Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

I made this Guide primarily in order to show people how to backup their purchased ... BlackBerry News forum

Rhokk222 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    204FF9DF

Ultimate Guide to Backing-Up 3rd Party Apps/Games *PICS*

Advertisement

I made this Guide primarily in order to show people how to backup their purchased games, apps, and themes. Sometimes things go wrong when upgrading to a new OS. Well now you can have relative peace of mind when upgrading/downgrading!

. Get JL_Cmder 1.9.0.zip from here...

http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...d=5&linkid=452

2. Open the download, it is a zip file. Run JL_Cmder v1.9.0.exe to install. It will install to C:\Program Files\JL_Cmder\ by default. The installer will install multiple files however the only file that we will need is JavaLoader.exe

3. If you double click javaloader.exe, you will notice that it opens and closes. There are a few ways to combat this but to make it simple, I uploaded a shortcut for everyone to use. All this shortcut does is run CMD.EXE which is "DOS" (kinda). It already points to the folder that javaloader is in. If you don't want to use my shortcut then you can make your own! However, if you don't want to bother then download my shortcut here...

http://www.4shared.com/file/44659734...rShortcut.html

Unzip it and place it on your desktop.

4. Connect your BlackBerry via USB cable to your computer. Make sure you don't have DesktopManger running. ALSO! -make sure you have mass storage turned ON. Find this in OPTIONS>ADVANCED OPTIONS>MEDIA CARD>

5. Double click your javaloader shortcut. It should now stay open and you should see this...

6. I will use an OTA theme that I bought as an example. Its called Zenergy Black Today. In order to save this theme to the computer I have to type this DOS command in...

After entering the name and hitting enter, your theme/app/game will be backed up in the same folder that javaloader is in. It will have the extension of .cod
    By the way, congrats on your new backup!

...now your probably wondering "how the heck do I find out what the exact name of my theme/app/game is?" Simple! On your Blackberry go to OPTIONS>ADVANCED OPTIONS>APPLICATIONS, now find what you want to save, highlight it, press the menu button. Then click VIEW PROPERTIES. You should see something like this screen...

7. In order to put my theme back on my phone, I can use one of 2 methods.
    A. First is the quick way of using javaloader. Do this by putting this command in...

... notice that instead of "save", I now have to use "load". Also I have to put .cod on the end of the file name or it won't load the file back on the phone. This was the quick way. The drawback to using the quick method is sometimes whatever you just loaded won't appear in OPTIONS>ADVANCED OPTIONS>APPLICATIONS. Also sometimes when using the DesktopManager, things you loaded up using javaloader will be UNRECOGNIZED and DesktopManger will warn you that it will be deleted if you continue with the Application Loader. Still, if this ever happens, it takes like 10 seconds to load said file back on your phone using javaloader again.
    B. Second way of loading your saved .cod file back on your phone is by making a .alx file and loading the app/game/theme with Desktop Manager...
    This is really easy to do but to speed up the process, I have uploaded a default .alx file that you can modify. Get this here...

http://www.4shared.com/file/44659460...xfileONLY.html

Once you download this zip file to your desktop and extract the .alx, open up the .alx with notepad or just right click it and select "edit". You should see this...

...To show you the areas that you need to edit, I made circles below. Red can be anything you want really, doesn't matter. Blue NEEDS to be the exact file name (case sensitive) of your .cod that javaloader made.

also make sure that after your done editing this .alx that you name it the same as your .cod file only of course it will have .alx at the end instead of .cod

Once you have your edited .alx, just place it next to your .cod and fire up the Desktop Manager and proceed to install your backup the way it was meant to be installed! This method takes a little longer but is better because you can find the app under APPLICATIONS and Desktop Manager shouldn't try to erase it.

Using the above .alx produced this on my blackberry...

you can see how my edited .alx was incorporated by the BlackBerry.

Final note: Sorry if I went into TOO much detail. I tried to make it so that someone with zero knowledge can do this. I hope this was helpful! PM me for any further questions.
    Last edited by Rhokk222; 04-20-2008 at 02:38 AM.
    ...always tinkering...

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    I'm having trouble seeing the pics......they are coming up as a tiny box with a red x........tried refreshing the page several times but no luck

edit: and the link for the default alx file just comes up with a blank white page for me....
    Last edited by azstar; 04-19-2008 at 03:21 PM.
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

ray_1060 no está en línea Stack level 2
    Yep same here.

PIN/ID
    204FF9DF
    hmmm they appear on my screen... let me try hosting them elsewhere! sorry stackers -gimmie a min

*EDITED* ok i think i fixed the images... let me know if they still aren't working. (if still broken, someone might have to give me a "how-to")

*EDITED AGAIN* ok now my 2 downloads are working! geez getting my links to work was harder than the write up ><

*LAST EDIT* thanks for helping me with my links Azstar!
    Last edited by Rhokk222; 04-19-2008 at 05:08 PM.
    ...always tinkering...

Charneus no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24372D18
    The downside to this is now I can purchase a game or ringtone or whatever, save it with this, then send it to a friend who can upload it for free. But love the guide. I've ran out of room on my bb with all the games I have, and I needed to remove some, but I didn't want to remove the purchased content! :P

Charneus

jeffallen8 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?
    Nice work man. Thanks for posting the tink on the video on the bb 8100 thread to lol

Awesome, I just followed your instructions to make a backup .cod and .alx of the free blackjack game from the BB homepage. Originally available OTA only, but I was able to use the application loader to add it back on via DM. And I have it safe on my PC in case they pull it and I can delete it and reload it whenever..............now to do the same thing with my Crossbar theme so I'll never lose it!!!!!!

Thanks!!!! I'd give you more trust points if I could!!!!

ps. Don't anyone ask me for a copy of the Crossbar theme I'm using this strictly for backing up and saving my legitimate purchases.....and saving copies of free games and themes so I won't have to go searching for them again later.
    Twitter? My Apps List

PIN/ID
    204FF9DF
    Quote Originally Posted by Charneus View Post
    The downside to this is now I can purchase a game or ringtone or whatever, save it with this, then send it to a friend who can upload it for free. But love the guide. I've ran out of room on my bb with all the games I have, and I needed to remove some, but I didn't want to remove the purchased content! :PCharneus
    Most of the really good stuff is tied to your phone's PIN so it won't help the pirates. The guide was posted only for the legit reasons!
    ...always tinkering...

capo14 no está en línea Stack level 2
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ ty bro YOU ROCK . Gj bro

PIN/ID
    LESS
    hmm very nice thanks

Can I rename the .cod files?

The reason I ask is this, I have downloaded and saved 2 different Today Plus themes, one where the 5 icons dock on the bottom and one where they dock on the right side of the screen.

The .cod files are named today_plus and todayplus. It's hard to remember which is which, so can I rename the cod files Today Plus Bottom and Today Plus Side?? and then when I create my .alx can I just name them the same as the renamed .cod files?

Or will I screw things up by renaming them?
    Twitter? My Apps List

PIN/ID
    204FF9DF
    Quote Originally Posted by azstar View Post
    Can I rename the .cod files?

The reason I ask is this, I have downloaded and saved 2 different Today Plus themes, one where the 5 icons dock on the bottom and one where they dock on the right side of the screen.

The .cod files are named today_plus and todayplus. It's hard to remember which is which, so can I rename the cod files Today Plus Bottom and Today Plus Side?? and then when I create my .alx can I just name them the same as the renamed .cod files?

Or will I screw things up by renaming them?
    its no problem to rename them. just make sure that the .alx and the .cod have the same exact (case sensitive) name. also, if you rename the 2 files, open your .alx and edit that last part where the name of the .cod file is. it is the blue circle that i pointed out in the guide.
    ...always tinkering...

Awesome, thanks, I'll give it a try later......but right now it's grocery shopping time ....I'd rather play with my BB
    Twitter? My Apps List

FF2
    FF2 no está en línea Stack level 2
    Is there a simple way of getting a list of all the installed COD files on the unit? Rather than the Status/Advanced...../Properties for each one individually?

gritsinct no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    This is a fantastic thread with very helpful information. Thanks!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast