WIRELESS Internet access is no longer a rarefied luxury. It’s free in cafes, parks, fast-food ... BlackBerry News forum

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!

The Price of Staying Connected

Advertisement

WIRELESS Internet access is no longer a rarefied luxury. It’s free in cafes, parks, fast-food chains, campgrounds and gas stations — yes, gas stations.

Yet in some places travelers still must pay for Wi-Fi access, and perhaps nowhere is that more disturbing than in an upscale hotel room.

While many budget and midscale hotel chains have largely given up on charging guests for Wi-Fi, fees persist at more luxurious sister hotels — typically about $9.95 to $19.95 a day.

Wi-Fi is free, for example, for travelers staying at Starwood’s Aloft. At Starwood’s W Hotels, the service costs roughly $12.95 to $16.95 for 24 hours. This disparity has long perplexed travelers. But in this economy, with expense accounts drying up and vacationers increasingly looking for deals, having to pay to use the Internet at your hotel seems increasingly absurd.

(read more)
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

For the frequent traveler I'm starting to see and appreciate the option to tether with your Blackberry! Charging for wireless in upscale hotels is shocking to me!
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    I will be using my 8120, wireless TMo card and/or my new Dell 13" Studio XPS notebook (when I get the notebook and card) for travelling.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

kkwus74 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    320FB874
    Quote Originally Posted by EricaJ1073 View Post
    I will be using my 8120, wireless TMo card and/or my new Dell 13" Studio XPS notebook (when I get the notebook and card) for travelling.
    do they charge for roaming?

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    If you're asking if they charge for roaming using the wireless card, I don't know yet. Haven't gotten it.

Quote Originally Posted by EricaJ1073 View Post
    If you're asking if they charge for roaming using the wireless card, I don't know yet. Haven't gotten it.
    Quote Originally Posted by kkwus74 View Post
    do they charge for roaming?
    They shouldn't charge for roaming! Using those cards wireless cards is an expensive option IMO. They should be national coverage. I'd like to know if it's not - a call to the carrier would answer I guess.

PIN/ID
    320FB874
    Quote Originally Posted by jblackfish View Post
    They shouldn't charge for roaming! Using those cards wireless cards is an expensive option IMO. They should be national coverage. I'd like to know if it's not - a call to the carrier would answer I guess.
    yea thats true nationally.....but maybe internationally could be cheaper paying for the wifi?

Quote Originally Posted by kkwus74 View Post
    yea thats true nationally.....but maybe internationally could be cheaper paying for the wifi?
    For sure internationally, paying for wi-fi could be cheaper than roaming charges. It could be WAY cheaper, especially if it's free which is still a possibility outside the US too.

PIN/ID
    320FB874
    i know sprint has a $69.99 blackberry unlimited internationally roaming plan for data....i havnt really looked into that but that could be a cheaper option for internatioal trevellers if youre on sprint.

javatyger no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    U5W15H
    I just us the Rocket Stick from Rogers for my service, since it covers all GSM service areas. No additional fees for roaming in Canada, and it's only .03 cents per MB when roaming in the States.
    My Smartphone History - 7130e -> 8130 Pearl -> 8330 Curve -> iPhone 3G -> Javelin(Curve 8900)