Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Version 1 Built-in GPS can be used with BlackBerry Maps and third party mapping applications. ... BlackBerry News forum

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Troubleshooting built-in GPS on BlackBerry

Advertisement

Version 1

Built-in GPS can be used with BlackBerry Maps and third party mapping applications. When a BlackBerry device user is unable to use built-in GPS, the following should be checked to ensure that built-in GPS is functioning
    • GPS signal. In order for built-in GPS to work the BlackBerry device is required to be in an area of good coverage so that there is a strong enough signal. If the BlackBerry device is in a building or another area that is covered and is unable to get a signal, the BlackBerry device user must move to an area where the BlackBerry device is exposed to open sky. Some modern cars are now fitted with Athermic windshields which can affect the strength of the GPS signal in the car.
    • GPS status. To locate details of the last time the BlackBerry device obtained a signal, on the BlackBerry device open Options > Advanced Options > GPS. The Fix time will indicate the last time the BlackBerry device got a GPS signal.
    • Refreshing GPS. If the GPS is unable to get a signal, the GPS can be refreshed to force the GPS to attempt to obtain a signal. To refresh the GPS, on the BlackBerry device select Options > Advanced Options > GPS, press the Menu key and select Refresh GPS. The screen will display Searching for Satellites and will be updated with the signal information.
    • IT policy. The BlackBerry device GPS IT policy setting can be used to specify whether an application can access the BlackBerry device GPS APIs. If the BlackBerry device user is using a BlackBerry Enterprise Server and is experiencing issues with using the GPS with an application, check the IT policy to ensure that this is not set to prevent the application accessing the GPS API.
    • GPS with BlackBerry Maps. The GPS feature can be used with the BlackBerry Maps application to provide mapping and navigation information. To use the GPS feature with the BlackBerry maps application, on the BlackBerry device open BlackBerry Maps. In BlackBerry Maps press the Menu key and select Navigate. The BlackBerry device will then attempt to get a signal and display the BlackBerry device user's present location on the map.

Version 2

Global Positioning System (GPS) is now being added as a feature to some BlackBerry smartphones. The GPS feature can be used with BlackBerry Maps and other third party applications.
    This article provides GPS troubleshooting steps that should be performed before escalating an issue to BlackBerry Technical Support Services. It is specifically aimed at resolving issues with GPS connectivity for BlackBerry smartphones with internal GPS antennae. For BlackBerry smartphones that are paired with a GPS receiver, additional troubleshooting may be required.
    When a BlackBerry smartphone user reports that they are unable to use the GPS feature the following should be checked to ensure the GPS is functioning:
    Achieving a signal GPS Signal

In order for the GPS to work, the BlackBerry smartphone must be in an area of good coverage so that the GPS can achieve a signal. If the BlackBerry smartphone is in a building or an area that is covered and is unable to achieve a signal, take it to a window or an area outdoors.

Some modern cars are now fitted with Athermic windscreens. These windscreens can affect the GPS signal coming through the windscreen. If the BlackBerry smartphone cannot achieve a signal in the vehicle, ensure that the BlackBerry smartphone user attempts to achieve a signal outside of the vehicle.
    Checking the GPS Status

To locate details of the last time the BlackBerry device achieved a signal
    1. From the BlackBerry smartphone Home screen, click Options > Advanced Options > GPS.
    2. The last time the BlackBerry smartphone was in GPS coverage will be indicated under Fix time.
    Refreshing GPS

If the GPS is unable to achieve a signal, the GPS can be refreshed. This action will force the GPS to attempt to obtain a new fix.
    To refresh the GPS
    1. From the BlackBerry smartphone Home screen, select Options > Advanced Options > GPS.
    2. Press the Menu button, and then click Refresh GPS. The screen will display Searching for Satellites and, after a short period, the screen should be updated with the new fix information.
    IT Policy

The Device GPS IT Policy setting can be used to specify whether an application can access the BlackBerry smartphone GPS application programming interface (API). If the BlackBerry device is active on a BlackBerry Enterprise Server and is experiencing issues using the GPS with an application, check the IT Policy to ensure that this is not set to prevent the application accessing the GPS API.
    GPS with BlackBerry Maps

The GPS feature can be used with the BlackBerry Maps application to provide mapping and navigation information.
    To use the GPS feature with the BlackBerry maps application
    1. From the BlackBerry smartphone Home screen, click BlackBerry Maps.
    2. Press the Menu button, and then select Navigate. The BlackBerry smartphone will then attempt to achieve a signal and display the current position of the BlackBerry smartphone on the map.

jrj3104 no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Re: Troubleshooting built-in GPS on BlackBerry

I re-read Hayden's piece several times i an attempt to figure out why the GPS on my Alltell 8830 only works sporadically.

Hayden states:
    GPS status. To locate details of the last time the BlackBerry device obtained a signal, on the BlackBerry device open Options > Advanced Options > GPS. The Fix time will indicate the last time the BlackBerry device got a GPS signal.

I have performed this step and I get two screen choices:

1) GPS Data Source - Device GPS
    2) GPS Services - Location ON

There is no other information on the screen tht would indicate Fix Time.

What am I doing wrong?

Firefishe no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: Troubleshooting built-in GPS on BlackBerry

Nothing. You're doing nothing wrong.

The meateads at RIM who designed the CDMA 8830 didn't keep the menus on the GPS page the same as their GSM cousins.

What purpose this serves is anybody's guess. Guess someone was too lazy at the Java IDE that day to program the Refresh GPS feature or the rest of the page that even indicates Latitude and Longitude, number of satellites, or even an accuracy indicator.

GSM=Got Satellites More

CDMA=Can't Do Much Anymore.

Soon as I can, I'm going back to GSM and an 8310 or 8820.

Regards,
    Firefishe

nate54o no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    241C3AE2

i THOUGHT my 8100 came with GPS built in, i go to GPS and its a blank screen, i press menu and it just says switch app and close.

nvisi0n no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    30B4DB5C

8100 - No GPS

tomtom212 no está en línea Stack level 1

I have the Blackberry Pearl 8130 and the GPS works fine with Google Maps, but Blackberry Maps doesn't recognize the fact that the phone provides GPS. Under the BB Maps menu, in Options, I have the GPS Source setting. My choices are 'None', and 'HS850' (my bluetooth headset). I do have the Blackberry GPS options set to 'device on', and like I said Google Maps does make use of the GPS functionality.

Seems odd that Blackberry's own software doesn't interface correctly with their phone's functionality.

Anyone else seeing this?

slickster93 no está en línea Stack level 1

Yes. I have the same problem. My GPS Source says "none" and it's the only option in the settings. Can someone please help. thanks.

richboy8701 no está en línea Stack level 1
    my dont work

radius911 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Got the same story with my pearl 8130
    i took it for the gps apps, and i'm a bit confused....
    i need it to work everyday...
    I'll have to call Bell mobility to get it fixed....

emindede no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by slickster93 View Post
    Yes. I have the same problem. My GPS Source says "none" and it's the only option in the settings. Can someone please help. thanks.
    I also have same problem. My 8830 shows "none" in the GPS Source screen.
    Please help me...

(Btw, my carrier is not Verizone)

dbellirv no está en línea Stack level 2
    I am with Telus and I KNOW that they allow gps and mapping as I had a BB before this one.

I just bought the 8330 Curve, and when I go to start gps it says "unable to acquire gps lock".

Any ideas? I am desperate, I love the curve but I need my BB Maps! (Not a fan of google maps, tried that too with no luck).

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

calyx no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    20e17df5

Question

So I've owned an AT&T Blackberry 8310 for about a month now, and the GPS seems to function well most of the time, but in Google Maps it still often relies on cell towers rather than using the within 5m that the GPS is reporting.

I have tried refreshing the GPS multiple times, but the Fix Time has never changed from March 25, 2008 12:30 AM. So somehow it has been functioning a good part of the time, but I think the Google Maps delay in actually reporting more accuracy might be due to a refresh needed of the GPS. But if this fix time never updates....

Any ideas on this?

RichardPG no está en línea Stack level 1
    I have a 8830we with Bell Moblity and when I first had it the GPS worked. Mid January the GPS stopped working. In calling the tech's at Bell I was told that Bell had deactivated the GPS unless I paid the extra 10/month for the GPS Nav. Now I have to run GPS Nav let it warm up the GPS then I can run BB maps or Google maps. I am pretty choked that I have to pay extra just to use something that is built in.

BikerSpike no está en línea Stack level 1
    Am i right in guessing that the 8707 does not have built in GPS ?
    llama llama duck :op

asif9t9 no está en línea Stack level 2

Internal GPS always has the wrong time.

I have tried nav4all and amazeGPS, and now I purchased Garmin for Blackberry. Garmin (ver 5.0.4) works very well. But I have noticed that will all three programs, the time is always off. It varies from a few minutes to half an hour. I contacted Garmin, but they told me my internal GPS may need repair if it is reporting the incorrect time.

Anyone else notice this problem? I just assumed GPS's can't tell time, but actually I don't see this as a typical problem around the interweb.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast