    I've followed Carlos on YouTube for awhile now, he does a good job with several things.

All great stuff.

beeshabo no está en línea Stack level 6
    It's funny, me and two other coworkers all have iPhones, we're in the same office. One girl has the 1st gen iPhone, the other has the 3G iPhone and I have the 3GS. With the phones side by side, it is CLEAR that the iPhone 3GS is by far the fastest, it also takes better pictures and of course captures video..I'm very happy I passed on both the iPhone and iPhone 3G and waiting until Apply damn near perfected it, and well, the 3GS is pretty damn close LOL