Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Native HTML email was #1 on BlackBerry users list of -must have's- two years ago. ... BlackBerry News forum

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

Are Third party HTML email viewers for BlackBerry history?

Advertisement

Native HTML email was #1 on BlackBerry users list of -must have's- two years ago. So what did we do before HTML feature was added? Empower and BBSmart HTML Email Viewer -- here were two very similar products one could use to achieve "like HTML" viewing in the default email app on the BlackBerry. But I think they were so much more. You can also color code fonts/backgrounds according to email accounts. For me, I have four email accounts coming in and its nice to just open up the email from the messages icon and tell exactly which email account it came into just from the colors. I like the parsed links and the ability to see the actual smileys put into a post or email. When viewing a post from PinStack where an image has been embedded, the image shows completely (no links to click on -- see screenshots below)

I have reloaded Empower Email Viewer (Pro Edition) back onto my Bold and I love it. I know that the iPhone users are secretly snickering under their breath right now ... for anyone who hasn't seen the beautiful rendering of email the iPhone does, its awesome!My question, are any BlackBerry users still using one of these apps?

Not sure how long the trials are, but here are the links:
    Empower Standard (without PIM integration) $10
    Empower Pro (more customization, faster speeds) $29.99
    BB Smart $29.95
    Last edited by cherrichiodo; 08-07-2009 at 05:35 PM. Reason: added links to applications

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    I do not Cherri, but now you have me wanting to try one out. I still have to tell my device to fetch the images in an email. Do either of these have trials?
    BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.231 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100

KalebsDad78 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Just Ask
    I have used the BBSmart HTML Viewer for the last 2 yrs or so. However, now that I have the Tour (using BPS), it does not work with this device so I am back to regular BB email...which I do not like. I loved having the HTML view and also the color-coded option depending on the email account I was viewing.

I hope BBSmart updates their compatibility soon.
    New User? - Read the NEW USERS GUIDE

tnlf11 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    21A88930
    I used BBSmart, but after OS 4.5 it seems like it doesn't work as well and pic loading takes forever. So, I disabled it and don't really use it anymore. I don't know if there is an update for it but needless to say, I'm very disappointed with BBSmart after spending almost $30 on it. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

PIN/ID
    ATA
    Quote Originally Posted by MStrawder View Post
    I do not Cherri, but now you have me wanting to try one out. I still have to tell my device to fetch the images in an email. Do either of these have trials?
    BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.231 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100
    I added some links to the end of the OP. Not sure the length of the trial but the option to select is there. I like the ability to do more customization in the email/messages app. It really does help to keep organized when having more than one email delivered to your device

Quote Originally Posted by tnlf11 View Post
    I used BBSmart, but after OS 4.5 it seems like it doesn't work as well and pic loading takes forever. So, I disabled it and don't really use it anymore. I don't know if there is an update for it but needless to say, I'm very disappointed with BBSmart after spending almost $30 on it. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.
    Not 100% sure. It appears as though I purchased BBSmart too (both are in my downloads on the PC at Mobihand) but when I log on via the device, only Empower shows as an option to redownload so that is why I chose it over BBSmart.

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    I have liscences for both BBSmart and Empower. Both had various issues with 4.5 compatability but BBSmart has worked better of the two for me. I also sent numerous support emails to empower about issue that they never replied to. Since then I have upgraded 4.5 versions several times but have not retried empower. The images do load a bit slow but still look better than the native emails.

A tip for those who try it, be sure that the native BB HTML option is set to no for each address...seems to make it work better for me. I still occasionally have troubles with some emails with attachments show up in regular native view and the bbsmart view is not an option....but this is rare.

I do wish they would continue to work on perfecting them because RIM's version is just sad!
    BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.160 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/106

ShellyMiddleton no está en línea Stack level 2
    I have to admit that I tried the trials of both BBSmart and Empower on my Storm and was not impressed with either app. I like the way my native email looks. Neither of the other 3rd party apps allowed me the ability to use the newer fonts (BBAlpha Sans and BBAlpha Serif) and I really don't like the older ones. I just wish there was an app that would allow images to automatically download within the native mail app.

PIN/ID
    ATA
    Empower does have BBAlpha fonts to choose from (maybe they either aren't available on the storm version or maybe they added it after you downloaded it?)

My needs are purely for more customization ... and ATT doesn't auto load images. you have to click a couple of screens to get the images to load.

cornelious0_0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    235B134C
    While I am very used to the native email on my Bold, I will admit that some of the options that the 3rd party apps provide are quite useful.

To the whole "have to tell it to load images" thing, I will say that RIM's claim to fame has always been security, and there is still enough of a security risk in auto-downloading images for them to block it.

I'm perfectly happy with my Bold the way it is and have no major gripes with the email display, even with mail incoming from two email accounts.

~via Blackberry Bold running 4.6.0.282~
    BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.282 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/107

visionthing no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ASK ME
    I use E-mobilesoft, today professional edition. Its diffinitely for me one of the nicer looking homepages out there. The emails open much better then with my default message loader. And for $29.95 you get more than just email. They had their share of problems before, but they do try and usually do resolve the issue. There are a few feature lacking for me, but I can work around it. Check it out, here's a link:
    http://www.e-mobilesoft.com/

Also I just went to their website and notice they have a new email app with a load of feature.

P.S. Hey Cherri how do one increase your stack and trust level.
    Last edited by cherrichiodo; 08-07-2009 at 08:24 PM.

PIN/ID
    ATA
    Quote Originally Posted by visionthing View Post
    P.S. Hey Cherri how do one increase your stack and trust level.
    Pinstack.com - Trust Level System Explained

Explanation on stack level

visionthing no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ASK ME
    Thanks

bond56 no está en línea Stack level 2

Empower

I use empower but it only works on one email account How do I get it to work on all my emails

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    Just checked on them Cherri and the site says incompatible with my 8900. Going to download the free trials and give 'em a shot anyways.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

simonintx no está en línea Stack level 2
    I had BBsmart on my Pearl and loved it. I moved to a Storm and it wasn't supported because my registration key wasn't valid so I emailed the developer. They issued me a new registration key and it works on the Storm. I like it over the native version. Cherri is right about the customization. I do wish it downloaded images faster.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast